Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Unified Driver Interface  (Read 2001 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Unified Driver Interface
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2003, 11:27:18 PM »
Quote

Karlos wrote:
Youd need a well defined heirarchy for such a system. Devices by their very nature suit OOP design very well.

I wouldn't hold your breath though :-(


Well all modern OS projects support OOP... come on I know you have some good ideas :-)

Offline Martyn

Re: Unified Driver Interface
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2003, 02:03:46 PM »
Here's what i posted in the previous thread:

bloodline wrote:

Quote


Some things I note about UDI is the large SCO input, that immediatelly makes me cautious of such a system and the rather conspicious lack of drivers...



True, that raised my eyebrows at first but you need to bear it mind when UDI first got off the ground (around 1999-time) and SCO's recent history of buy-outs, renaming, linux firtation and not litigation. I'm not sure if if really the same company anymore.

I think it's "clean".

Quote


But it is exactly the sort of thing we need.


Sure is.
If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -- Bruce Lee
 

Offline Wolfe

Re: Unified Driver Interface
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2003, 02:04:23 PM »
Practical :  YES

Doable:  Probably not.  Getting all those different OS's to cooperate and unify would be like getting a practical common sense idea through the US Congress.

But it is a good idea.   :idea:
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:
 

Offline Martyn

Re: Unified Driver Interface
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2003, 02:07:08 PM »
Quote

...but I notice that there don't seem to be many drivers for it [UDI]


So then you've got a choice....

1. Write all your own drivers for AROS
2. Write all your own drivers for AROS using UDI, where they be usable to any other OS that supports UDI.

Hey!  Then if there's some useful drivers other OSs might use UDI!
Hey!  Then they might write their own drivers that AROS will be able to use!

Geddit?
If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -- Bruce Lee
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Unified Driver Interface
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2003, 02:45:03 PM »
Quote

Martyn wrote:
Quote

...but I notice that there don't seem to be many drivers for it [UDI]


So then you've got a choice....

1. Write all your own drivers for AROS
2. Write all your own drivers for AROS using UDI, where they be usable to any other OS that supports UDI.

Hey!  Then if there's some useful drivers other OSs might use UDI!
Hey!  Then they might write their own drivers that AROS will be able to use!

Geddit?


Doh! Yes of course :-)

I woudl be nice if someone could do a feasabilitry study on this. Sicne it looks like quite a task. But if we were able to put down a good solid profile/plan, then wer could present it to the other OS projects and get them involved.  :-)

Offline Martyn

Re: Unified Driver Interface
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2003, 03:31:34 PM »
That's the spirit!!

If I had the time (and some lower-level coding ability) I'd join in with you!
If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot.
Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend. -- Bruce Lee
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Unified Driver Interface
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2003, 04:29:21 PM »
Quote

Martyn wrote:
That's the spirit!!

If I had the time (and some lower-level coding ability) I'd join in with you!


I'd Vote for Karlos to do it :lol:

Offline Crumb

Re: Unified Driver Interface
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2004, 10:38:17 AM »
"A lot of the AROS devs have said that it would be perfectly possible to use Linux drivers in AROS... but have never really gone into much detail about it."

Well, that would be one of the most interesting things you could do... even if the windows system of drivers is horrible the possibility of using them would be great...
The only spanish amiga news web page/club: Club de Usuarios de Amiga de Zaragoza (CUAZ)
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Unified Driver Interface
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2004, 11:05:25 AM »
Quote

Crumb wrote:
"A lot of the AROS devs have said that it would be perfectly possible to use Linux drivers in AROS... but have never really gone into much detail about it."

Well, that would be one of the most interesting things you could do... even if the windows system of drivers is horrible the possibility of using them would be great...


Latest update is that, there is now talk of using *BSD drivers... Which as I understand it would be quite easy... we shall see.

Offline asian1

Re: Unified Driver Interface
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2004, 11:42:50 AM »
Hello
What about commercial linuxant loader or jungo Windriver?

Linuxant
Jungo