Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AROS native on a 68k Powerbook  (Read 2920 times)

Description:

AROS native on a 68k Powerbook
« on: March 23, 2003, 06:10:28 PM »
Is this possible?  I've seen one going cheap.

Would it qualify as a laptop Amiga?  ;-)

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
Re: AROS native on a 68k Powerbook
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2003, 06:30:25 PM »
No it would not! as you said its a 68k based Laptop and the current version of AROS does not support anything else then x86 based cpu (PC if you will) you could always try and hunt down a AROS version from 97 when there was still a up 2 date 68k version but i doubt it would be very usefull :-)! better wait untill someone finds the interest in porting to 68k again or buy a x86 based laptop.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2003, 10:25:27 PM »

mdma wrote:
Is this possible?  I've seen one going cheap.

Would it qualify as a laptop Amiga?  ;-)

HAhahah, Assuming we have an upto date 68K port of AROS (Other than the Palm version) then I guess it would pretty close to an Amiga laptop.
It would be able to run all OS legal Amiga software, out of the box, much like a Draco amiga "clone".

But it would be cheaper, and more powerful (better gfx, sound and battery life) to get a cheap x86 laptop and then either Run AROS on it or run AROS/Windoze and then UAE.

Nice idea though. If you do get the 68K laptop then you could port AROS to it, if you have the tech docs for it, it should not take more than a few nights to get it to run. (The AROS team would be happy to help you out of course). :-)

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 11:40:17 PM »
It won´t happen until AROS x86 is complete.
Unless you do it yourself
But then ......
But I´m not really sure, can Powerbooks run linux?
I think it must be able to do that for AROS to work.
But just imagine running the binarycompatible AROS 68k on a powerbook, mac colour classic, atari falcon or a Next workstation!!!!

8-)
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2003, 01:34:18 AM »
But just imagine running the binarycompatible AROS 68k on a powerbook, mac colour classic, atari falcon or a Next workstation!!!!

Can you imagine it, AROS on an Atari???  It'd throw all the old ST vs Amiga arguments through the window.  I'd like to see it though!

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2003, 01:38:24 AM »
Nice idea though. If you do get the 68K laptop then you could port AROS to it, if you have the tech docs for it, it should not take more than a few nights to get it to run. (The AROS team would be happy to help you out of course).

What's AROS written in C?  My C is extremley rusty (read BAD).  Saying that though, it'd be a nice little project though, just for the sake of seeing run.  I wouldn't have any practical use for it!

Might buy that laptop and have a go.

Offline strobe

• Show only replies by strobe
    • http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:7XQQZXN3cS4C:www.amiga.com/corporate/amigadepartypack.shtml
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2003, 03:15:11 AM »
You can run UAE on a modern PowerBook and it will run AROS a lot faster.

Offline 4pLaY

• Show only replies by 4pLaY
    • https://www.amigalife.org
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2003, 06:53:14 AM »
Yes AROS is written in C.

Offline olegil

• Show only replies by olegil
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2003, 07:47:56 AM »
Whew, had to retry posting here 6 times. Kept getting logged out when I hit "reply"...

@strobe:

You are getting to be a tad annoying with your PowerBook salesman personality there. Ever stop to think that maybe other people here AREN'T Mac fanatics? Personally I think the idea of buying an m68k and porting AROS to it sounds like a masterplan. This is after all hobby, not work.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2003, 11:17:22 AM »

mdma wrote:

Can you imagine it, AROS on an Atari???  It'd throw all the old ST vs Amiga arguments through the window.  I'd like to see it though!

Aggghhhh!!!!! I never thought of that... if only I hadn't thrown away that old ST I had... It would run like a blind, three legged dog (and low res gfx only if you want colour :-P ), but to see AROS on an ST would still be funny....

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2003, 11:35:27 AM »
Aggghhhh!!!!! I never thought of that... if only I hadn't thrown away that old ST I had...

You owned an ST? Shame on you!!!  ;-)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2003, 11:48:21 AM »

mdma wrote:
Aggghhhh!!!!! I never thought of that... if only I hadn't thrown away that old ST I had...

You owned an ST? Shame on you!!!  ;-)

Hahaha, I was given it in 1996. I tried to play with it for a bit, but it was too limited compared to my PPC A1200, so I took it to bits... I still have the mainboard somewhere but that's all, and most of the chips have been damaged or lost.

Running AROS on an ST would be as painfull as it is pointless though.. I guess a Falcon would be a much more suitable machine, shame no one ever bought one :-D

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2003, 12:32:50 PM »
Running AROS on an ST would be as painfull as it is pointless though.. I guess a Falcon would be a much more suitable machine, shame no one ever bought one

I new a guy who had a TT (I think that s what it was called)  It ran some form of System/V UNIX on an 030/040 CPU.  I've only just moved back up north after six years, I'll try to find if he lives round here still and if he's still got it.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2003, 05:06:29 PM »

mdma wrote:
Running AROS on an ST would be as painfull as it is pointless though.. I guess a Falcon would be a much more suitable machine, shame no one ever bought one

I new a guy who had a TT (I think that s what it was called)  It ran some form of System/V UNIX on an 030/040 CPU.  I've only just moved back up north after six years, I'll try to find if he lives round here still and if he's still got it.

Well, if you get AROS running on that I'd love to see it... Posting the picture on a few Atari fan sites should warm the pot a little.  :-D

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2003, 06:11:24 PM »
btw Does AROS run on UAE / Amithlon?