Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The site is very slow...  (Read 21249 times)

Description:

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
Re: The site is very slow...
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 08:23:06 PM »
In the past I've had a bit of a slowdown now and again and it has always turned out to be a DNS issue and nothing to do with the site itself.
int p; // A

Offline save2600

• Show only replies by save2600
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 08:36:19 PM »
It's a mixed bag where I am and I too use DSL. I notice it takes the longest when logging in. Pretty inconsistent speed wise, but more fast than it is slow at least   :)

Offline kedawaTopic starter

• Show only replies by kedawa
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 09:51:16 PM »
It's actually gotten better since I last posted in this thread.
Quote from: Piru;588859
Well it is quite evident the problem is not in amiga.org but somewhere else.

The problem only affects amiga.org, but not everyone is experiencing the same issue, so I'm not really sure how to isolate the problem.  My connection is fine, the site is fine, but accessing the site through my connection is not fine much of the time.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 10:10:06 PM »
There can be loads of different issues. But, here on the east coast (Greater Washington D.C. area) is consistently fast.
I would bet your provider is ultimately at fault. This is why we canned FIOS (well, one of the reasons)...
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 10:12:22 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;589127

The problem only affects amiga.org, but not everyone is experiencing the same issue, so I'm not really sure how to isolate the problem.  My connection is fine, the site is fine, but accessing the site through my connection is not fine much of the time.

I also have the same issue, and I am in the other side of the planet with a 6 Meg DSL conection, that works pretty well with everything else I surf, and I do surf quite a lot.

Offline Pyromania

• Sent from my Quantum Computer
    • Show only replies by Pyromania
    • http://www.discreetfx.com
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 10:22:04 PM »
One thing that can slow sites way down is web trackers. You can see this for yourself with the Firefox and Safari Ad-on Ghostery.  

http://www.ghostery.com/

Many sites even use several trackers and Ad platforms and this can slow them way down. We use no web trackers and only one Ad platform, Google Adsense and this is only for none premium members. We do this to keep the site fast and responsive and we don't want to track our users. Others sites like Gizmodo, MSN, Engaget can use up to 16 or more. Even MS has 5 on their main site. This seems strange as most commercial corporate company sites have zero.

You might want to grab Ghostery and have a look around. You might just be surprised what you find and this Ad-on gives you some control over how sites track you.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 10:29:12 PM by Pyromania »

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »
I've never had any problems with this site running slow, and I've only got a max of 2.6mbps & 0.6mbps download/upload speed on this old iMac... :)

Offline Buzzfuzz

• Show only replies by Buzzfuzz
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 10:35:56 PM »
It's pretty fast, but not always.
Sometimes there are moments it sort of 'hangs' a bit and no my internet is fast enough @ 120/10 Mbit.
Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

Offline smerf

• Show only replies by smerf
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 11:04:25 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;581829
I'm not sure how long it's been like this, since I don't frequent amiga.org all that often, but I've noticed over the past couple of months that it takes a long time to load any page on the site.  I'm talking about anywhere from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes.  I know it's not a problem with my connection, because I've had the same problem at work, so I would be surprised if I'm the only one experiencing this.
Is there anything I can do on my end to speed things up?

Hi,

It has been sort of slow lately, probably because they are using a mac as a server. It probably would be faster if they upgraded to a C64.

smerf
I have no idea what your talking about, so here is a doggy with a small pancake on his head.

MorphOS is a MAC done a little better

Offline Buzzfuzz

• Show only replies by Buzzfuzz
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »
Quote from: smerf;589157
Hi,

It has been sort of slow lately, probably because they are using a mac as a server. It probably would be faster if they upgraded to a C64.

smerf

I think if you have a good Core I7 or Xeon combined with some fast SATA hdd's or SAS's and a stable connection with some upload speed, you should be good.
vBulletin isn't that heavy to run, even if it has a large DB.
Wishlist: A3500, A2500UX

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 01:14:49 PM »
I've been experiencing slowdowns the last 48 hours which for once are nothing to do with my ISPs DNS. It isn't just my local connection either, the old browser proxy has logged timeout errors in the cURL requests that fetch the pages from amiga.org. Whatever it is, it certainly isn't due to trackers since the proxy itself doesn't execute any javascript code.
int p; // A

Offline GadgetMaster

• Show only replies by GadgetMaster
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 03:01:13 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;591164
I've been experiencing slowdowns the last 48 hours which for once are nothing to do with my ISPs DNS. It isn't just my local connection either, the old browser proxy has logged timeout errors in the cURL requests that fetch the pages from amiga.org. Whatever it is, it certainly isn't due to trackers since the proxy itself doesn't execute any javascript code.

Is there any possibility it might be a DOS attack or brute force hack attempt on the server?

It might be interesting to check the firewall logs.

I remember the relentless attacks I used to get on my server not too long ago coming from all sorts of weird and wonderful places.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »
Quote from: GadgetMaster;591187
Is there any possibility it might be a DOS attack or brute force hack attempt on the server?

It might be interesting to check the firewall logs.

I remember the relentless attacks I used to get on my server not too long ago coming from all sorts of weird and wonderful places.

Well, it's a shared server, so it's possible the box itself is under load even if this site is not the specific target.
int p; // A

Offline ferix

• Show only replies by ferix
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 04:24:07 PM »
Ooops!!!

It happens to me too... and I'm on cable...
I tried at other locations (at work, at my mum's house...), and just the same...
It smells bad... :(
[Master of puppets I\'m pulling your strings  
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams  
Blinded by me, you can\'t see a thing  
Just call my name, \'cause I\'ll hear you scream]
We are The Borg.
Lower your shields and surrender your ships.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.
Your culture will adapt to service us.
Resistance is Futile.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 07:37:01 PM »
Finaly been experiencing it myself since yesterday, at first I thought Amiga.org had been shut down then I began to think that Karlos had found a way of blocking me from accessing the site and prevent me posting a load of keech... :lol:

It took three goes just now to try and access the site as it was taking so long Safari kept locking up with the dread "application not responding" error... :(

Offline Gulliver

« Reply #29 from previous page: November 12, 2010, 09:17:35 PM »
Okay, now it is ridiculously slow :(