Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: iPad 2  (Read 19875 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline tone007

  • sad moaning faced git
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Jan 2008
  • Posts: 3238
  • Total likes: 0
iPad 2
« Reply #255 on: March 13, 2011, 05:13:06 PM »
True, as purchased it wasn't much fun, I'd flashed it within 15 minutes of opening the box to get everything (including the Market) working.

Battery life isn't terrible, 3-4 hours with WiFi on I'd guess.  There seems to be enough room inside the case for slightly larger batteries, though!
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever
 

Offline the_leander

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2011, 05:19:03 PM »
Quote from: tone007;621558

Battery life isn't terrible, 3-4 hours with WiFi on I'd guess.  There seems to be enough room inside the case for slightly larger batteries, though!


That's good to know, I wonder if the borked install some of these pads come with is the cause of such poor performance.

Also, I suspect you've got your next hardware hacking project staring at you with that space :D
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]
 

Offline minator

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;621559
That's good to know, I wonder if the borked install some of these pads come with is the cause of such poor performance.


It's partially the companies throwing any processor they can find (ARM7 and ARM 9 are not really suitable) but then they screw up the software as well.

There are much faster tablets on the market already (Coretex-A9 @ $150) but it remains to be seen if they can get the software integration better.

I expect it'll get better but it'll take time.
 

Offline minator

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2011, 09:12:45 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;621383
I stumbled across this little gem of a site last night, i thought you'd appreciate it too! :)

http://www.synthmania.com/Famous%20Sounds.htm



Some very recognisable sounds there.

I now understand why the Roland JX10 is so underrated*.  The factory sounds are a complete rip off of the DX7!


read as "remarkably cheap on eBay!"
 

Offline Franko

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #259 on: March 14, 2011, 05:21:26 PM »
Oh gawd... the numpties are out in force again... :rolleyes:

iPAD 2 sales New Customers (or as I call em, Guillible Fools... :))
 

Offline the_leander

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #260 on: March 14, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
Quote from: Franko;621731
Oh gawd... the numpties are out in force again... :rolleyes:

iPAD 2 sales New Customers (or as I call em, Guillible Fools... :))


Having played with an iPad the other day, I have to say it is a very swish piece of kit. Not something I need or particularly want, but I can see the appeal as well as the potential.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]
 

Offline Franko

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #261 on: March 14, 2011, 05:35:07 PM »
Quote from: the_leander;621732
Having played with an iPad the other day, I have to say it is a very swish piece of kit. Not something I need or particularly want, but I can see the appeal as well as the potential.

During the night I saw a clip about it on one of the 24 hour news channels, the reporter asked one guy "why did you queue to buy it" the guy replied with "not sure but I'm the first amongst my friends to own one... cool eh..."... :lol:
 

Offline the_leander

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #262 on: March 14, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »
Quote from: Franko;621735
During the night I saw a clip about it on one of the 24 hour news channels, the reporter asked one guy "why did you queue to buy it" the guy replied with "not sure but I'm the first amongst my friends to own one... cool eh..."... :lol:


Just because my particular lifestyle and technology needs aren't met by a given device doesn't mean that others won't be.

My friend uses hers as a portable movie player, gaming and streaming device to help get through longer shifts, especially night shifts.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]
 

Offline Franko

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #263 on: March 14, 2011, 06:17:16 PM »
Do Apple ever get things right first time when they release something... :)

Light Leakage on iPAD2
 

Offline the_leander

Re: iPad 2
« Reply #264 on: March 14, 2011, 06:30:20 PM »
Quote from: Franko;621751
Do Apple ever get things right first time when they release something... :)

Light Leakage on iPAD2


I've had any number of backlit lcd devices that have had such problems over the years, by far the worst was the Sega Game Gear in my experience. If you read the article the first poster actually points out that it's a glue issue - it takes a while for it to cure. Once done the issue goes away. Obviously even with the best will in the world there will be slight differences even on a fully automated production line when dealing with things like glue.

It should also be pointed out that another poster in that thread states his Motorola zoom suffers the same trouble.
Blessed Be,
Alan Fisher - the_leander

[SIGPIC]http://www.extropia.co.uk/theleander/[/SIGPIC]