Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Amiga Kit Amiga Store Iridium Banner AMIStore App Store A600 Memory

AuthorTopic: Undelete files under Windows XP  (Read 1531 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jettah

Undelete files under Windows XP
« on: August 27, 2004, 01:50:59 PM »
Hi folks,

Have you all had a good holiday? Enjoyed experiences you never come across in your daily life? Good, for it helps keeping a man (M/F) retaining his/her sanity!

I'm about to loose mine, as I deleted a file from a former Windows setup.

At some time, years ago I bought a computer with Windows Me. Later I installed Windows XP on a newly installed second HD.
So, over time the Me install became redundant and I therefore deleted the WINDOWS folder from the old drive. However I overlooked one  problem: inside that WINDOWS-folder there was at least one other folder which is still in use.

Is there a way to UNDELETE the entire WINDOWS-folder?
It is a FAT-formatted partition. Nothing has been written to that partition after the delete. I simply tried to remove the folder by putting it to the trashcan, which was to small to accommodate the WINDOWS-folder so it simply deleted the whole thing (after 4.379 dire warnings ofcourse!)

Please help, as my status as man-of-great-knowledge-of-computers is at stake...

Regards,

Tjitte

P.S. I was (wife and kids included) off to Iceland for two weeks. Lovely country!
Sometimes I wish I was Mt Vesuvius: laying on my back in the sun while smoking a bit and everybody seeing me would say: \\"Look! He\\\'s active!\\" (author unknown to me)
 

  • Guest
Re: Undelete files under Windows XP
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 01:58:27 PM »
This is an AMIGA-only site.
For PC-problems you have to go to 386dx.org
 :lol:
 

Offline bloodline

  • Master Sock Abuser
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Join Date: Mar 2002
  • Posts: 12113
  • Total likes: 0
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
Re: Undelete files under Windows XP
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 02:11:03 PM »
Quote

Jettah wrote:
Hi folks,

Have you all had a good holiday? Enjoyed experiences you never come across in your daily life? Good, for it helps keeping a man (M/F) retaining his/her sanity!

I'm about to loose mine, as I deleted a file from a former Windows setup.

At some time, years ago I bought a computer with Windows Me. Later I installed Windows XP on a newly installed second HD.
So, over time the Me install became redundant and I therefore deleted the WINDOWS folder from the old drive. However I overlooked one  problem: inside that WINDOWS-folder there was at least one other folder which is still in use.

Is there a way to UNDELETE the entire WINDOWS-folder?
It is a FAT-formatted partition. Nothing has been written to that partition after the delete. I simply tried to remove the folder by putting it to the trashcan, which was to small to accommodate the WINDOWS-folder so it simply deleted the whole thing (after 4.379 dire warnings ofcourse!)

Please help, as my status as man-of-great-knowledge-of-computers is at stake...

Regards,

Tjitte

P.S. I was (wife and kids included) off to Iceland for two weeks. Lovely country!


Provided you've not written any data to the drive since you deleted the files, you can simply purchase of of many exellent programs that will scan the disk for deleted files. I used one called "Recovermyfiles", I think. Registration cost aboot $30.

Offline blobrana

Re: Undelete files under Windows XP
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 07:16:58 PM »
Hum,
Why, why has no-one suggested using his backup? ;)

All your files should be there:



Xp (pro)  has a recover system
HELP andSupport -> recover
but this may not help here...

So i would perhaps download this...

Offline dnelsonfl

Re: Undelete files under Windows XP
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 08:09:44 PM »
There is an excellent free program called "Restoration" by Brian Kato that will undelete files under Windows XP. It works on FAT, FAT95, and NTFS volumes. I've even used it on CDRW, ZIP and floppies. Do a search on the 'net for it.
 

Offline LauraPrepon

Re: Undelete files under Windows XP
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 04:32:02 AM »
You just need some data recovery software to solve the problem.
 

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

Re: Undelete files under Windows XP
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 04:42:46 AM »
Quote from: LauraPrepon;804193
You just need some data recovery software to solve the problem.

Original thread was posted in 2004.  Probably too late for data recovery software, now!  ;)
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos
 

Offline ciVic

Re: Undelete files under Windows XP
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 09:36:34 PM »
Laura joined to post this 12 years later as her first post. Probably just spam.
 

Offline paul1981

Re: Undelete files under Windows XP
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »
Quote from: ciVic;804225
Laura joined to post this 12 years later as her first post. Probably just spam.


Shhhhh... i don't want the mods to remove it as she's so pretty. :)
 

Offline carvedeye

Re: Undelete files under Windows XP
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 11:49:43 PM »
Just download Recuva which is free recovery software.

https://www.piriform.com/recuva
A1200T: M1230XA 50Mhz 68030 w/64mb,DVDRom, 80gb hdd, Realtek LAN Card, Mediator LT4 + Radeon 9250 128mb(used for fast ram), Spider USB Card, Voodoo 3 3000 OS 3.9 +bb 1-3
 

Offline Aegis

Re: Undelete files under Windows XP
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 12:48:08 AM »
Somehow I doubt Merilin Perli's an Amigan :D

https://models.com/newfaces/modeloftheweek/10807

(and it's scary how good Google's reverse image search is...)
Catapultem habeo. Nisi pecuniam amnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.