Amiga.org

Amiga computer related discussion => Amiga Gaming => Topic started by: XDelusion on August 01, 2011, 01:13:48 AM

Title: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 01, 2011, 01:13:48 AM
DOOM is on Amiga, so that's my excuse for posting this here. ;)

Anyhow (from DOOMworld):

If you were thinking to yourself "gee, I feel like reading a 4000-word Doom level design retrospective on an architecture blog," then today's your lucky day. On The Funambulist, artist Viktor Timofeev has posted an article entitled Learning from Doom, where he conducts "cyber-archaeology" inside the "digital-ruin universe" of Doom and Doom 2, examining the now-primitive designs and design glitches with lots of pictures along the way. If nothing else, it's probably the only time you will see Michelangelo, Giulio Romano, El Lissitzky, Pierre Koenig, Nam June Paik, and Megadeth all mentioned together.

http://thefunambulist.net/2011/07/26/guest-writers-essays-05-learning-from-doom-by-viktor-timofeev/
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Kesa on August 01, 2011, 02:02:53 AM
Ah, memories of all those lost hours living in Doom :rolleyes:

This truly is the best game of all time. Nothing today even comes close to being at dooms level. Even though i thought the multiplayer sucked liked hell on earth  :madashell:

The latest Doom game i played was Freedoom which is amazing! My fav backdrop was in Doom2 when you can see the cities in ruins. Very nice.

Don't get me started on Doom3 which i just plain crap :(

Thanks for the link :)
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Kesa on August 01, 2011, 02:07:15 AM
Oh yeah i forgot. The worst game ever is any Quake game.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Tripitaka on August 01, 2011, 02:19:21 AM
I've played way too much DOOM, I still have "D!MATCH" (D! doom interface and 150 deathmatch levels) and "The ultimate doom add on collection for Doom and Doom II" CD's. Along with the games of course. I got a lot of extra Quake levels too, "Malice, 23rd century ultraconversion" and "Dark Hour" for a start.
I still go back to them every now and then (on various platforms) and now I've looked at that article I think I'm gonna have to do it again, dammit, that's another week gone and it's all your fault.  :P The only question is which wad to load up.... hmm.... only a few hundred thousand to choose from.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Tripitaka on August 01, 2011, 02:20:54 AM
Quote from: Kesa;652455
Oh yeah i forgot. The worst game ever is any Quake game.


I have to disagree. Malice is way cool.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Franko on August 01, 2011, 03:17:28 AM
Never understood what people see in DOOM, guess the only thing I've "learned" from Doom is that A) it was crap & B) It led to all those 3D style games that people play today that all look and play the same... :(

DOOM = Worst Thing Ever To Happen To Computer Games... :(
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: commodorejohn on August 01, 2011, 03:27:43 AM
Quote from: Kesa;652455
Oh yeah i forgot. The worst game ever is any Quake game.
Shutcher face, Quake and Quake II kicked ass, back in the days before everybody decided first-person shooters had to be GRITTY AND REALISTIC.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: NovaCoder on August 01, 2011, 06:09:14 AM
I once played it so much that I could still see it when I closed my eyes to go to sleep....woops.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: J-Golden on August 01, 2011, 06:24:29 AM
Quote from: NovaCoder;652475
I once played it so much that I could still see it when I closed my eyes to go to sleep....woops.

My Carpel Tunnel flaire up when ever I even THINK of Doom.  Doctors made BANK off of that game...  I know mine did! :D
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 01, 2011, 06:35:19 AM
I should take a photo of my DOOM collection some day, I got novels, minitures, posters, sealed games, giant books on editing, every commercial game based on the engine (which were mostly puzzle/rpg Franko), you name it, massive collection!

DOOM III? What's so Doom about it? Reminded me more of System Shock light. Not DOOM, horrid story (I like the one in the DOOM bible better), but not bad if you just get past the title, though not one of ID's usual works of art. DOOM 4 sounds promising though.

As for the movie... What movie?

Actually DOOM was inspired by Alien and Evil Dead.

My best experience was hooking my PSX up to the HiFi, putting on huge head phones that blocked out external sound, pulling my recliner up close to the screen, turning out the lights, and playing long hours into the night.

Scared the piss out of me!!!
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: J-Golden on August 01, 2011, 06:58:40 AM
I got the game "Blood" from GOG.COM a bit ago and really enjoyed that!  I think it was built on the Doom engine and is totally right up your ally XD!
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 01, 2011, 07:04:29 AM
That one uses the Build Engine, but the enemies were made by taking blue screen pictures of hand sculpted models like in Doom. :)

See my post here and follow the links for some cool pics of the original Blood models!

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30427

I'm Syfo-Dyas btw. :)
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 01, 2011, 07:07:17 AM
Actually here's the link to the Blood models, though the other one has a pic or two of Doom models.

http://www.the-postmortem.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1181
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Kesa on August 01, 2011, 08:45:15 AM
Quote from: NovaCoder;652475
I once played it so much that I could still see it when I closed my eyes to go to sleep....woops.

This actually happens to me on a regular basis usually when i play Call of Duty online multiplayer. But it also happened with DOOM too. For me it was the Rocket Launcher i remember the most :)

I think it happens when you play something chaotic for too long :confused:
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Kesa on August 01, 2011, 08:52:07 AM
Quote from: XDelusion;652478
I should take a photo of my DOOM collection some day, I got novels, minitures, posters, sealed games, giant books on editing, every commercial game based on the engine (which were mostly puzzle/rpg Franko), you name it, massive collection!

DOOM III? What's so Doom about it? Reminded me more of System Shock light. Not DOOM, horrid story (I like the one in the DOOM bible better), but not bad if you just get past the title, though not one of ID's usual works of art. DOOM 4 sounds promising though.

As for the movie... What movie?

Actually DOOM was inspired by Alien and Evil Dead.

I agree the movie was pretty crap. Especially the end sequence where they "tried" to recreate the first person shooter using the camera. LAME.

Quote from: XDelusion;652478
My best experience was hooking my PSX up to the HiFi, putting on huge head phones that blocked out external sound, pulling my recliner up close to the screen, turning out the lights, and playing long hours into the night.

Scared the piss out of me!!!

HAHA! i did this too. I had my ps1 hocked up to my hifi. The plasma gun sounded cool through my 15 inch subwoofer :D

My favourite level on the ps1 version was "sever the wicked" :)
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Tripitaka on August 01, 2011, 12:48:40 PM
The movie was a pile of steaming turd!
The BOARD GAME was.... very good to be honest, it has cool miniatures too. If you look around it's not hard to find either, it's by Fantasy Flight and second hand boxes go for about £60-70.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Hattig on August 01, 2011, 01:35:18 PM
I never got into Doom to be honest, but I liked Quake.

Doom is just Zombie Apocalypse 2 with the added tedium of having to walk around. :-p *runs from the Doom fans*
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: gertsy on August 01, 2011, 02:05:15 PM
Quote from: Kesa;652489
This actually happens to me on a regular basis usually when i play Call of Duty online multiplayer. But it also happened with DOOM too. For me it was the Rocket Launcher i remember the most :)

I think it happens when you play something chaotic for too long :confused:


I remember I nearly passed out once after standing up from my seat after playing a 2-3 hour deathmatch session. Swollen tounge dry mouth.... Okay time for a break now.
I can't remember if it was the game or our rules but the first one to 100 Frags and to click the exit won.  The others would try to stop you so the trick was to have the BFG and fire it just before you went into the exit corridor. We always played a small area map. Tense times.  Quake 2 had me up late mornings as well.
I never played either game from beginning to the end in single player.  I liked playing real people on computer games more.

I did use to marvel at the detail and the art.  That orange sky in Quake II and the landing pods screeming through the air.

Doom 3 I played single player all the way through.  Hard last levels and veddy scary in spots.  As Xdelusion would say... Pee Pee time action...
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: motrucker on August 01, 2011, 02:23:54 PM
Quote from: XDelusion;652478

My best experience was hooking my PSX up to the HiFi, putting on huge head phones that blocked out external sound, pulling my recliner up close to the screen, turning out the lights, and playing long hours into the night.

Scared the piss out of me!!!

I used to do that, except I ran it through my huge speakers (320 watt RMS amp) - used to make the neighbors really hate me, but it was fun.....
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: B00tDisk on August 01, 2011, 04:25:58 PM
Quote from: XDelusion;652478
I should take a photo of my DOOM collection some day, I got novels, minitures, posters, sealed games, giant books on editing, every commercial game based on the engine (which were mostly puzzle/rpg Franko), you name it, massive collection!

DOOM III? What's so Doom about it? Reminded me more of System Shock light. Not DOOM, horrid story (I like the one in the DOOM bible better), but not bad if you just get past the title, though not one of ID's usual works of art. DOOM 4 sounds promising though.

As for the movie... What movie?

Actually DOOM was inspired by Alien and Evil Dead.

My best experience was hooking my PSX up to the HiFi, putting on huge head phones that blocked out external sound, pulling my recliner up close to the screen, turning out the lights, and playing long hours into the night.

Scared the piss out of me!!!


Do you have the Reaper Miniatures 25mm scale DOOM figs?  Including the massive 4" tall cyberdemon and similarly-sized Spider Mastermind?
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: desiv on August 01, 2011, 05:44:23 PM
I'm not a huge FPS fan, but there have been a few I liked, and DOOM was one of them..
It just seemed to be paced well..
Beyond that, I liked some of the funny ones...
Duke Nukem 3D and Redneck Rampage (Hush Puppies!!)...
Tried a few more, but got bored..  Still pull out those three from time to time..
I did try and enjoyed Prey recently..  Loved the voice acting...
But its a genre that I enjoy a few games from.  Unfortunately, everything seems to be that genre now.
I remember I liked Neverwinter Nights, and a friend told me I had to try Oblivian.  So I swing by and he shows me, and it's a First Person game!!  Aarrgh! (OK, I found out later you can do 3rd person, but I like my RPGs top down.. ;-)

desiv
p.s.  You don't know how difficult it was NOT to add "like I like my women" somewhere in that comment above...  ;-)
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: rvo_nl on August 01, 2011, 07:16:01 PM
Quote from: XDelusion;652452
If you were thinking to yourself "gee, I feel like reading a 4000-word Doom level design retrospective on an architecture blog

actually that looks like a fun article. thanks!
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: commodorejohn on August 01, 2011, 07:25:35 PM
Yeah, that was actually a very interesting read. I'm no more than a layman when it comes to architecture, but the guy did a good job of explaining what he was talking about.

I do like the surrealist level designs of DOOM - far more evocative and interesting than your modern shooters where every last one of them is nearly indistinguishable.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 01, 2011, 07:56:12 PM
Quote from: Tripitaka;652496
The movie was a pile of steaming turd!
The BOARD GAME was.... very good to be honest, it has cool miniatures too. If you look around it's not hard to find either, it's by Fantasy Flight and second hand boxes go for about £60-70.


There is an expansion for the board game too.

I had them both, and my X and I spent a lot of time painting the miniatures. Needless to say when we split, I ditched the memories too.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Franko on August 01, 2011, 07:59:49 PM
You lot a are weird... :crazy:
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 01, 2011, 09:10:44 PM
Quote from: B00tDisk;652533
Do you have the Reaper Miniatures 25mm scale DOOM figs?  Including the massive 4" tall cyberdemon and similarly-sized Spider Mastermind?


I have a few, but gave up collecting before I nabbed them all.

Franko: This article is a great read for non-Doomers as well. It's more about art than gameplay really, not to mention a criticism on modern FPS'
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 02, 2011, 06:37:11 AM
The Halls of ID Software: Picture Gallery

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/07/26/from-the-halls-of-id/
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Kesa on August 02, 2011, 08:02:50 AM
HAHA! If Franko does not like first person shooters then why does he have them on his Youtube channel? :confused:

I can't remember what they were. Alien breed 3d? Gloom? Fears?

PS Am i the only one here who thinks Alien Breed 3d is nothing more than a Doom wannabe?
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Franko on August 02, 2011, 09:49:21 AM
Quote from: Kesa;652649
HAHA! If Franko does not like first person shooters then why does he have them on his Youtube channel? :confused:

I can't remember what they were. Alien breed 3d? Gloom? Fears?

PS Am i the only one here who thinks Alien Breed 3d is nothing more than a Doom wannabe?


Cos I put them there for a thread here (which you took part in) last year just to show them running on an A1200 with an 060 board... ;)

I still don't like these type of games as they really all play the same and look the same to me (especially all the modern ones on PC's & consoles), ie: run around shooting and blowing up everything in sight with the odd chance (if your lucky) of finding a hidden location... pretty boring really.. :)
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: AmigaNG on August 02, 2011, 11:20:01 AM
Doom was good when I finally got to play it, but I do think the Amiga clones it spawned where just as good, I loved blowing away the Aliens in Alien Breed 3d and Gloom when you turned the messy version on to see all the body parts bounce around the room and leave it in a mess. Great Fun! So I dont think I missed out too much on not playing Doom until it arrived to the Amiga.

To be honest the first real FPS that left me with a lasting impressive on how good these type of games could be was Half Life.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Linde on August 02, 2011, 12:59:45 PM
Most artefacts that are shown in the article are the result of using some unofficial high-resolution texture pack and the jDoom engine. It could have been more interesting if the author had paid some more attention to the technical details.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 03, 2011, 11:51:41 PM
He pointed this out at the end of the article.

Flaws in the article that only us die hards would notice. :)
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 04, 2011, 12:02:21 AM
Quote from: Franko;652655
Cos I put them there for a thread here (which you took part in) last year just to show them running on an A1200 with an 060 board... ;)

I still don't like these type of games as they really all play the same and look the same to me (especially all the modern ones on PC's & consoles), ie: run around shooting and blowing up everything in sight with the odd chance (if your lucky) of finding a hidden location... pretty boring really.. :)

You have never played through any of the Lovecraftian first person titles, nor the Chronicles of Riddick series, or Breakdown for Xbox Classic, to name a few. Though I agree, most First Person titles are merely run and gun.

Though Half-Life 2 conforms to the basic FPS formula, it really makes it shine. Better than watching a movie infect, MUCH better.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Tripitaka on August 04, 2011, 01:01:52 AM
Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners Of The Earth is an awesome game, keeps pretty true to the mythos. I am a huge Lovecraft fan with a lot of rare Call of Cthulhu RPG books, I make and sell horror props too, like these ones:
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 04, 2011, 02:08:27 AM
Quote from: Tripitaka;652903
Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners Of The Earth is an awesome game, keeps pretty true to the mythos. I am a huge Lovecraft fan with a lot of rare Call of Cthulhu RPG books, I make and sell horror props too, like these ones:

Dark Corners is a fantastic example! There are more listed here elsewhere on another thread. Penumbra and other games made by the same company, etc. Not for the squeamish or for those lacking attention span that's for sure.

I love those things in the jars that you made, very cool!!
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Kesa on August 04, 2011, 02:09:09 AM
Quote from: Tripitaka;652903
Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners Of The Earth is an awesome game, keeps pretty true to the mythos. I am a huge Lovecraft fan with a lot of rare Call of Cthulhu RPG books, I make and sell horror props too, like these ones:

What are those props in the photo?

@everyone. Am i the only one who didn't like multiplayer and instead preferring single player mode? Single player mode just suits my style of gaming. I really like to sneak around corners and sneak up on monsters. I play like a ninja :) whereas multiplayer everyone just runs around crazy in a more 'shoot n run' style of play. run and gun just isn't my style :(
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: commodorejohn on August 04, 2011, 02:28:18 AM
Quote from: Kesa;652917
@everyone. Am i the only one who didn't like multiplayer and instead preferring single player mode? Single player mode just suits my style of gaming. I really like to sneak around corners and sneak up on monsters. I play like a ninja :) whereas multiplayer everyone just runs around crazy in a more 'shoot n run' style of play. run and gun just isn't my style :(
I enjoy a good deathmatch or CTF every now and again, but multiplayer is nothing I'd buy a game for - not when Q3 is open-source and OpenArena provides a free content pack to run with it. That's one other (comparatively minor) complaint I have with modern shooters, they seem to be deciding that since a lot of people buy them primarily for the multiplayer, it's okay to have a single-player mode that's largely an afterthought or straight-up gives the finger to single players >:/
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: F1Lupo on August 04, 2011, 03:05:49 AM
Quote from: NovaCoder;652475
I once played it so much that I could still see it when I closed my eyes to go to sleep....woops.

i hear ya! I was in my last year of University when Doom came out and my buds & I used to play against each other via the computer lab network..one night we played so long that the janitor locked us in the lab by mistake so we just kept playing till 7 am until he opened the doors again...man I can still see the look of shock on that poor mans face when he saw the five of us blood shot eyed zombies staring at him while he was opening up the doors:roflmao:
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 04, 2011, 03:22:31 AM
Quote from: Kesa;652917
What are those props in the photo?

@everyone. Am i the only one who didn't like multiplayer and instead preferring single player mode? Single player mode just suits my style of gaming. I really like to sneak around corners and sneak up on monsters. I play like a ninja :) whereas multiplayer everyone just runs around crazy in a more 'shoot n run' style of play. run and gun just isn't my style :(


I like games that are designed in a way that running and gunning will only get you killed...

Snow-blind was a good example of this. On the other hand, a liitle run and gun can be fun in moderation, which is why we have Doom and Quake. They didn't need to make anymore clones beyond those two as the were perfect at what they did, and didn't stop there as they also featured puzzles and other elements.


As for on-line death matching and the like...


I grew bored of them back in the Quake II era. Give me single player or co-op any day!!!
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Cammy on August 04, 2011, 06:28:06 AM
Although this doesn't have that much to do with the link this topic is referring to, this is something we really could learn from:

DOOM ATTACK SOURCE CODE!!!

http://www.filedropper.com/dasource

(Thanks to Mick for getting ahold of this and releasing it)

After years of thinking it was lost forever, here it is in all its glory, the most highly optimised Amiga source port of Doom in the raw!
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Kesa on August 04, 2011, 09:32:14 AM
Quote from: commodorejohn;652920
I enjoy a good deathmatch or CTF every now and again, but multiplayer is nothing I'd buy a game for - not when Q3 is open-source and OpenArena provides a free content pack to run with it. That's one other (comparatively minor) complaint I have with modern shooters, they seem to be deciding that since a lot of people buy them primarily for the multiplayer, it's okay to have a single-player mode that's largely an afterthought or straight-up gives the finger to single players >:/

Quote from: XDelusion;652926
I like games that are designed in a way that running and gunning will only get you killed...

Snow-blind was a good example of this. On the other hand, a liitle run and gun can be fun in moderation, which is why we have Doom and Quake. They didn't need to make anymore clones beyond those two as the were perfect at what they did, and didn't stop there as they also featured puzzles and other elements.


As for on-line death matching and the like...


I grew bored of them back in the Quake II era. Give me single player or co-op any day!!!

Not that i am against online gaming i just have a problem with Doom and Quake.

I play Call of Duty multiplayer almost everyday. I'm addicted! I like the way COD works in that you can customise your setup depending on your playing style. These are called 'Perks'. I set my up so i make no noise when moving about, silencers on my guns and camouflage to hide from radar. I'm a Ninja! :) Doom just doesn't let you do this  :( I think single player Doom is all about strategy and if you play gun n run style you will not get far. I'm definitely a strategy player.  

I also like the single player mode too. It has a story on COD and i simply love it. But i would definitely buy a game just for the online Deathmatch :)

My idea of multiplayer heaven is this: Free for all mode, ninja setup and gun n running in complete stealth. Nothing beats seeing someone then chasing them until they stop to look around a corner then stabbing them in the back! :lol:

I hate campers though :(
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 06, 2011, 09:26:49 AM
Oh ya, that stuff can be fun, though I still hate the idea of playing Capture the Flag and King of the Hill over and over again. I guess it's why I'm not huge on sports games, then again...

I am a Worms fanatic. Hmmm....

Maybe it's the lack of worms in modern on-line FPS's?

Dunno.

Anyhow, here's another interesting DOOM related item:

http://doom.chaosforge.org/articles/27/doomrl-0993-released
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on August 06, 2011, 01:16:07 PM
And another piece of DOOM source related news.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTc1MQ.

Maybe not our favorite DOOM, but it's certainly got a lot of great MODs, plus it would just be nice to have it on MorphOS, Amiga, and AROS. ;)
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: commodorejohn on August 06, 2011, 03:32:20 PM
Quote from: XDelusion;653344
Oh ya, that stuff can be fun, though I still hate the idea of playing Capture the Flag and King of the Hill over and over again. I guess it's why I'm not huge on sports games, then again...
CTF gets a lot more fun when you've got a good selection of weapons to go with it ;)
Quote
Anyhow, here's another interesting DOOM related item:

http://doom.chaosforge.org/articles/27/doomrl-0993-released
Oh hell yes. DoomRL is quite addictive (even Franko might like it, you have to think and use strategy!) Maybe it's not as in-depth as other roguelikes, but it's still tons of fun.
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: SkidMajor on August 26, 2011, 01:27:29 PM
No, the worst game ever is Doom when it fails to load on my 1200 :)
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on September 03, 2011, 04:20:32 AM
Quote from: SkidMajor;656187
No, the worst game ever is Doom when it fails to load on my 1200 :)


Runs like a wet kitten on mine. What's your set up?

Also, here's a funny DOOM related bit for us non-Germans. :)

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doomworld-news/57009-finally-doom-is-legal-in-germany-now/
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Kesa on September 03, 2011, 04:46:03 AM
Odd that doom was banned in Germany. My friends in Germany get around this by ordering games from the UK :)

Any update on Doom4? It says on Wikipedia October 2011...
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Kesa on September 03, 2011, 04:48:19 AM
PS i'm studying for an exam on monday  :(

Please someone shoot me :quickdraw:
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on September 03, 2011, 05:09:00 AM
Quote from: Kesa;657592
PS i'm studying for an exam on monday  :(

Please someone shoot me :quickdraw:



Can I use my Double Barrel? :)

----DOOM IV-----

According to id Software president Todd Hollenshead, we've still got some waiting to do before we hear any details. "id Tech 5 is the basis for Doom 4, and I guess infer what you will…What we're really focused on is getting Rage out the door. Once we're to that point, then we want to transition to how we're going to present Doom 4, what are the talking points, how do we introduce it. Because that stuff hasn't even been determined yet. We're talking about that internally."

"I know everybody's interested," he said. "I am too."

From: IGN.com
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: Kesa on September 03, 2011, 12:03:03 PM
Quote from: XDelusion;657593

Can I use my Double Barrel? :)

----DOOM IV-----

According to id Software president Todd Hollenshead, we've still got some waiting to do before we hear any details. "id Tech 5 is the basis for Doom 4, and I guess infer what you will…What we're really focused on is getting Rage out the door. Once we're to that point, then we want to transition to how we're going to present Doom 4, what are the talking points, how do we introduce it. Because that stuff hasn't even been determined yet. We're talking about that internally."

"I know everybody's interested," he said. "I am too."

From: IGN.com

I don't know why but this makes me think of charlie riding the atomic bomb.

Damn i was going to post a vid of it but can't find one. Oh well, here's a link:

http://gossipcenter.com/charlie-sheen/video/charlie-sheen-roast-promo#ooid=B5cTVyMjoTyDjBQNyhv6WRJzvW__8pVh
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on October 16, 2011, 07:10:01 PM
Quote from: Cammy;652939
Although this doesn't have that much to do with the link this topic is referring to, this is something we really could learn from:

DOOM ATTACK SOURCE CODE!!!

http://www.filedropper.com/dasource

(Thanks to Mick for getting ahold of this and releasing it)

After years of thinking it was lost forever, here it is in all its glory, the most highly optimised Amiga source port of Doom in the raw!


You know, it was not until this week (all these years later) that I realized how freaking cool Doom Attack is! I never realized that they had included Freelook and Jump support to this port! Absolutely amazing!!!

Now if we could get an optimized port for a certain flicker fixer (ala ADoom), then optimized 600 udders might be able to enjoy this gem as well!
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: commodorejohn on October 16, 2011, 07:46:16 PM
Wonder how long it's going to take them to open-source id Tech 4 now that they've got all this damage control to do on Rage...
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on October 16, 2011, 07:53:34 PM
Dunno, but DOOM 3 sources should be out very soon!
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on November 09, 2011, 01:46:31 PM
A nice balance between DOOM's classic 8-bit look, and some of it's more up to date features.

I can never stress enough how great it would be to have a port of ZDOOM or Odamex! :)

[youtube]bcKYwNlAJwk[/youtube]
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on November 09, 2011, 01:50:33 PM
And for the new release of Modern Warfare 3. ;)

[youtube]QXsgeDZZ05U[/youtube]
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: yssing on November 09, 2011, 03:10:05 PM
got a link to that wad?
Title: Re: Learning from DOOM
Post by: XDelusion on November 09, 2011, 03:26:50 PM
Yep, it's all in the info on the actual Youtube page if you are referring to the Modern Warfare clone.