Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: PS3 security is "epic fail"  (Read 14096 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline nicholas

PS3 security is "epic fail"
« on: December 30, 2010, 02:25:58 AM »
Self signed homebrew is now possible after the PS3's private keys have been cracked.

AROS for PS3 anyone? :D

http://psgroove.com/content.php?581-Sony-s-PS3-Security-is-Epic-Fail-Videos-Within&
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline nicholas

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 02:31:54 AM »
spe.library perhaps? ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline Tension

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 02:49:20 AM »

Offline nicholas

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 02:54:52 AM »
Quote from: Tension;602775
Revenge at last!!!

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52115&highlight=bastards%21


Excellent!!


Nothing is uncrackable. :)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline Iggy

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 02:56:08 AM »
Are we sure Sony can't find a defense for this? I've longed for real access to PS3 hardware (that wasn't intentionally crippled by the hypervisor).

I'd go for a PPC OS ported to the PS3 - cool hardware!
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline Tension

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 03:11:45 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;602778
Are we sure Sony can't find a defense for this?


They can always ban the PS3 from PSN.  The bastards.

Offline Iggy

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 03:17:40 AM »
Quote from: Tension;602781
They can always ban the PS3 from PSN.  The bastards.


Maybe they'll just release the PS4.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline dentunes

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 03:33:24 AM »
This is awesome news. I was royally pissed when they took this feature away. When I bought the PS3 that feature was touted by them and part of the reason I purchased the unit. When they took it away, saying it was optional but then you couldn't even log in anymore, I was furious. Suck it is all I can say.

On a side note the PS3 sucks anyway. One thing that bugs me about it is if you don't use it for like a week you need to update it. The update takes forever via wireless so you have to download it from a computer onto a USB stick and then transfer it. the xBox360 is so much better in that regard.

Enough of my rant anyways. I am glad this has happened. Sony took a feature away people paid for. Imagine someone pulling out the air conditioning in the car you bought because they thought you could modify the engine if they left it in there?
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?
 

Offline Iggy

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 03:49:24 AM »
Quote from: dentunes;602787
This is awesome news. I was royally pissed when they took this feature away. When I bought the PS3 that feature was touted by them and part of the reason I purchased the unit. When they took it away, saying it was optional but then you couldn't even log in anymore, I was furious. Suck it is all I can say.

On a side note the PS3 sucks anyway. One thing that bugs me about it is if you don't use it for like a week you need to update it. The update takes forever via wireless so you have to download it from a computer onto a USB stick and then transfer it. the xBox360 is so much better in that regard.

Enough of my rant anyways. I am glad this has happened. Sony took a feature away people paid for. Imagine someone pulling out the air conditioning in the car you bought because they thought you could modify the engine if they left it in there?


Just another part of the 'you don't really own it" logic that prevails these day. I'm waiting for some corporate scumbag to suggest an addition to the Digital Mellinium Copyright act that makes altering your own pocessions a crime. Seems like the next logical step now that ripping MP3s from CDs you own is now technically illegal.

Trust me, I glad immortality is not possible because I am convinced the future hold a lot of qualifiers for the freedoms we take for granted today.

I thought using calculators in school was stupid (having been taught multiplication when I went to school).
I can't wait for the day when people have to be hardwired 24/7 to the internet (or something more corrupt) just to compete. I promise you , one day, technology and the Republican party will Borg us all (and you won't have a say in it - hell you'll probably be convinced to support it).

Damn! Now I sound like some kind of hybrid Tea party/scifi geek/paranoid conspiracy nut job. But a new stage in evolution is soon to come upon us, and I'm glad I'm too old to have to face the negative aspects of it.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"
 

Offline A1260

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 11:48:19 AM »
great news now the ps3 is pretty much open like the xbox1. we know how popular that one was when it was hacket... so there is interesting times ahead for the ps3 :-)
 

Offline dentunes

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »
Quote from: Iggy;602791
Just another part of the 'you don't really own it" logic that prevails these day. I'm waiting for some corporate scumbag to suggest an addition to the Digital Mellinium Copyright act that makes altering your own pocessions a crime. Seems like the next logical step now that ripping MP3s from CDs you own is now technically illegal.

Trust me, I glad immortality is not possible because I am convinced the future hold a lot of qualifiers for the freedoms we take for granted today.

I thought using calculators in school was stupid (having been taught multiplication when I went to school).
I can't wait for the day when people have to be hardwired 24/7 to the internet (or something more corrupt) just to compete. I promise you , one day, technology and the Republican party will Borg us all (and you won't have a say in it - hell you'll probably be convinced to support it).

Damn! Now I sound like some kind of hybrid Tea party/scifi geek/paranoid conspiracy nut job. But a new stage in evolution is soon to come upon us, and I'm glad I'm too old to have to face the negative aspects of it.


I know exactly what you mean. It is an interesting place. i think something will give before it gets that bad though. We'll probably be due for a World War by then anyways.
Amiga, Amiga, Where for art thou Amiga?
 

Offline A1260

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 01:15:37 PM »
here is the first standalone linux boot on the ps3....start at 3:00..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk8QBtKmIjc

:-)
 

Offline tribz

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 01:18:41 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;602773
Self signed homebrew is now possible after the PS3's private keys have been cracked.

AROS for PS3 anyone? :D

http://psgroove.com/content.php?581-Sony-s-PS3-Security-is-Epic-Fail-Videos-Within&

Epic fail, hardly if it took up to almost 4 years to get there.
 

Offline Louis Dias

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 1174
  • Country: us
  • Total likes: 2
  • Gender: Male
    • http://www.diasintegrated.com
Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 01:36:37 PM »
Quote from: tribz;602835
Epic fail, hardly if it took up to almost 4 years to get there.


They weren't trying until they took Linux away.  12 months is all it took, not 4 years...did you even watch the videos?
 

Offline Digiman

Re: PS3 security is "epic fail"
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 01:39:49 PM »
Great...so now they will just update the system and make it as shit as the Xbox 360 BIOS/firmware you are forced to use to make sure nobody can have any fun at all :)