Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: HxC Floppy emulator on an A500 and v1.3 Kick Questions....  (Read 2092 times)

Description:

Offline zektorTopic starter

• Show only replies by zektor
HxC Floppy emulator on an A500 and v1.3 Kick Questions....
« on: March 21, 2009, 02:06:06 PM »
I ordered a floppy emulator board about a week or so ago and while it has yet to arrive, I have been thinking of what the optimal way to hook it up should be.

I got word that the emulator will work when incased in a floppy drive enclosure and hooked to the Amiga's floppy port. I figured "great!" as this would be a graceful way of hooking it up without having to remove my internal Amiga 500 floppy drive.

I have a 3.1 rom installed on the A500, which of course everybody knows I am sure that it has the functionality of allowing floppies to boot from an external drive. So, when I mount an ADF to the HxC installed to DF1:, it'll boot.

BUT, what about games that require 1.3 rom? I have been using real floppies up until this point of course, and have been using Relokick to kick the machine into 1.3 to load those games and programs....which appear to be quite a few.

If I were to load Relokick with the floppy emulator on DF1:, upon reboot the system would only be able to boot from DF0: (1.3 limitation). In other words, I would be able to "get" to 1.3, but from there I would not be able to boot the game that requires 1.3 from the emulator on DF1:

Would there be any way that you can think of around this other than simply biting the bullet and installing the floppy emulator inside of the Amiga 500?

Offline jupo42

• Show only replies by jupo42
    • http://jupo42.livejournal.com
Re: HxC Floppy emulator on an A500 and v1.3 Kick Questions....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 04:37:20 PM »
I have an ICD ShuffleBoard that I got in an A500 with an AdSpeed/IDE. I'm setting the AdSpeed/IDE to use a CF card rather than a physical harddrive, so I won't need the ShuffleBoard anymore.

There are jumpers on the board, it looks like it might be possible to hook a switch up to enable/disable the DF0/DF1 swap. I don't have the manual and the host system is in pieces, so I can't be sure. If so, it still means cracking the case open, but leaves you with a real working floppy in the system too.

If you're interested, I can juggle spare parts and do some testing.

-Justin
A3000 - 030/25, Toaster, ??? - rebuild in process
2x A2000 being cannibalized and rebuilt
A1000 - Rejuvinator, AGA2000, AdSPEED/IDE, 4GB CF HD, 1MB chip, 0.5MB fast, OS3.1

Offline zektorTopic starter

• Show only replies by zektor
Re: HxC Floppy emulator on an A500 and v1.3 Kick Questions....
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:56:06 PM »
I would appreciate that! Pm sent!