Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Man Behind Munich's Migration of 15,000 PCs From Windows To Linux  (Read 1112 times)

Description:

Offline SysAdminTopic starter

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
"It's one of the biggest migrations in the history of Linux, and it made Steve Ballmer very angry: Munich, in southwest Germany, has completed its transition of 15,000 PCs from Windows to Linux. It has saved money, fueled the local economy, and improved security.

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/14/05/09/1233212/the-man-behind-munichs-migration-of-15000-pcs-from-windows-to-linux
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
Heh, funny article. It's supposed to be a parody right?
"Fuelled economy" here simply means, "paid locals to do the work", which ironically cost more than using Windows (according to the article).
Gotta wonder if people read what they write sometimes. They seem so obsessed with their obsessions they miss things they themselves inadvertantly say.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:59:33 PM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline persia

• Show only replies by persia
I worked for a local government in NSW over a decade ago.  I and some of my less Microsoft centric colleagues started a project to evaluate Linux as a possible cost saving measure for Council's use.  Microsoft got wind of it and dropped their price to almost nothing for the next contract.  It killed the project and predictably every new contract with Microsoft after that got more expensive....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What we\'re witnessing is the sad, lonely crowing of that last, doomed cock.

Offline psxphill

Quote from: persia;764157
It killed the project and predictably every new contract with Microsoft after that got more expensive....

You can replace "Microsoft" in that sentence with every single company out there that is trying to make a profit.

If you don't haggle before renewing every single contract you take out then you're not doing your job properly. People are lazy though, especially when it's other peoples money.

Offline orange

• Show only replies by orange
wohooo, go Linux!
Better sorry than worry.