Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Icaros Desktop 1.3  (Read 9251 times)

Description:

Offline trekiejTopic starter

Icaros Desktop 1.3
« on: June 08, 2011, 12:31:27 AM »
After watching Steve in his new video I decided to download Icaros Desktop 1.3.
After installing it to Virtual Box, I see it is much more stable than I have seen before.
Good work to all working on it.

I was going to wait a while for Aros to get more bundled up with UAE, M68k, Aros KickStart,etc.
I am glad it is going well.

One thing I need to fix is the screen resolution. I run at 1600 x 900 and Icaros wants to run at 1600 x 1200. I have to close the Wanderer prompts. I have not been able to get around it yet.

I also can not get Mplayer to view Youtube videos. I am wonder if YT has changed there site.

I hope that a test video and audio get included into future releases.

Quake and Doom ran well but Doom did not have any sound.

Later.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline RMK305

• Show only replies by RMK305
Re: Icaros Desktop 1.3
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 02:51:56 AM »
Cheers for the heads up on the video, just watched it there. I'm waiting to see what sort of system Steve comes out with to replace the imica's as I'm quite keep to give Aros a try once it makes a little more progress.
Amiga 4000, Warp Engine 040/40MHz, CV643D with scan doubler module, Tocatta soundcard, Deneb, 72Meg fast ram, 18 gig scsi hard drive.

3xA500, 1xA1200, 1xCD32

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:07:16 AM »
I found that I can put VBox into a scale mode.
I am running in full screen now.
I will try later to see how much of Wanderer I need to close to get the screen size to work.
1024 x 768 seems to be limiting.

Aros seems to be running smooth.
I will try other sites to see how they are.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:20:17 AM »
Virtual Box seems to be faster on my system than Qemu.
I tried the html5 beta on http://www.youtube.com/html5 and I got undefined and the video did not
play.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 07:30:11 AM »
I still am not able to get Aros to go 1600 x 900.
I do not have the Wanderer prompts anymore.
I guess that was qemu situation.
I booted off the dvd and I have no sound or ether net. I am using usb wireless anyway.
The video was good at 1280 x 1024.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:47:54 AM »
A kind Amigan gave me a link on how to change VBox to 1600 x 900.
I went ahead and changed the 1024 x 768 configuration on grub to 1600 x 900 and then went full screen.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:38:36 AM »
I would like to add that when I push a key on the keyboard it produces a '('. It seems to do this once. I have changed the setting to American 104. I think it has fixed it.

I am liking Murks. I have been making a basic program with it. It is a basic "Hello World" program.
The stability has been greatly improved. I guess if I keep using it I will see for sure.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 06:58:51 PM »
So I was excited to see a new release, I booted it up in Virtual PC, and was amazed at how polished it looked! Instantly I put in my Amiga Forever disk and let it auto configure Ami-Bridge. After this I tried to start up Ami-Bridge in the Prefs so I could tweak the options, but....

it won't load.

Also, I am not getting any audio in Virtual PC.

So my question is:

What emulator works fast and support AROS's audio.

What emulator will not prevent Ami-Bridge/Janus Prefs from loading?
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 10:33:50 PM »
I can set the sound card and play a test sound, but when videos are played they run fast and have no sound.
I will try a different VBox sound setting.
Edit:
AC97 seems to work, but not for video.
Still runs fast.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:41:38 PM by trekiej »

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 08:24:49 PM »
I don't see how I can change the virtual sound card type. Also, anyone got any clues as to why the GUI for Janus refuses to load? I can run the emu, but not the GUI.
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline shaf

• Show only replies by shaf
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 08:52:51 PM »
AROS has no Virtual audio Driver support. Currently the most reliable audio drivers are based on the SBLive Series of Cards.

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 09:15:43 PM »
So that means no audio at all no matter what emulator I use?

-1 for AROS. :/

Offline Cammy

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »
If Aros is missing anything it's just because none of us have added it yet, there's no one really to blame or ask to fix it. I'm not sure how to program drivers myself, and haven't used any virtual PC emulators yet so I can't help with your audio problem, sorry.

But I have had pretty good success with running Aros natively on my various PCs. You are better off if you build a PC out of supported components to begin with rather than hoping it will work on an existing PC because it usually ends in disappointment. There are just too many different chipsets for the two or three occasional/casual Aros developers to handle. It doesn't help that the three major distributions are handled nearly entirely by a single person each, usually only with their own PC and a virtual PC setup to test it on.

When you finally get a fully supported system set up though, it's a really fun experience. I'm fortunate to have found several broken PCs in junk piles on the side of the road recently, so I've finally built myself an almost fully supported Aros box from the parts. I only lack a compatible network card since it seems none of the on-board ethernet chipsets are supported in the ten working PCs I built from the parts. But an ethernet card costs about $4-5 from China or Hong Kong so I can afford to buy one of those myself.

I have used Aros with Vesa, Intel GMA, nVidia and Radeon drivers on my various PCs here, and by far the best one to use is nVidia. It's still the only one with 3D support, so you can play games like SuperTuxKart and Assault Cube with 3D acceleration. Intel GMA is second best, then Vesa, then Radeon. Radeon drivers don't even support screen dragging yet, but the rest do.

I was lucky that amongst all the junked PCs there was a single working SoundBlaster Live card, which I use with Aros in my PC, but also the built-in audio in my Acer Aspire 3610 works with the AC97 driver in AHI. A few of the various motherboards I found had supported on-board audio chips too, so if you were to build a PC there are some motherboards with supported audio.

I tried out Janus-UAE integration with coherency enabled in Icaros 1.3, after clicking on the Start Amibridge wizard and it promptly copied all the required files from my Amiga Forever CD. Then I loaded the Janus UAE prefs, enabled Integration and Coherency, saved the settings and quit. Then I launched the "Add Program" wizard (I first had to copy the "Add ADF Game" icon over the top of the "Add Program" icon because it wasn't executing itself), and selected a 68k OS3 program. In this case, I chose AmigaAmp. After a few seconds loading up the emulation, AmigaAmp popped up on my Aros desktop. I was able to drag it around the screen and its equalizer and playlist windows snapped to it when I let go, just as they do in OS3. This should be very handy, since there are no native MP3 players for Aros yet, unless you want to play them through the CLI or one at a time in MPlayer. I tried several other programs and they worked well too. I was even able to resize OS3 windows with the Aros frames that are used around them, and of course it uses the Aros menus too! While it's not up to the same level of transparent emulation and integration that MorphOS has, it's getting there and it's much better than it ever has been before.

I think a better way of using Aros without having to install it on your hard drive is to install it to a USB stick and boot from that rather than use virtualisation.
A1200 030@28Mhz/2MB+32MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB/4-Way Clockport Expander/IndivisionAGA/PCMCIA NIC
A1200 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/FPU/RTC/KS3.0/IDE-CF+2GB/S-Video
CD32 020@14Mhz/2MB+8MB/RTC/KS3.1/IDE-CF+4GB
A600 030@30Mhz/2MB+64MB/RTC/IDE-CF+4GB/Subway USB/S-Video/PCMCIA NIC/USB Numeric Keypad+Hub+Mouse+Control Pad
A500 000@7Mhz/512kB+512kB/ROM Switcher/KS3.1+1.3/S-Video

Get AmigaOS

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »
So with an Aspire One I can expect a smooth experience as well as 3D acceleration in OpenGl, or will it all be software based?

Also, when you say you opened Janus prefs, does that mean you opened Ami-Bridge under the prefs directory?

I got it set up under emulation with the Amiga Forever CD, but after that when ever I try to open up Ami-Bridge for further configuration, nothing happens.

Lastly, I have tried various machines that "I thought" had the correct ship set, cards, and so on and so forth, but so far I have had issue after issue running the OS, especially when trying to use UAE. I get a lot of screen garbage, system hangs, slow downs, sound issues, etc.

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 10:55:03 PM »
Aros runs fairly fast on my Virtual Box setup. I can hear sound when I choose AC97 in aros and click on test. It does not work on any video I play.
Owb is great but no flash plug-in.
Murks is great, I started programming on it.
edit
I am not against getting hardware for an Aros build. I just wish I had the money for a new processor and mainboard.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:57:39 PM by trekiej »