Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Multisync or graphics card  (Read 729 times)

Description:

Offline ZeroTopic starter

• Show only replies by Zero
Multisync or graphics card
« on: August 11, 2005, 10:07:47 AM »
Hi all,

I have an A4000/40 with 3.1 ROMs, 2mb Chip,16mb fast and 2mb fast on an CBM A2052, 13GB HD running OS3.9 BBII.

At the moment I have an old 1084S that is working fine and gives a great picture.

I want  upgrade but I am not sure which way to go, either to get a better monitor (Multisync), or get a graphics card and a SVGA monitor.

I have never gone beyond AGA before so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance  :-)
MorphOS G4 Quicksilver MDD

Offline leofoe

• Show only replies by leofoe
Re: Multisync or graphics card
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 10:32:24 AM »
I would choose for a RTG graphics card with a VGA monitor. It is the upgrade that makes your Amiga experience wonderful.
But it also depends on what you use your A4000 for. Of course gaming is not possible unless you leave you 1084 hooked to the RGB port. But everything else is great!

Offline Doppie1200

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 11:36:13 AM »
I don't have any experience with rtg graphic cards.

However I have used a multisync in the past.

It is a great improvent over the 1084. You can use a larger workbench and you can still play games and such software that uses the 15khz modes.

The catch is that when using higher resolution video modes your available chipmem bandwidth will drop.

This is the main reason I got a scandoubler/flickerfixer. (also because you cannot put an graphics card into an A1200 without doing some serious modifications)

A scandoubler/flickerfixer allows you to use the standard interlaced screens (640x512) without the annoying flicker. So you get the larger workbench. And the modes that games use are also doubled. Suddenly your stock VGA becomes a very capable monitor for your Amiga.

Ofcourse this has a downside too. You are stuck with those AGA limitations. 8 bpp workbenches are not really speedy.

So the best option is; A scandoubler in combination with the RTG graphics card.

You'll get best of both worlds! But you will need to do some video signal switching too feed both sources to one monitor.

This option has one mayor drawback.....it is expensive....
Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 11:51:46 AM »
Thanks leofoe & Doppie1200,

I was thinking of going for a multisync, but now I am begining to think that a RTG graphics might be the best idea.

I also want to get my A4000 on my home network and the internet, (once I have sorted the graphics I want to get an network card), so I think the higher res would be a help.

I use my Amiga for music, and more and more for graphics packages.

Since I have had my A4000, (I have been using Amiga since the  late 80's, but only recently got the A4000), I hardly use the PC, apart for the internet.  :-)

Offline zipper

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 12:46:29 PM »

I also want to get my A4000 on my home network and the internet, (once I have sorted the graphics I want to get an network card), so I think the higher res would be a help.

And don't forget the great speedup in screen update as the RTG card does the hard work giving time for AGA chips to do other jobs. The mobo serial port may work at 115200 depending what else you are doing.

Offline PMC

• Show only replies by PMC
    • http://www.b3ta.com
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2005, 12:59:57 PM »
If you're using your Amiga for OS related applciations - ie browsing the net etc then I wholeheartedly recommend getting a GFX card, you won't regret it.

There's the obvious Elbox Mediator & Voodoo choice, which also allows you to fit a Soundblaster, network or even a TV card (the latter can be plumbed in such a way as to display AGA/OCS only software on a SVGA desktop).
Cecilia for President

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 01:26:43 PM »
the moment you install a rtg card and use it 5 minutes, you will begin to wonder how you were using the amiga without one... the difference is HUGE . get rtg.

Offline Ianoakley

• Show only replies by Ianoakley
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 01:50:37 PM »
Multisync monitors are difficult to source and are very expensive. Microvitec still sell a 14" model if you've got £650 spare. Even if you buy second hand no guarantee on repairs.

Scan doublers also hard to find and not always 100% satisfactory - you can get a "sparkly" effect or banding if they play up.

The Mediator card from Elbox is your answer however PCI graphic cards are difficult to get hold off so do your home work first. E Bay is the obvious outlet for these.

If you go down this route don't ditch your 1084S as not everything is compatible with graphics card output and it's difficult to set things up with a black screen !!
Amiga One
Amiga 4000 with Picasso IV graphics card etc
Amiga 4000 with Mediator
A1200 in D Box with blizzard ppc 040/25Mhz and mediatorTX with Radeon graphics card, Abit FM801 soundcard , Spider USB abd NIC card - now running OS4
CD32 with FMV card...

Offline leofoe

• Show only replies by leofoe
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2005, 02:10:11 PM »

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2005, 02:24:13 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their help, shows what a great place amiga.org is  :-)

I have seen Cybervision64/3D going for about £50 on UK ebay as well.

Are there any other native graphics cards I should look for?

I think that RTG Graphics will be the way to go...

Thanks to everybody again  :-D

Offline keropi

• Show only replies by keropi
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2005, 02:36:43 PM »
there is a piccolo SD64 rtg on ebay, get it if u like it, it is a very nice zorroII/III card... I have one my self and it works really really good! and I have only tried it on zorroII... but u'll need a scandoubler/flickerfixer to fully enjoy it :)