Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon - Anything Happening?  (Read 4543 times)

Description:

Offline RanchuTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ranchu
Amithlon - Anything Happening?
« on: November 10, 2002, 10:31:54 AM »
I've been waiting a few months now for Amithlon to start shipping again.

Is it ever going to happen or should I move on? Hopefully they will start supporting it again...

It will be a shame if this doesn't go ahead - I was very interested in running Workbench on x86 and this looked to be the best product.

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
Re: Amithlon - Anything Happening?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2002, 10:34:27 AM »
BHoggett has been commenting on another thread that things are not looking too promising atm.

I'm sure if he knows differently that he will correct my comment.
The Reluctant Pom

Offline Coder

• Show only replies by Coder
    • http://www.amiga.nl
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2002, 11:18:30 AM »
Hi,

Is it not just to late? I also have been waiting for a long time. To be honest, I gave up the hope to see it ever coming out.

Coder
Check it out - I found the ass-end!

Offline RanchuTopic starter

• Show only replies by Ranchu
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2002, 11:48:56 AM »
Hmmm.

Is it a licensing issue? I would be happy to buy Amithlon and OS3.9 seperately if need be...

I hope an annoucement is made soon because I'm getting disheartened with the wait.

Offline jumpship

• Show only replies by jumpship
    • http://onlyamiga.kicks-ass.net
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2002, 11:57:41 AM »
I am not sure, but I don't think it is a problem with the OS, last I heard it was something to do with P96 guys.

Someone correct me if I am wrong!

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2002, 12:05:54 PM »
@Coder

Is it not just to late?

As long as there is no sign of there ever being an x86 version of AmigaOS, it's never too late.

@Ranchu

Is it a licensing issue? I would be happy to buy Amithlon and OS3.9 seperately if need be...

It's not that. Am*thlon 2 was always going be distributed as stand-alone anyway, though OEM's might have decided to bundle it with OS 3.9.

I hope an annoucement is made soon because I'm getting disheartened with the wait.

We're all getting pretty disheartened with the wait.  Be careful what you wish for though, as an announcement might not necessarily herald something you want to hear.
Bill Hoggett

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2002, 12:10:39 PM »
@jumpship

I am not sure, but I don't think it is a problem with the OS, last I heard it was something to do with P96 guys.

Someone correct me if I am wrong!

That was the problem. I can no longer say with certainty that it still is, as my information dried up just as things looked like they might be moving in the right direction.

Make of that what you will.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Darrin

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by Darrin
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2002, 02:03:12 PM »
@ Bill Hoggett,

Hey Bill,

What's the situation between the P96 chaps and Elbox now... have they burried the hatchet?
A2000, A3000, 2 x A1200T, A1200, A4000Tower & Mediator, CD32, VIC-20, C64, C128, C128D, PET 8032, Minimig & ARM, C-One, FPGA Arcade... and AmigaOne X1000.

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2002, 02:10:45 PM »
Darrin wrote:

What's the situation between the P96 chaps and Elbox now... have they burried the hatchet?

You'd have to ask the P96 guys. I have no contact with either party, so I wouldn't know. I haven't heard that the situation has changed though, so I suspect it hasn't.
Bill Hoggett

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2002, 02:18:41 PM »
I don't Think it's any of that.
I think it's politics.

It's fact that the dude at hyperion did not want the emulator to come. (because of obvious reasons)

I agree with him 100%

I believe that instead of bringing out amithlon, they will make it an invisable part of the OS so that older progs can be emulated with ease. (some of em)

I think that Amiga Inc. will control the emulation part of the OS to a certain extent so that people won't start foolishly talking about how unstable the system is.

It's amiga users fault really.
Always biting the hand  of the master.

The only thing that the emulation process should be used for is some very important progs.

Directory Opus and so on

Later on down the road...
Say about 1 or 2 years, they might give us an emulator, but right now I think the world don't need to hear about how unstable the OS is because someone doesn't know how to use an emulator.

And also BTW...
There could also be a little fear of Haage and Partner.
If I remember, they helped build the first version, and might have issues.

H and P is startin to look like the next microsoft to me.

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2002, 03:06:59 PM »

mounatinmyst wrote:
I don't Think it's any of that.
I think it's politics.

What are you on about? You're barking up so many wrong trees you'll get lost in the forest.

And also BTW...
There could also be a little fear of Haage and Partner.
If I remember, they helped build the first version, and might have issues.

They didn't help, they just published. H&P played no role whatsoever in the development of Amithlon, but they are central to all the subsequent problems and delays surrounding it.

H and P is startin to look like the next microsoft to me.

A very sorry and pathetic excuse of a wannabe immitator more like.  My guess is that H&P will leave the Amiga market inside six months, but not before they do terminal damage to one or two projects.

I expect an Amithlon related statement to be released in the next few weeks, but at this stage I'm not optimistic as to what this will bring us.  To refer to Coder's comment earlier: It's not too late yet, but it's getting uncomfortably close.
Bill Hoggett

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2002, 03:59:14 PM »
What are you on about? You're barking up so many wrong trees you'll get lost in the forest.

Explain please.

Last I heard, amithlon was about to be released.
The only thing (according to the site) that was delaying was legal concerns between Haage and partner and Amiga Inc.

http://www.amithlon.net/en/amithlon_statement.txt

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2002, 05:32:30 PM »
mounatinmyst wrote:

Explain please.

Oh dear, we'd be here until next year if I tried to do that..

Last I heard, amithlon was about to be released. The only thing (according to the site) that was delaying was legal concerns between Haage and partner and Amiga Inc.

http://www.amithlon.net/en/amithlon_statement.txt

That statement dates back to April, when Bernie informed H&P that he was terminating their contract.

In June Bernie announced that he would be releasing "Am*thlon 2" on the 1st of July, but a few days before this date the P96 team decided that they would postpone granting a license pending "further clarification". Negotiations with P96 then went on for months, often hindered by external influences I don't want to comment on (but which should be easy enough to guess). During this time Bernie has been subjected to personal attacks from certain parties both in private and in public.

This remains the situation as I write. However, I can say two things:

-Amiga Inc want Bernie to release his software. They have even tried to move negotiations on a little.

-Hyperion, although not supportive of anything to do with x86, have stated that they are not responsible for the current delays. The evidence available to me gives me no reason to disbelieve them on this occasion. (Those who have been following my posts will know that I'm not normally inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt, so you should rest assured that I really believe they're not involved.)
Bill Hoggett

Offline ne_one

• Show only replies by ne_one
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2002, 07:13:08 PM »
@bhoggett

Have you been in contact with Bernie at all? I suspect that after having gone through this whole fiasco he probably would prefer to ditch the whole thing.

I can't imagine what the P96 team could possibly want. Is it a royalty issue (on a 6 year old product no less) or a personal bone they have to pick? One thing is for certain... you need a thick skin to attempt to do anything productive in this market. Being thickheaded apparently is a prerequisite for most too.

I can't imagine why Hyperion would care either. Given Amiga's interest in maintaining the product why woudn't they just take over distribution and win both ways? For that matter the work on Amithlon could contribute greatly to an x86 version of the OS -- if and when that ever materializes.

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2002, 07:25:30 PM »
@ne_one wrote:

Have you been in contact with Bernie at all?

Yes.

I suspect that after having gone through this whole fiasco he probably would prefer to ditch the whole thing.

No comment.

I can't imagine what the P96 team could possibly want. Is it a royalty issue (on a 6 year old product no less) or a personal bone they have to pick? One thing is for certain... you need a thick skin to attempt to do anything productive in this market. Being thickheaded apparently is a prerequisite for most too.

I wouldn't throw too much blame on the P96 guys. Like I said, there have been external influences working towards preventing the release of "v2", and the P96 guys are victims too.
I can't imagine why Hyperion would care either. Given Amiga's interest in maintaining the product why woudn't they just take over distribution and win both ways? For that matter the work on Amithlon could contribute greatly to an x86 version of the OS -- if and when that ever materializes.

No comment again. There may be grounds for speculation, but it's not a good time to do so.
Bill Hoggett