Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000  (Read 12635 times)

Description:

Offline OlafS3

Re: Registering Interest for AmigaOne X1000
« Reply #119 from previous page: April 03, 2012, 11:48:55 AM »
MorphOS has modern 3D support? Have I missed something?

All camps have strength and weaknesses and none is "unbeatable" with no room for improvement

MorphOS versus Aros:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61247

better to continue there if you like. This thread is (was) about X1000
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:53:33 AM by OlafS3 »

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
Quote from: OlafS3;686742
MorphOS has modern 3D support? Have I missed something?

All camps have strength and weaknesses and none is "unbeatable" with no room for improvement

Am I missing something?
AROS doesn't support the latest 3D GPUs either.
An Nvidia 7600GT (like mine) or a 9600GSO? Sure.
Buy not much higher.

And compared to OS4, both MorphOSand AROS support adequate 3D support.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline OlafS3

« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2012, 11:59:35 AM »
there is a new thread comparing Aros and Morphos:
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61247

the discussion here is off-topic

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;686742
This thread is (was) about X1000

Indeed it is!
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline AmigaNG

• Show only replies by AmigaNG
« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;686738
Instead of making pointless grumpy posts that just increases the noise, why not try to answer the question instead? (Edit) By "recommending getting an old pc and installing Aros on it, not a PowerMac", you are solely focusing on x86 hardware *for the sake of it*, totally neglecting the differences in features of the two OS's, which probably is the most important variable of them all for the user experience and *usability* at all. "An old PC" is hardly any cheaper than an old PowerMac, and if it's the user experience you want (i.e. really being able to *use* it as an Amiga), then MorphOS is the one NG solution that has the most to offer...

So based on this post can you understand why people who are interested in getting an OS4 machine are a bit confused when you recommend a PowerMac on a AmigaOS4 related thread.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:02:16 PM by AmigaNG »

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;686774
So based on this post can you understand why people who are interested in getting an OS4 machine are a bit confused when you recommend a PowerMac on a AmigaOS4 related thread.

Not at all, that was settled in the original post already, everyone really interesting in getting an A1X1K knows exactly how to proceed from reading that single post! ;)

Anyone wanting to *learn more* however, to hear more than a single view on the HW (the "impartial" view of the seller), etc, is free to proceed reading the rest of the thread. And since $3,000 is far from a trivial amount of money, I think it's only fair to (as a complement) point out what you can actually get as an *alternative*, i.e. a system with roughly the same performance, running an OS with more and better features, better Amiga compatibility, higher stability, etc, for 1/30th of the asking price in the original post. It's a free world, if you absolutely want an A1X1K and have a pile of money that you stumble upon every time you walk into the kitchen, then there is nothing stopping you. But *maybe* you'll rethink and chose the other way, ending up with a *more competent* system overall, while still having some $2,800 left in the bank (depending on how much you "pimp" the HW)? I can think of *many* ways to use some left-over $2,800 personally, as I think most people can...

I get it that you don't like this, you have made it more than obvious...
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »
Quote from: AmigaNG;686774

Actually, that makes sense to me.
It would make more sense to reference Transitions offer on AmigaOne XE systems.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline klx300r

• Amiga 1000+AmigaOne X1000
    • Show only replies by klx300r
    • http://mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2012, 03:05:49 PM »
@ mods/ Transition

time to close this thread & stop posting OS4.1 news from amigans and amigaworld if you constantly allow this crap to get out of hand

@ mikeymike

thanks for the effort & just a reminder:
    Quote:
                                                      Originally Posted by mikeymike                             
             ....  I'm trying to figure out why  you care so much that you regularly have to come here and troll, because  that's what you're doing.  Having said that, I think it's more likely  that you simply do it for your own amusement, hence your "who knows, who  cares" comment.

:drink:  mate I think you better save this response as you can save time by  cutting & pasting it into EVERY single OS4.x related thread on this  site.                                                                                          __________________

@ usual suspects

good job but you were slow to start this one. I'm expecting quicker service on the next OS4.x thread or you'll start losing troll cred:roflmao:
--- www.mancave-ramblings.blogspot.ca ---
  -AspireOS.com & Amikit- Amiga for your netbook-
***X1000- I BELIEVE *** :angel:

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2012, 03:05:52 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;686779
Actually, that makes sense to me.
It would make more sense to reference Transitions offer on AmigaOne XE systems.
what offer are you referring to? i must have missed that one.

edit: never mind. found it. thanks.

-- eliyahu
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:13:53 PM by eliyahu »
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;686777
i.e. a system with roughly the same performance, running an OS with more and better features, better Amiga compatibility, higher stability, etc, for 1/30th of the asking price in the original post.

Either you are VERY BAD at mathematics or you talk about MacOS X, which comes for free with PowerMacs.

According to MorphOS Help Desk, MorphOS keyfile is currently available at an price of 111.11 EUR (includes 19% VAT).
Googling todays (as Piru loves to use Google) EUR/USD conversion - 111.11 Euros = 147.94 USD.

So with 3000 USD, you can buy - 3000/147,94 - 20,27 MOS licenses (assuming you get the hardware for free).

So, your arithmetics are wrong and fabricated as usual, but this is nothing new in the MOS propaganda that floods the site all day long.

With X1000 you receive bundled copy of AmigaOS 4.1 - worth 124.95 Euro including VAT, and you are entitled for free copy of AmigaOS 4.2 when it arrives.
On top of that AmigaOS 4.1 comes in professional made box on labeled CD (something called collector's item for people like me who have all public AmigaOS versions on original disks, along with manuals, so it's worth for me).

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;686744
Am I missing something?
AROS doesn't support the latest 3D GPUs either.
An Nvidia 7600GT (like mine) or a 9600GSO? Sure.
Buy not much higher.

And compared to OS4, both MorphOSand AROS support adequate 3D support.

AROS works fine with up to gf5x0. My gtx570 worked in my AROS box when I had it (although more often as not performance wasnt as good as with the 9600gt that was the main card I used). Quality of 3d isnt soley dictated by cards supported either. The underlying subsystem plays a big part too.
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline eliyahu

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by eliyahu
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »
Quote from: drHirudo;686794
Either you are VERY BAD at mathematics or you talk about MacOS X, which comes for free with PowerMacs.

According to MorphOS Help Desk, MorphOS keyfile is currently available at an price of 111.11 EUR (includes 19% VAT).
Googling todays (as Piru loves to use Google) EUR/USD conversion - 111.11 Euros = 147.94 USD.

So with 3000 USD, you can buy - 3000/147,94 - 20,27 MOS licenses (assuming you get the hardware for free).

So, your arithmetics are wrong and fabricated as usual, but this is nothing new in the MOS propaganda that floods the site all day long.

With X1000 you receive bundled copy of AmigaOS 4.1 - worth 124.95 Euro including VAT, and you are entitled for free copy of AmigaOS 4.2 when it arrives.
On top of that AmigaOS 4.1 comes in professional made box on labeled CD (something called collector's item for people like me who have all public AmigaOS versions on original disks, along with manuals, so it's worth for me).
just FYI, at least with the 'first contact' systems, you had to purchase the OS license additionally. the free copy of OS4 is the copy of OS4.2 when it ships.

-- eliyahu
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here."

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2012, 03:21:29 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;686733
Yeah, it's always this "is yet to be used", "might", "future", yada, yada. Anyone knowing Hyperion, should really know by now that they love to sell unhatched chickens with great promises, long before the chickens are hatched. Sometimes it turns out in the end that the eggs never was laid, and never will be. Was the Micro A1 GX ever sorted out/fully supported?
Will you *never* learn I ask myself?

original A1 board was supported including Altivec, only some problems with really defective USB I believe, but PCI cards with USB got full support. SAM 440 is fully supported by now (incl. FPGA) and only sadly SAM 460 support is lacking now. Yes, USB 2.0 took ages and didn`t give real fast results, it even took time to reach stability with update 4.
There are lot of things to be angry for (e.g. SAM 460 still having beta SATA, sound and RadeonHD with no 3D) but its also clear to see AmigaOS got more development, team leader, beta testing, website, forum etc. in last two years then ever before.

If there would be no SMP and 3D as well as other optimizations and drivers expected out of AmigaOS 4.2, there would be no need for X1000 at all. Single core G4 or AMCC 460 would be enough. I understand the frustration of releasing hardware first and then finalizing the drivers later, agreed I like the MorphOS approach of testing hardware and developing drivers first and then making public appearance. But there are no doubts X1000 (and SAM 460) drivers will be developed in time, assumingly with some driver release for OS 4.1 users and with initial OS 4.2

If there were no PCI-E PPC Amigas like SAM 460 and X1000 RadeonHD driver would not make much sense. MOS team builds only MorphOS and yet is late with MorphOS 3, while Hyperion does support and bugfixing of current AmigaOS 4.1, development of new features of OS 4.2 and Timberwolf simultaneously. Would love to see them throwing

All in one, nevermind the price, X1000 is attractive hardware for PPC Linux and AROS and should really drive AmigaOS 4 forward. Should be hardware viable for some MorphOS 3.x update - who has money to buy X1000 might have interest in paying 100 euros for "AmigaOS done well" IF it would fully support X1000 hardware. There is a place for MOS team to compete, and I am sure Trevor would donate a board for developers.

Any set dates for MorphOS 3? (none for OS 4.2)

So instead of attacking its price / performance side, use it to your best interest.

Surely there will be some solution for SMP in both MorphOS and AmigaOS 4.x. It might make 68k compatibility go away, but since such hardware as SAM 460, MacMini or X1000 should run 68k software well with JIT - that could not be a shame, but way forward. Before X1000 there was no need to consider it at all.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:25:28 PM by vox »
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline number6

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2012, 03:24:41 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;686733
Yeah, it's always this "is yet to be used", "might", "future", yada, yada. Anyone knowing Hyperion, should really know by now that they love to sell unhatched chickens with great promises, long before the chickens are hatched. Sometimes it turns out in the end that the eggs never was laid, and never will be. Was the Micro A1 GX ever sorted out/fully supported?

Yes. 7 years ago.
Regardless, give credit to Eyetech on that one. They "supplied" the problem to Hyperion because they had no more supply of FX CPUs. Heh.

Offline Fab

• Show only replies by Fab
« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »
Quote from: vox;686801

MOS team builds only MorphOS and yet is late with MorphOS 3, while Hyperion does support and bugfixing of current AmigaOS 4.1, development of new features of OS 4.2 and Timberwolf simultaneously. Would love to see them throwing

If you go that way, MorphOS team also bugfixed 2.x and developped 3.x at the same time. Many of the developers of MorphOS team (including myself) have "pet" projects/applications beyond the core of MorphOS (that sometimes get integrated to MorphOS, course). And actually, Odyssey is part of MorphOS distribution.

Surely there will be some solution for SMP in both MorphOS and AmigaOS 4.x. It might make 68k compatibility go away, but since such hardware as SAM 460, MacMini or X1000 should run 68k software well with JIT - that could not be a shame, but way forward. Before X1000 there was no need to consider it at all.

If 68k compatibility has to be dropped, then going x86 is a much better solution, don't you think?

As for SMP, assuming it would be possible without breaking everything and/or having bad performance, MorphOS would also have another potential target with the dual G4 boards for PowerMacs, or the dual/quad G5s.

Offline drHirudo

• Show only replies by drHirudo
    • http://hirudov.com
« Reply #134 on: April 03, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »
Quote from: Fab;686806
snip

Haha, this thread wouldn't have been complete if Fab didn't join talking about the OWB and how advanced it is.

I hope OWB is not the reason for MorphOS 3 not being out yet.

Just like TimberWolf is not the reason for AmigaOS 4.2 is not out yet.