Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A1200/A600 4xIDE Interface

AuthorTopic: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help-SOLVED !!!  (Read 2865 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline F1Lupo

OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help-SOLVED !!!
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »
starting from a clean slate & installing OS4.1 from CD on a brand spanking new Sam flex @ 800, 1 GB Ram,W estern Digital 250GB SATA HD, Radeon 9250, & SATA DVD

The Sam keeps hanging at the editing partition screen i.e sometimes it lets me create a few partitions then hangs & other times I finish creating all my paritions but it wont let me save
I checked the ram and it's ok..at first I thought trying t install debian messed up the HD but I've got a totally new HD now so that's not it....scratching my head & thinking maybe its a defective Sam from the factory but I assume they test them before sending them off....anyone have this problem

.SIDE NOTE:
...just opened up the case to have a look while waiting to see if Sam will let me click 'save to disk' after partiotioning the drive....noticed the CPU is hot to the touch at the top of the heat sink...seems odd that ACube didnt install a CPU fan
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 02:33:17 PM by klx300r »
____________________________________________________________________
c64-dual sids, A1000, A1200-060@50, A4000-CSMKIII
Indivision AGA & Catweasel MK4+= Amazing
! My Master Miggies-Amiga 1000 & AmigaOne X1000 !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:
 

Offline MickJT

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:54:44 AM »
I suggest reading one of Farenheit's guides which has a couple of uboot commands which may solve the problem. I don't have the links, but he's often found on the AmigaWorld IRC server.
 

Offline F0LLETT

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 09:59:14 AM »
Quote from: klx300r;522497
starting from a clean slate & installing OS4.1 from CD on a brand spanking new Sam flex @ 800, 1 GB Ram,W estern Digital 250GB SATA HD, Radeon 9250, & SATA DVD

The Sam keeps hanging at the editing partition screen i.e sometimes it lets me create a few partitions then hangs & other times I finish creating all my paritions but it wont let me save
I checked the ram and it's ok..at first I thought trying t install debian messed up the HD but I've got a totally new HD now so that's not it....scratching my head & thinking maybe its a defective Sam from the factory but I assume they test them before sending them off....anyone have this problem

.SIDE NOTE:
...just opened up the case to have a look while waiting to see if Sam will let me click 'save to disk' after partiotioning the drive....noticed the CPU is very hot to the touch at the top of the heat sink...seems odd that ACube didnt install a CPU fan


I had this problem last week.

I removed all drive cables, reconnected them and it solved problem.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.
 

Offline F1Lupo

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 12:56:30 PM »
@ F0LLETT

hm already tried that...even changed SATA cables...was wondering if you guys check the MB battery before you deliver your boards? also what type of ATX PSU's do you recommend?...tried everything else i think
____________________________________________________________________
c64-dual sids, A1000, A1200-060@50, A4000-CSMKIII
Indivision AGA & Catweasel MK4+= Amazing
! My Master Miggies-Amiga 1000 & AmigaOne X1000 !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:
 

Offline F0LLETT

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 01:26:15 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;522523
@ F0LLETT

hm already tried that...even changed SATA cables...was wondering if you guys check the MB battery before you deliver your boards? also what type of ATX PSU's do you recommend?...tried everything else i think


Right, after thinking about it some more, I remembered what I done to solve this problem.

What ports are you using exactly for HDD and DVD drives?

As for ATX PSU, any standard ATX PSU should work fine. Wattage wise, I would say 200+ Watts.

Every board is checked before leaving us, I Tested / checked yours myself.
Im not sure what you mean by "check the MB battery".
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.
 

Offline jorkany

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:36:04 PM »
Stability issues in overclocked systems aren't unusual. There's no realistic way to "factory test" an overclocked system.
 

Offline F0LLETT

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 02:07:03 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;522529
Stability issues in overclocked systems aren't unusual. There's no realistic way to "factory test" an overclocked system.


Why are you saying this, this is not the case.
I have asked before, please provide proof.

Besides, the problem in question has nothing to with the systems clock.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.
 

Offline F1Lupo

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 02:07:56 PM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;522527
Right, after thinking about it some more, I remembered what I done to solve this problem.

What ports are you using exactly for HDD and DVD drives?

As for ATX PSU, any standard ATX PSU should work fine. Wattage wise, I would say 200+ Watts.

Every board is checked before leaving us, I Tested / checked yours myself.
Im not sure what you mean by "check the MB battery".

I'm using J20 for HD and J23 for DVD...(even tried reversing them)
ok my ATX PSU is rated at 300W so I should be ok & as for the MB battery I mean the onboard motherboard battery...sometimes these run out of juice prematurely??
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:23:16 PM by klx300r »
____________________________________________________________________
c64-dual sids, A1000, A1200-060@50, A4000-CSMKIII
Indivision AGA & Catweasel MK4+= Amazing
! My Master Miggies-Amiga 1000 & AmigaOne X1000 !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:
 

Offline save2600

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 02:13:07 PM »
Quote from: jorkany;522529
Stability issues in overclocked systems aren't unusual. There's no realistic way to "factory test" an overclocked system.

Sounds to me like all they'd have to do to test these is to try partitioning a HD  ;-)  lol

Looks like Amigakit sells their systems with the OS installed, so did this work out of the
box when you first received it? If it has been running super hot for some time since
your purchase, you may have actually damaged the circuitry responsible for that SATA I/O
and/or the CPU itself.

And yeah.... not supplying a fan on any modern PPC CPU, especially an overclocked system,
goes against the grain of common sense. I'll have to keep all these things in mind when
it comes time to purchase my SAM setup.

OH - and the mobo battery shouldn't/wouldn't have anything to do with those symptoms.
Doubtful the battery is bad anyway. Those things can last for decades, especially when
the computer is used frequently.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:18:08 PM by save2600 »
 

Offline F1Lupo

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 02:19:35 PM »
Quote from: save2600;522533
Sounds to me like all they'd have to do to test these is to try partitioning a HD  ;-)  lol

Looks like Amigakit sells their systems with the OS installed, so did this work out of the
box when you first received it? If it has been running super hot for some time since
your purchase, you may have actually damaged the circuitry responsible for that SATA I/O
and/or the CPU itself.

And yeah.... not supplying a fan on any modern PPC CPU, especially an overclocked system,
goes against the grain of common sense. I'll have to keep all these things in mind when
it comes time to purchase my SAM setup.

no I just purchased he MB and ram cards from Amigakit and I am installing the system myself as per my preference...I have alot of experience setting up systems and modding them.
as for the system running super hot...that's not the case really..it feels hot to the touch but not 'super' hot...I will be installing a CPU fan myself when I get it up & running...very inexpensive & easy thing to do really....mind you saying that I think ACube should really put a cpu fan at the factory as it makes sense
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 02:21:50 PM by klx300r »
____________________________________________________________________
c64-dual sids, A1000, A1200-060@50, A4000-CSMKIII
Indivision AGA & Catweasel MK4+= Amazing
! My Master Miggies-Amiga 1000 & AmigaOne X1000 !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:
 

Offline save2600

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »
Are there any jumpers on that board for timing/multiplier values or ram configs?
Perhaps something's awry there. If not and there are jumpers for the mobo timing,
maybe try reducing the speed a little bit. I know F0LLET is saying it's not a timing
thing, but as Jorkany mentioned, overclocked systems can and WILL be unstable at
times. Anyone who's ever overclocked a computer system knows this. It's worth a
shot anyway and if that's the case, you're going to want to install a CPU fan for sure.
 

Offline F1Lupo

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »
yes there are some small jumpers but as the system is brand new and under warranty I don't want to mess with them.....i'll leave that part up to ACube and Amigakit
____________________________________________________________________
c64-dual sids, A1000, A1200-060@50, A4000-CSMKIII
Indivision AGA & Catweasel MK4+= Amazing
! My Master Miggies-Amiga 1000 & AmigaOne X1000 !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:
 

Offline F0LLETT

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 03:00:52 PM »
Quote from: save2600;522535
Are there any jumpers on that board for timing/multiplier values or ram configs?
Perhaps something's awry there. If not and there are jumpers for the mobo timing,
maybe try reducing the speed a little bit. I know F0LLET is saying it's not a timing
thing, but as Jorkany mentioned, overclocked systems can and WILL be unstable at
times. Anyone who's ever overclocked a computer system knows this. It's worth a
shot anyway and if that's the case, you're going to want to install a CPU fan for sure.

This has gone completely off topic, the 800 Flex doesnt run that hot. Hence it doesnt need a fan.

klx300r, please start a support ticket over at amigakit.com, so I can continue trying to resolve your problem. Its going to get confusing if discussed here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:06:00 PM by F0LLETT »
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.
 

Offline F1Lupo

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 03:06:22 PM »
Quote from: F0LLETT;522537
This has gone completely off topic, the 800 Flex doesnt run that hot. Hence it doesnt need a fan.

klx300r, please start a support ticket over at amigakit.com, so I can continue trying to resolve your problem. Its going to get confusing if discussed here.
You didnt answer my question regarding how you have the drives connected.


ok will do right now & see post #8 to see how I connected the drives.
____________________________________________________________________
c64-dual sids, A1000, A1200-060@50, A4000-CSMKIII
Indivision AGA & Catweasel MK4+= Amazing
! My Master Miggies-Amiga 1000 & AmigaOne X1000 !
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:
 

Offline F0LLETT

Re: OS 4.1 hangs during installation on my new Sam ..help
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
Quote from: klx300r;522539
ok will do right now & see post #8 to see how I connected the drives.


Thanks, I saw post #8 after, :(. This thread has gone off on a tangent regarding overclocked CPU's.

On the CPU subject I will say this,
I have setup alot of 800MHz SAM MB's and never once had 1 single problem. Every sam gets at least 6 Hours testing.
Quote from: Hungry Horace
Resolute and Industrious Grand ruler of the yellow people and the Ultimate Amiga Empire
Ultimate Amiga Network (Home of SONY PSP Amiga Emulator and AMOS Factory)

Quote from:  He who shall not be named
"Chris is that you!!!"
My all time favorite quote.