Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Strange Problems Installing OS3.9  (Read 2212 times)

Description:

Offline FrankoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Franko
Strange Problems Installing OS3.9
« on: October 24, 2010, 01:11:51 PM »
I've been setting up an HD for a friend and forgot what a bother it is trying to install OS3.9 from 3.1

Just wondering if anyone else ever had these kind of problems when trying to install OS3.9.

When creating an emergency boot disk I keep getting the error Disk Full, this is quite simply due to the fact that the installation prog is trying to create a floppy with far too much stuff to fit on a floppy, strange... :confused:

Every time I attempted to continue with the installation, the next weird thing to happen is the CD/DVD no longer works, even resetting the miggy leaves the drive in a frozen state, the only solution is to power off, very strange... :confused:

I ended up manually installing the OS3.9 files, it's no wonder my friend had so much trouble setting up his new Amiga when something that should be reasonably straight forward is causing so many problems. Anyone else ever came across this or similar when Installing OS3.9

I remember now why I stuck with OS3.5... :)

Offline tone007

Re: Strange Problems Installing OS3.9
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 01:25:02 PM »
I've never installed from an emergency disk, I'd just get 3.1 and my CD-ROM drive running (or the OS3.9 install CD files copied onto the hard drive another way and set the AmigaOS3.9: assign to do boing bags) and kick off the install from within 3.1.  Haven't had an issue yet.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

Offline TheGoose

• Show only replies by TheGoose
    • http://www.amiga.org/forums/blog.php?u=827
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »
Uh, yea what Tone said

It can be a pain. I have done it by copying the whole CDROM to hardrive. Then made an ASSIGN: for the install script, and got things working. I had to do this because there was no CDROM on the target machine.

There is a post around here about 'other ways' to install etc...
G1200, A3000D, A1200 PPC AOS4.0C

I\'m on Google +

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 04:42:09 PM »
I just ended up copying all the files manually using Dirwork and editing the StartUp-Sequence etc.. myself.

Just seems kinda weird that it was released back then with so many basic problems with the installation of it. :)

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 05:12:27 PM »
That sounds like the normal OS3.9 install to me, it's horrible.

If you don't have a high density floppy, I'm not positive it even works.

A new Kickstart should have been required, both for allowing us to boot from the install media and for the annoying reset on every boot.

Offline Thomas

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 05:37:15 PM »
You only need to select "no" when you are asked for IDEfix. Or use a HD floppy disk.

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 06:01:54 PM »
Quote from: Thomas;586732
You only need to select "no" when you are asked for IDEfix. Or use a HD floppy disk.

It didn't even get to the option for the IDEfix to be able to select no, plus it's a standard A1200 floppy and there is no mention that you require an HD floppy, all in all a very shoddy release of a piece of software, in my opinion.

Suffice to say now that I have hand installed it and updated it with the BoingBags, I shall be burning my own CD that will correctly install OS3.9 in future if I ever need to do it again for someone... :)

Offline mrmoonlight

• Show only replies by mrmoonlight
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »
Hi i must thank Franko because i am the friend he is kindly helping ,i have to say i had ago at installing the os3.9 with Franko,s help over weeks ,and when it did install it was not good and Frank kindly took it on himself to see if he could set the disc up to actualy work ,as i had ,had enought ,indeed this is where i ended up downloading the Amiga os3.9 xl which i thought was an update but indeed was ilegal
 infact if i could legaly buy an os3.9 xl disc i would ,its that good it installed without effort so easy a monkey could do it ,never once crashing and quicker than my windows 7, but i am grateful once again to my friend Franko ,and will indeed install an os 3.9 if he can create me a working Os,best wishes Brian:):):):)
Amiga 1200 E-Matrix 32 bit Fast-Ram 20 gb wd harddrive
Amiga 1200 Compact Flash CF IDE Back Plate Adapter

Hisoft promidi Interface
MP3 MAS player
Amiga 600
ACA620EC Accelerator Kipper/type
CF 4GB
C/F HD
 Pioneer CD/DVD
Hisoft promidi Interface