Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The DraCo/Dracovision, the first "true" Amiga clone  (Read 10750 times)

Description:

Offline GulliverTopic starter

The DraCo/Dracovision, the first "true" Amiga clone
« on: September 06, 2009, 05:21:44 AM »
Despite what we believe nowadays, about Minimig being the first true available Amiga clone,  there was a very old Amiga cloning development which actually materialized in a commercial and successfull way, the so called "DraCo" or sometimes "Dracovision", named after a later model.
It all happened around 1994, in Germany, when a group of talented developers working for what was called at that time MS MacroSystem Computer GmbH, started to deal with the fact that Commodore was going bankrupt and the supply of Amigas would eventually dry up, finnishing their commercial venture.
They were not rookies, in fact, they had, at that time, already designed and commercially sold a dozen or so of different Amiga hardware devices, ranging from accelerators, framegrabbers, soundcards, scsi adapters, to graphic cards, etc. So yes, they had plenty of knowledge on the Amiga platform, both on hardware and software fields.

The design

In 1994 MacroSystem took the decision of building an Amiga clone geared towards affordable digital video. The task was accomplished in a period of nine months by a group of sixteen people.
It took them four months to have a booting prototype and five more to finish it.
They cleverly integrated, and then slightly modifyed most of the hardware devices they already sold in the past, in this new computer.
The CPU card called "Eltanin" was designed Steven L. Kelsey of CompuWise Technologies, designer of the CSA Magnum and the Warp Engine accelerator boards. He used a 68060 processor at 50 Mhz and on some special models he even used a 68040.
The computer bus had some peculiarities. The "Rastaban" was a passive motherboard full of expansion slots. It had 5 Zorro II compatible slots, and three "DracoDirect" slots. There was also a special cpu slot for an Alpha processor, that never saw the light. Zorro II slots offered a fair degree of Amiga compatible hardware. On the other side, the DracoDirect slots provided faster speeds and 32 bit transfers, as they were merely created by putting the majority of the microprocessor signals in those slots.
The graphics card was a slightly modified Retina Z3 now called Altais, that used the DracoDirect slot instead of the Zorro III slot, as it provided faster transfer rates. It was supported by the Operating System by the then new Cybergraphics retargetable graphics subsystem.
The soundcard and framegrabber ( modified Tocatta and Vlab Motion), were eventually built together in a standalone DracoDirect card called Dracomotion.
DraCos featured a Fast SCSI II interface to provide fast disk access with minimum cpu usage (transfer speeds were aproximately 9 MB per second).
The case was a standart PC AT one, later replaced by the "cube" shaped one, which provided more space, better shielding and improved PSU. The marketing goal behind it, was to give the sense, by its different shape, that the machine was not an ordinary PC.

The 1´s and the 0´s

On the software side, it ran AmigaOS 3.1, and had a full range of applications and utilities that came as a bundle, and on a cd-rom since version 5.
Curiously, it used original Amiga 3000 kickstart roms, along with a different setpatch command which did some serious patching to the former at boot ups.
It used a custom, but otherwise powerfull software to manage digital video editing. It was called MovieShop (From MovieShop 4.0 to latest MovieShop 5.3 BETA 3 (jun 13th 2000), and was really flexible, flexible enough so that many studios adopted it as their primary editing suite.
The price of the DraCo was a little steep, at about 14.990 US dollars, and a lot cheaper in Europe.
MacroSystem sold and supported DraCos upto the year 2000 when, as the clever company they are, they tryed to redesign the DraCo to produce a more affordable system, so was the successfull Casablanca, now called Casablanca Classic, born. But that is just another story!

The team

This is part of the talented group of people that made it happen:

MS MacroSystem Computer GmbH 1994-2000

General Manager & Vlab Motion designer:
Jorg Sprave.

Hardware:
Steve L. Kelsey
Hartmut Sprave

Layout:
Bernd Gronemann

Software:
Claus Bönnhoff
Klaus Deppisch
Henning Friedl

Other:
Edwin H. Bielawski

I hope you enjoyed the story:)

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
Re: The DraCo/Dracovision, the first "true" Amiga clone
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 06:20:23 AM »
Thank you, Gulliver, that was a neat post.
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline amigadave

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by amigadave
    • http://www.EfficientByDesign.org
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 07:17:54 AM »
Love that kind of historical posting.  Were you part of the team, or just friends with one or more of them?

I have the VLab Motion and Toccatta cards and Movie Shop software, but have never set it up to try them out yet.  Hopefully before the end of the year I will try them out (after having them for several years it would be about time :lol: )

It was amazing what they created and according to a few reviews, it was superior in some ways to NewTek's Video Toaster/Flyer system.  I know that the Draco was much more advanced than my VLab Motion, but it is still incredible what was accomplished on the A2000's ZorroII bus.
How are you helping the Amiga community? :)

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 07:41:37 AM »
@amigadave

I was never part of the team that designed it. I just feel admiration for them: "The task was accomplished in a period of nine months by a group of sixteen people. It took them four months to have a booting prototype and five more to finish it."
How can anyone feel but respect their work?

Offline Kronos

• Resident blue troll
    • Show only replies by Kronos
    • http://www.SteamDraw.de
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 10:07:06 AM »
How do you define "true" clone ?

The Draco did not run anything that relied on OCS (or AGA) graphic and sound, what little compability it had was reached by featuring orginal Amiga-CIAs so the OS could setup it's timers. Think of it as Amithlon done in HW. Far from what I would call a "true" clone.
1. Make an announcment.
2. Wait a while.
3. Check if it can actually be done.
4. Wait for someone else to do it.
5. Start working on it while giving out hillarious progress-reports.
6. Deny that you have ever announced it
7. Blame someone else

Offline ChaosLord

• Show only replies by ChaosLord
    • http://totalchaoseng.dbv.pl/news.php
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 01:46:41 PM »
Draco had no Paula chip therefore it is not a clone.
Wanna try a wonderfull strategy game with lots of handdrawn anims,
Magic Spells and Monsters, Incredible playability and lastability,
English speech, etc. Total Chaos AGA

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 03:03:25 PM »
@Kronos

I mean it could run AmigaOS and RTG applications quite nicely, and was not a motherboard redesign like the Phoenix, it was a completely new design. Of course, games, demos and application which hit the native chipset, failed on it, as pointed out. But cannot be compared to Amithlon, a special linux kernel running in a x86 architecture that emulates an Amiga, DraCos were no emulation, as said, were a complete new hardware implementations.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:06:22 PM by Gulliver »

Offline cv643d

• Show only replies by cv643d
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 03:04:10 PM »
IMHO it is a clone, it runs 3.1 and it runs it in hardware on a different hardware.
Amiga articles
"New shell. It was finished a while back, but I still see bugs, haha" - SSolie

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 03:05:39 PM »
@ChaosLord

It had no paula, but you can use AHI to get sound thru the tocatta soundcard without no problems at all.

@cv643d
I agree with what you say about being a clone.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 03:18:16 PM by Gulliver »

Offline number6

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 04:56:09 PM »
@Gulliver

No list of contributors would be complete without mentioning at minimum, the following:
Douglas Nakakihara - Probably the best amiga manual writer I ever knew
Sherwood Stockwell - Beta testing co-ordinator Macrosystems U.S.
And *cough* the testers themselves, who never got to meet one another until years later. That IS, how it was done back then.

Oh...and Eric, Bohus, and others might have a different spin on the public history you summarized, but I doubt you'll see them post. Eric was Macrosystems U.S., better known as Noahji's. Bohus still works in the video editing business and was on the Draco team in the U.S.

And, although Casablanca was ahead of its time, we can see that time marches on with this page, which might have been written by Steve..dunno. We had a lot of "Steves".

http://www.kernersville.com/casablanca/index.html

More info:
http://www.kernersville.com/draconet

Macrosystems U.S.:
http://www.macrosystem.us

Some Macrosystems history:
http://www.macrosystem.de/e/history.html

Sadly, the group is gone now at:
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/MovieShop
Prior to that there was a listserver, which contained a wealth of Amiga audio/video knowledge. Sadly, that was all lost.

I'll stop now before I start sounding like Bernie, telling old war stories. Heh.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Thanks @number6 for your contribution. Really apreciated!

Offline number6

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 05:35:03 PM »
@Gulliver

Another thing people today might appreciate knowing is the general co-operation amongst the top firms back then. Most old timers will remember MainActor, so this tie-in with Macrosystems might be of interest.
Macrosytems-MainConcept
Interesting to also note that the last version of AdPro (unreleased) contained a new file viewer, MainView, which was also a part of the MainActor package.

Added: btw-I don't recall anyone working on these projects ever discussing whether we were a "clone".

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 05:52:25 PM »
I'd love to get my hands on a Draco sometime...Its seems that their impossible to find, even on ebay.

Offline terminator4

• Show only replies by terminator4
    • http://none
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 05:58:58 PM »
Quote from: Kronos;522238
How do you define "true" clone ?

The Draco did not run anything that relied on OCS (or AGA) graphic and sound, what little compability it had was reached by featuring orginal Amiga-CIAs so the OS could setup it's timers. Think of it as Amithlon done in HW. Far from what I would call a "true" clone.

Agreed.  And the price was way too high.  I don't think Toaster cost that must.  I could look back at my Amiga magazines...  But if you (Gulliver) are in love with it thats fine.  Whatever makes one happy.

Offline number6

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 06:32:20 PM »
@terminator4

I don't see that as a fair comparison since the Draco was a non-linear editor and the Toaster was not.
I think you mean a Video Toaster/Flyer system, and it was quite easy to spend a small fortune on those. 5-10 grand not uncommon. After all, certified 9gig SCSI drives were almost a grand alone back then and you needed several..