Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Hollywood MAL AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Video: AROS 68K Booting  (Read 7956 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Hattig

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »
Quote from: Fransexy_;594022
Nothing like the real AmigaOS.The backporting of Aros to 68k shows how Aros is slow as any other actual operating system, sure it flys on super duper multi GHZ monster but is not as responsiveness as origunal OS on very, very limited hadrware.AmigaOS classic still rules!!!!


Thanks for your enthusiasm and positivity in comparing an unoptimised barely-weeks-old port to very mature, but closed, software.
 

Offline Franko

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »
Is there a projected date (or even a guesstimate) for an actual release of AROS 68K, don't wish to sound ungrateful or anything but I've begun to wonder recently why we are all still waiting around for things like AROS, the X1000, Natami or MiniMigAGA to actually appear.

I mean all these years of wishful thinking and still believing that one day something great (despite all the vapourware and broken promises of the past)  or even just something new or different will happen with the Amiga is finally starting to wear a bit thin (even for someone as dedicated as myself).  The human lifespan is quite short and limited and it would be nice to see just one of these great projects finally come to fruition before some of us old fogies finally shut down for the last time... :)
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2010, 01:05:56 PM »
Quote from: Franko;594033
Is there a projected date (or even a guesstimate) for an actual release of AROS 68K, don't wish to sound ungrateful or anything but I've begun to wonder recently why we are all still waiting around for things like AROS, the X1000, Natami or MiniMigAGA to actually appear.

I mean all these years of wishful thinking and still believing that one day something great (despite all the vapourware and broken promises of the past)  or even just something new or different will happen with the Amiga is finally starting to wear a bit thin (even for someone as dedicated as myself).  The human lifespan is quite short and limited and it would be nice to see just one of these great projects finally come to fruition before some of us old fogies finally shut down for the last time... :)


AROS: No schedule and rockin'!
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline Fransexy_

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2010, 01:11:49 PM »
Quote from: Hattig;594032
Thanks for your enthusiasm and positivity in comparing an unoptimised barely-weeks-old port to very mature, but closed, software.


Hey!! do not be so agressive, it is only a comment of my feeling when see the video But do no get wrong I want Aros to be  successful as well as AmigaOS and MorphOS. I am a multicolour fan ;-) (before anybody make the joke, no, it has nothing to do with gay flagship)
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »
Quote from: Fransexy_;594036
Hey!! do not be so agressive, it is only a comment of my feeling when see the video But do no get wrong I want Aros to be  successful as well as AmigaOS and MorphOS. I am a multicolour fan ;-) (before anybody make the joke, no, it has nothing to do with gay flagship)



Well, now you come to mention it your avatar is a tad homo-erotic.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline Fransexy_

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2010, 01:28:17 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;594038
Well, now you come to mention it your avatar is a tad homo-erotic.


Erotic, yes, but for girls ;-) it was an avatar that i used when i was on a online Radio. were fun days. I was missing a SAM2 like software for the Amiga to not have to use windows but well, this is another story
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT
 

Offline Karlos

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2010, 01:30:24 PM »
Quote from: Fransexy_;594044
Erotic, yes, but for girls ;-)

I'm sure well-built men are just as capable of giving gay guys the vapours too ;)
int p; // A
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594046
I'm sure well-built men are just as capable of giving gay guys the vapours too ;)


Methinks the lady doth protesteth too much! ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline Franko

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2010, 01:40:07 PM »
Is he/she one of those Spanish Lesbo's thingy's I read about here... :)
 

Offline Fransexy_

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2010, 01:59:28 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;594038
Well, now you come to mention it your avatar is a tad homo-erotic.

Quote from: Karlos;594046
I'm sure well-built men are just as capable of giving gay guys the vapours too ;)

Quote from: Karlos;594046
I'm sure well-built men are just as capable of giving gay guys the vapours too ;)

Quote from: nicholas;594049
Methinks the lady doth protesteth too much! ;)

Quote from: Franko;594053
Is he/she one of those Spanish Lesbo's thingy's I read about here... :)

guys (that not gays ;-) ) that we stray from the subject



* anyway respect for anyone who has opted for this variant in human relations
DON\'T TAKE LIFE SO SERIOUSLY AFTER ALL NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE OF IT
 

Offline vidarh

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2010, 02:13:15 PM »
Quote from: Franko;594033
Is there a projected date (or even a guesstimate) for an actual release of AROS 68K,


Depends on what you'd consider an "actual release"

The deadline for the 2nd kickstart bounty that Toni is working on now is March 31st next year. Judging from his progress I'd say he'll easily beat that.

But that will "just" mean having it boot and run Wanderer (Workbench) and a few apps.

Getting it stable and to feature-parity with AmigaOS 3.1 and with roughly the same performance, and ability to fit it in a real Amiga (at least in a 1MB kickstart, or a stripped down kickstart requiring modules on disk) will probably take longer. I'd guesstimate another year to get it usable enough for people outside of AROS devs or UAE users who just want to boot mostly non-OS dependent games to want to use it much.

It could be more, but I don't think it'll be much less. The one thing that could really accelerate things is that once it gets "good enough" for more people to play with there's the chance it could really draw more people into working on AROS in general, but also get more current AROS devs involved in bug fixes/optimizations for the M68k version (I'm itching to get time to play with it in UAE)

Quote

don't wish to sound ungrateful or anything but I've begun to wonder recently why we are all still waiting around for things like AROS, the X1000, Natami or MiniMigAGA to actually appear.


Well, AROS is out there and reasonably usable, just not for classic Amigas yet. As I understand it the next version of Icaros (AROS distribution) is due out any day now.

Natami is showing great progress, so while it's still not out at least we know stuff is happening. Their "LX" board was pretty much brought up, and apparently their "MX" board which contains improvements and fixes they wanted to add after experience with the LX board is apparently right around the door (it was hinted very strongly the design is pretty much done)... Of course after the MX board design is done it'll still be at least a few months before machines are ready to buy (assuming they don't find any major flaws in the MX board design).

MinimigAGA aka FPGA Arcade is practically there - the first boards are ready and so far the tests apparently show them to be working fine. The next batch of 40(?) boards will be completed very quickly if the first 10 works fine. This one could be out in a couple of months if all goes well. This one is looking amazing - the FPGA Arcade cards don't just do MinimigAGA cores, but will do Atari ST, C64, Vic20 and a bunch of others too, and it's *tiny*.

X1000.. I guess we'll have to wait and see, seeing how quiet things are there.
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2010, 12:22:21 AM »
Now for a video of Wanderer (Workbench clone) running... this video is so boring I forgive anyone for wanting me dead after watching it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9nqW-5I9Ag

I hate Youtube... it's 30 seconds too long:

http://www.cutiemish.com/Wanderer.avi
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 12:38:41 AM by bloodline »
 

Offline nicholas

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2010, 01:52:11 AM »
Quote from: bloodline;594384
Now for a video of Wanderer (Workbench clone) running... this video is so boring I forgive anyone for wanting me dead after watching it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9nqW-5I9Ag

I hate Youtube... it's 30 seconds too long:

http://www.cutiemish.com/Wanderer.avi


Looking sexier by the day!

Thanks Matt.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini
 

Offline kickstart

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2010, 05:05:26 AM »
When this port reach the 100% (if some day reach it) how compatible is it? any usability on real amigas? (with graphics cards of course)

I dont see the advantage over 3.1, yes aros 68k can boot from cd/dvd/usb but many users dont use cds, the speed of cf or sd changing data with pc is much faster and usb on the amiga world is used by a low percentage of users.

Dont take it wrong but these days no one can make critics about this projects
a1200 060
 

Offline Fats

Re: Video: AROS 68K Booting
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
Quote from: kickstart;594406

I dont see the advantage over 3.1, yes aros 68k can boot from cd/dvd/usb but many users dont use cds, the speed of cf or sd changing data with pc is much faster and usb on the amiga world is used by a low percentage of users.


If you are one of the guys that think OS3.5/OS3.9 was a step backwards then AROS is nothing for you. For the rest I think the AROS experience will/should be that of an improved OS3.9/OS3.5.

Quote from: kickstart;594406

Dont take it wrong but these days no one can make critics about this projects


I also question why people need to critic everything all the time. If there is nothing in AROS for you; what is the problem ? I'm sure lot's of people will enjoy it.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing