Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: is super street fighter 2 a good port?  (Read 7974 times)

Description:

Offline leirbag28

Re: is super street fighter 2 a good port?
« Reply #29 from previous page: June 23, 2006, 04:47:10 PM »
@Morax

Have you heard the Super Nintendo in action?  almost all games have better sound than most Amiga games and definitaly than Genesis games.

Be it what ever bit the sound is. It may be due to higher sampling rates and more memory for sound.

Lots of AMiga games could have had better sound and Gfx had they been designed to use more RAM

CD32 is actually the best Amiga ever made by Commodore!...

Offline ptek

• Show only replies by ptek
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006, 10:56:53 PM »
It is messy compared to the amiga way, but i sure as hell think it beats the Windows way. Like for examle how /home=user dirs, /usr/bin being binary/executable files, /dev being the dir for devices and so on.. In windows everything is dumped into the windows or system dir.

Yes, your point of view is right. But I still find the Linux nomenclature not nice. Abbreviated names don't look friendly at all.

Why exactly do you use such low res?? Old monitor? I cannot use more than 800x600 on this old laptop i am typing on now, and it looks like hell on windowsxp in my opinion.

That's right, an old monitor and also a crap one : a Philips model. I also have some astigmatism, so that low resolution is more pleasant to my eyes.
Onions have layers ...

Offline DamageXTopic starter

• Show only replies by DamageX
    • http://www.hyakushiki.net/
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2006, 05:39:56 AM »
ADPCM is a (lossy) compression method. The SPC700 uses audio stored with 4 bits/sample but is probably decoded to 16-bit PCM. Check out Tales of Phantasia for a proper demonstration of SNES sound capability. I personally really like FM though...

Offline Morax

• Show only replies by Morax
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2006, 01:22:27 PM »
@leirbag: I know what you mean, most Amiga games have been developed for Amiga 500's with only 512KB Chip Mem, which most of the time doesn't allow for high quality sound. Second of all, the SNES has 8 stereo sound channel while the Amiga has only 2 (stereo that is). But I have to admit, I never really played on a SNES, just looking at the facts :-)
But the Amiga HAS higher quality sound than the Megadrive (save for the lack of some of them due to the low amount of audio channels, and the bad pre-'89 ports)

By the way, I DO like the better-than-soundblaster-FM-sound of the Megadrive :-D
-Nothing to see here, move along!-

Offline Tomas

• Show only replies by Tomas
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2006, 03:26:39 PM »

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 03:20:22 AM »

Before I even begin to Comment............Did you say  ECS version of Fightin Spirit!???????????????

Where???????????

I have been searching for that.  Is this True????  have you actually played it?

as far as I know only the Intro and menu of the AGA version runs on an ECS AMiga.but the actual game doesnt......unless there genuinly is an ECS version????

There sure is an ECS version! I have it installed on my A2000 (1MB Chip + 2MB Fast, OS3.1, SCSI Hard Drive) and it runs beautifully. It supports all the same options as the AGA version, including 2-button and CD32 control pads (SSF2 ECS didn't support CD32 pads, even though the AGA version did).

The only differences I could see between the ECS and AGA versions were a few colour differences... I think some of the characters had a slightly different palette, although both versions of the game run in 64 colour Extra Halfbright as far as I can tell. The other difference is the bloke who pops up at the start of the match with the flags and goes "Fight!" isn't in the ECS version. That's all. Everything else, as far as I can tell, is exactly the same.

This is a game that I think was designed on an ECS machine, with an AGA version being released with minor enhancements later on. I think the game would have seemed more impressive if the AGA version was released first, which people would have found impressive enough, then the ECS version coming out afterwards, which would have blown people away, expecting it to lose colours and sprite size.

In any case, I love the game. The CD32 version is my favourite, even though I do prefer the in-game tunes from the floppy version.
Amiga user forever.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2006, 04:44:11 AM »
Owning a SNES, Megadrive and Amiga I would have to say that for sheer arcade replication the Megadrive wins.

The 6-Button Megadrive pad was far more true to the cabinets than the shoulder buttons of the SNES (and consoles ever since).

Nothing really comes close to the Streets of Rage and Sonic games for sprite animation, scrolling and multi-channel sound. Shinobi was another good one and Yuzo Koshiro certainly knew how to get the most out of that little Z80 sound processor. Treasure were also a good exploiter of the Sega Megadrive with Gunstar Heroes, Alien Soldier and Dynamite Headdy now appearing on a retro compilation.

On the subject of sound chips, Megadrive's was a 10-channel audio processor so you could say it was more capable than the SNES, particularly when the Mega-CD added it's own 22KHz PCM processor and CDDA. Not to mention the Megadrive/Mega-CD/32X combo.

The SuperFX chip used in some SNES carts was, I believe, just a maths chip. It was used in Starwing(/Starfox), Stunt Race FX and Doom, I don't think it was used in Killer Instinct. KI was a damn fine beat 'em up though, equally as good as Streetighter 2 (I did a 64 hit combo with Orchid once!)

A lot of the speech samples on the Megadrive Streetfighter 2:CE were cracklier than the SNES but alledgedly this was to use more memory for character animation (and boy was it good on Megadrive). Megadrive SF2:CE was 24-MBit which is smaller than the 4x 880K floppies (27½-MBit) the risible Amiga version resided on.

Megadrive Super Streetfighter 2 was 40-MBit (5MB or 6x 880K floppies). There really isn't excuse for anything but perfection on a CD32 version as the 3DO version was apparently pretty good).

As for Zool 2, well the Jaguar version beat the Amiga one hands down. It has the same resolution from what I can make out but the scrolling is fluid (unlike the Zool 2 AGA which is crappy). Also, the Jag version has simultaneous Sound and Music.

Some Amiga games were lazy and there's no excuse for that, US Gold definately deserve infamy for their {bleep}ups. If you want to witness what Amiga can do in terms of sound and scrolling forget Ruff 'N Tumble and try Kid Chaos. I'm not sure if it's AGA but it has scrolling as smoothe and fast as Sonic, the character (A caveman) spins around much the same way and is basically a higher octane Zool.

I heard Super Stardust was crap on PC! It's a damn good game on AGA Amigas machines though, standard Stardust for ECS is just as playable with fantastic eye and ear candy!

I agree about Chaos Engine's scrolling, it's certainly not up to Mercs on Megadrive.

I suppose now all these machines are classed as retro you can pick them up a little cheaper and with good bundles.

Even though I'm a fan of the Sonic games and Zool/Kid Chaos, nothing is more beautiful to the eyes and ears than Donkey Kong Country on SNES.

:banana: :banana: ;-)

EDIT:
I have a 1987 copy of Streetfighter 1 (1x 880k floppy or 7-MBit) but I can't get it to run.

:-(

Offline zombi

• Show only replies by zombi
    • http://www.webdefteri.com
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2006, 08:30:50 AM »
Amiga version of "Super Street Fighter II : The New Challengers" is my favorite among other versions of "Super Street Fighter 2" including coin-up version.

Of course I'am talking about versus game and keyboard input. Street Fighter games are not playable by joystick unless you have real arcade stick.

Also I shuld say that, although I love it, Amiga version is far different than coin-up game. It is not as fast as original one (i think it is too fast to play) and has smaller sprites.
Only Amiga Makes It Possible!

Offline r0jaws

• Show only replies by r0jaws
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2006, 02:17:56 PM »
@ptek

Yes, your point of view is right. But I still find the Linux nomenclature not nice. Abbreviated names don't look friendly at all.

are you expecting a nice cuddle perhaps from your rig?  :-D
It's all a matter of what you're used to, many a Win victim finds other os's 'too hard' boo hoo!
I found amigas a little tricky at first until I familiarised myself with its structure, purely because it was new. No probs now though.

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2006, 04:52:23 PM »
The 3DO version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo is the best coin-op conversion I have ever played.

Gonna plug in the old 3DO and play it again this weekend methinks.

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2006, 05:45:30 PM »
@Rebel-CD32

This is awesome to know

Proves once and for all!!! that Amigas (16bit ones)  at the time are better than SNES or GENESIS or at least can do it the same.   Fightin Spirit is an amazing game...........just imagine the characters being the Street Fighter ones....................boy US GOLD suck! at least GameTEK made the game look right.  all these comapnies cared about was a license and quick port.

Also Kid Chaos plays awesome..but it would need full overscan to be comparable in my book. I think chopping off borders is Cheating! and Kid Chaos certainly does not fill the screen, Sonic Does! and so does Super Mario Bros.

nevertheless...I know it can be done on the Amiga.

Mortal Kombat 2 also works on ECS correct?  I was playing Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the Sony Playstation recently.and boy does it suck!  the Amiga version is quite comparable to it.

the SNES version is the best in gfx and sound. has the animated backdrops of the Arcade.........the Amiga and Playstaion dont!   the Genesis has fewer colors.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2006, 02:48:54 AM »
by nicholas:
The 3DO version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo is the best coin-op conversion I have ever played.

Gonna plug in the old 3DO and play it again this weekend methinks.

Didn't the 3DO have only one joypad port and 2-player was connected to the first joypad? There was a cool tank game that looked good on 3DO too, not to mention the best version of Road Rash!

Anyone remember the Philips CDi? I seem to recall it having a rubbish Zelda/Mario game or two but Burn Cycle was highly rated. The CDTV didn't seem to have a killer app, wonder what the CD32's was... Alien Breed:Tower Assault maybe?

I'll have to track down this Super Streetfighter 2 Turbo:The New Challengers, does it support CD32 pads?

:-D

Wasn't Mortal Kombat 2 an AGA title? I remember it being pretty close to the coin-op, very playable. WHDLoad would make this a cracker.

The best Mortal Kombat 2 was probably the 32X version, then it went to Mortal Kombat 3 on Megadrive/SNES (I had a job testing the cartridges once!). You can't beat a cartridge based machine for beat 'em ups, who wants loading times when you could be spending that time exacting revenge?

;-)

Don't recall Kid Chaos having borders, you sure it isn't an NTSC/PAL issue?

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 04:39:49 PM »
@Hyperspeed

Kid CHaos Definitely has Borders............But I wouldnt call it "BORDERS on anything...........they are actually GFX CHopped off for a speed increase cuz some programmers cant seem to get the speed they want out of the plain Amiga. But the Amiga can do it at 7mhz.  There is hardlt an FULL SCREEN games on the Amiga.  2 of them that are FULL SCREEN come to my mind.....and thats PACMANIA and PROJECTX.  When I say FULL SCREEN, I mean no borders or cut off edges all around.top and bottom.

as as for Fightin Spirit ECS........WHere can i get it??????

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2006, 12:57:34 AM »
Anyone Selling Fightin Spirit ECS version?  I beliueve its free for download in USA but not in UK

Anyone?

Offline jmbattle

• Show only replies by jmbattle
    • http://www.amigainabox.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2006, 03:33:09 AM »
My apologies, but are you not living in New York?

James
x

Offline leirbag28

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2006, 04:10:04 PM »
@jmbattle

Yes...I am in New York...............your point is?