Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To all of you AmigaXL/Amithlon users  (Read 6646 times)

Description:

Offline Balti

• Show only replies by Balti
Re: To all of you AmigaXL/Amithlon users
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2002, 05:44:11 PM »
@JoNty

If you're seriously planning on using Amithlon/XL for the foreseeable future, then you can't possibly care about the Amiga's future.

I'm 99.99999% sure that if Bernie would be allowed to continue
Amithlon in every way he wants and is capable off then it would
have far more future than AOS4 and MOS together.

But it should be clear by now, that this won't happen  :-x
Earl Baltasar, Clanwolf of Takkatukka.
Merchant of the 2nd epoche.

*grummel*

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2002, 05:52:28 PM »
Balti wrote:
@illwrath

AFAIK Bernie (and Harald for sure) did and does get his money, while the whole situation between H&P and AInc is completly unclear.

And yes I do know Bill's statement, but I see no reason why I should trust him more (or less) than Mr Haage on this subject.

Leaving aside no less than three licenses/contracts that are under dispute in the current AmigaOS XL package (Amiga Inc's IP, Bernie's IP and AmiTCP), this still leaves one issue on which H&P are in blatant breach of license: The AmigaXL GPL license.

The AmigaXL executable was supposed to be released under the GPL, but none of the source distributions H&P have put out (three so far) have actually matched the executable. Since they were given plenty of time to comply with the GPL, and were asked repeatedly to do so without success, their license contract was terminated in accordance to the GPL by the copyright holder. This means that aside from any other problems, any copies of AmigaXL that are now being distributed are actually illegal.
Bill Hoggett

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2002, 05:57:58 PM »
@Balti

I'm 99.99999% sure that if Bernie would be allowed to continue Amithlon in every way he wants and is capable off then it would have far more future than AOS4 and MOS together.

A controversial opinion, but one which I share.
But it should be clear by now, that this won't happen

As I write, I'm 99.99999% sure you're right. We'll know very soon how this is going to end.
Bill Hoggett

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2002, 06:07:16 PM »
I'm 99.99999% sure that if Bernie would be allowed to continue Amithlon in every way he wants and is capable off then it would have far more future than AOS4 and MOS together.

It would have a market maybe, but not a future. The two are not the same.

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2002, 06:40:09 PM »
It would have a market maybe, but not a future. The two are not the same.

You spoke to the folks at Amiga Inc and they told you this, right?

Actually, you haven't spoken to anybody and you're just spouting your usual hate-filled ignorant claptrap.

(hint: I have spoken to people at Amiga Inc, and their plans for it are far more extensive than your puny mind would be prepared to accept.)
Bill Hoggett

Offline ne_one

• Show only replies by ne_one
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2002, 06:59:59 PM »
@bhoggett

"I have spoken to people at Amiga Inc, and their plans for it are far more extensive than your puny mind would be prepared to accept"

Ok Bill, spill the beans!  :-D

Wait, let me guess... you could tell us, but then you'd have to kill us? Argh.

Can you at least tell us if these plans are still in the works and if they are encouraging to both Bernie and the community?

You mentioned previously that there was a high degree of certainty that Amithlon was a dead issue but under Amiga's direction wouldn't it be viable in a new form as either an emulator or the basis of an x86  version of the OS?

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2002, 07:29:08 PM »
@ne_one
Ok Bill, spill the beans!  :-D

Wait, let me guess... you could tell us, but then you'd have to kill us? Argh.

Well, yes.  :-)

Can you at least tell us if these plans are still in the works and if they are encouraging to both Bernie and the community?

The plans are dependent on Bernie releasing his product. If that happens then yes, the plans - or at least those I know about - are encouraging to most people, though there will be those who would choke on their cornflakes if they were to be told about them now.

You mentioned previously that there was a high degree of certainty that Amithlon was a dead issue but under Amiga's direction wouldn't it be viable in a new form as either an emulator or the basis of an x86  version of the OS?

The problem is simply that if Bernie decides he's had enough the project is dead in the water. The viability is not in question, and never was. Even without Amiga Inc's plans viabilty was very good, and it would have attracted more users and made more money than AOS4 and MOS put together. With the plans I heard about it would have been even better, but the fact is that Bernie staying in the market is now a very unlikely scenario. We'll know shortly.
Bill Hoggett

Offline DesolatorTopic starter

• Show only replies by Desolator
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2002, 07:39:55 PM »
"The problem is simply that if Bernie decides he's had enough the project is dead in the water."

Couldn't someone else or even a group of old Amiga veterans take over the project (and hopefully manage to get the licenses and things that is needed.) if he decides he's had enough? There must be some people that has the talent to continue this great product. (Amiga.Inc.. nah, but that would be great. ;)
// Amiga - The computer for the creative mind.
// Ph.D in Amiga future optimism.

Offline JoNty

• Show only replies by JoNty
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2002, 08:06:53 PM »
"Yes i plan to continue to run Amithlon for as long as need it, I would not touch the AmigaONE or the Pegasus with a barge pole so yes i do not care about amigas future, i care ONLY about my computing needs,"

You might aswell just use a PC.

Offline JoNty

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2002, 08:11:07 PM »
"I'm 99.99999% sure that if Bernie would be allowed to continue
Amithlon in every way he wants and is capable off then it would
have far more future than AOS4 and MOS together.

But it should be clear by now, that this won't happen"

You're probably right, but you're right with one thing, it's not gonna happen.

Amithlon/XL has no future. No REAL future.

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2002, 08:15:48 PM »
"Amithlon/XL has no future. No REAL future."

Erm, you really have to be more openminded. This is the exact phrase people used for the Amiga computer when Commodore crashed, and there are still lots of people using the Amiga today, isn't it?

The point is, that even if You don't have any use for Amithlon/XL, then others has. People still run C64 programs and THAT would have no future one might think.

(and this is not meant as a personal attack. :) Just want you to see that things have a future even if it doesn't seem like it at the first glance.)

Offline JoNty

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2002, 08:44:02 PM »
[color=3300FF]I'M GONNA GET MY DAD ONTO YOU![/color][/b]  :)

What can I say? I'm pro AmigaOne/OS 4. I have absolutely nothing against emulation, but I just can't see how people can use Amithlon/XL and say they support the Amiga at the same time, and there are some who claim they do.

Fair enough. If you're waiting for the AmigaOne/OS 4, then by all means use Amithlon/XL, but those who really love Amithlon/XL and STILL feel like the Amiga owes them something should shut up, wake up and realise they're gonna be left in the dust.

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2002, 08:54:12 PM »
hehe, I better watch out. :) *installs AmigaOS Dad-Firewall 3.9*

I guess the majority of Amithlon/XL users want OS4 to come to the x86...well...I wouldn't keep my hopes up until atleast OS5.

Offline JoNty

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2002, 09:03:19 PM »
That really should of been "Wake up, shut up", unless Amithlon/XL users speak in their sleep. :)

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2002, 09:22:29 PM »
@Desolator
Couldn't someone else or even a group of old Amiga veterans take over the project (and hopefully manage to get the licenses and things that is needed.) if he decides he's had enough? There must be some people that has the talent to continue this great product. (Amiga.Inc.. nah, but that would be great. ;)

I don't see that happening. Bernie would be mothballing the project, not abandoning it. So you'd not only need to get together enough skilled people to understand his work and take it forward, but you'd also need to find the funding to buy his IP off him. Considering the way he's been treated, he might not be too keen on selling, specially as legal action would follow his departure.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #29 from previous page: November 25, 2002, 09:25:43 PM »
You might aswell just use a PC.

I assume your refering to Windows, then yes i use Windows and Amithlon (dual boot) which does all my needs (amiga software and windows software) which is a good way to get the best of both worlds, i do not want anymore amiga hardware full stop,

You keep going on about support but where do you draw the line? if i use a amiga emulator and buy software then thats enough for me, i dont need to buy silly priced hardware and own OS4 to become a member of "Amiga supporters of the world", many sensible users buy what they want/need, no one in the right mind is going to buy something just on the terms "Look at me i have supported amiga",

why dont we all buy new monitors,speakers,cd players, dvd players, walkmans, tvs,videos and other stuff just to support the makers.