Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga gaming in a retrogaming multiplatform machine inside a C=64  (Read 8837 times)

Description:

Offline RetrofanTopic starter

• Show only replies by Retrofan
Hi:
I've started a new project: a retrogaming multiplatform machine using a Mini ITX and a broken C64, to play Amiga Forever and others.

I'm not sure if I can show it here, but the main emulation will be with Amiga Forever and C64 forever.

It was around two weeks ago that I saw a project of a mini ITX inside an A1200. By now I've got enough parts to show it, but still I will have to wait for more parts. I'm nervous waiting to have all the parts to show it working, but I thought that I don't have to be the only one desperately waiting, and that if I show it here you can be too...:madashell:

Well, first I bought a broken C64, that was worse than expected: very dirty color, broken plastic at the rear part, broken mobo, broken plastic tabs to close it, rusty Commodore logos...

Afortunately I've retrobrighted it, fixed the broken tabs and I had some nice logos.

I know the C64x is something discussed here. This is not the thread to talk about it, but of course I think we can compare them as they are over the same idea. I just will comment that my idea is that I, as only represent myself, I think I can make it for my own, with a broken C64, just like if I were using a keyrah, that I will be using, but instead of leaving the PC outside, I will put it inside it.

I've got to say that I don't think the CUSA one is well designed. I've seen how they are letting the CD in the upper part of the case, and the only way they will be opening the case will be that the Cd is inside the case (well, the original plate of the power switch and the joysticks is inside the case), but I don't like it that way. I've put it from the middle.

The second thing I don't like is that they aren't using that original plate, but they have put there a multicard reader.

The third thing: " A Keyboard Better Than the Original "

.....!  Jojojo... That's just 'cause they can't use the original one. If you want a keyboard better than the original you'll be buying another thing, jejeje.

I've been searching, and by now there isn't any project like this already working (I can be wrong, but I didn't find it), of course neither the CUSA one.

I've done several things in the inside, but I'm still waiting for part for it.

Well, this is my project:

I'm planning to use Windows 7 Ultimate, but will use Aros too and Amiga Forever as a bootable partition.

I'm planning to change the dvd bezel. I've ordered one with white logos.

And this is how it looks inside by now:

I've spent: mini ITX (105,23€), 150 watts Pico PSU (48,37€), 500GB Hard drive (29,99€), internal card reader (0,99€), internal usb-wifi with antenna (0,99€), cd/dvd drive (16,41€), a sata cable (1,35€), and 2Gb Ram (23,90€). Well, all this for 227,23€.

The mobo is an Asus AT5IONT-I with 1,8Ghz

I'm thinking now how in two weeks I can have (IMHO) a better design than the multimillionar CUSA people (if they wish to pay me...).

I'm waiting for the Keyrah still, and that will be a difficult part, as I don't have room where it has to go, but all is fitting in my mind.

The hardest part by now has been to change the height of the original keyboard, as I'm using a similar mini ITX to the Cusa guys one (well it has the same Dual Core 525 Atom processor and NVidia ION2 graphics chipset), and they are using a "modern" IBM keyboard. I had to cut the keyboard plastic supports and glue them in it's sides. I've won around 1,5 cms in height. As you can see, it's closing perfect now (well, I filed the PicoPSU connectors too).

I'm planning to make a vintage Commodore/Amiga tank mouse with freewheel and wireless (donnor ordered from China for 7,68€, free sending and nano usb dongle adapter), although surely will leave the cable just to have it like the original one.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:40:11 AM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline Crom00

• Show only replies by Crom00
Re: Amiga gaming in a retrogaming multiplatform machine inside a C=64
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 12:58:53 AM »
I like it. I see that you currently have the plate on the right side from the original C-64. It would be cool to rework that so that you would ue this space for usb ports or something or run the sata connector to an ESATA connector.
Nice job.

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 01:03:47 AM »
Quote from: Crom00;634601
I like it. I see that you currently have the plate on the right side from the original C-64. It would be cool to rework that so that you would ue this space for usb ports or something or run the sata connector to an ESATA connector.
Nice job.

Thanks. Individual Computers thought it better than I (and CUSA people), making the Keyrah that I'll be installing, with two joysticks, switch for keyboard selection and a USB in the power place in that plate (well, that USB is to connect it, and I don't want it).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:05:11 PM by Retrofan »
A1200, Lateral 32GB CF, internal Dvd, ACA 1230/56 with an MKII Fast ATA at 9,5Mb/s, another A1200 BPPC project in progress (more or less), and posting from my own/better C64x in my Tv using Hdmi.

Offline A1260

• Show only replies by A1260
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:07:09 AM by A1260 »

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 02:22:38 AM »
Quote from: A1260;634608
@retrofan, well your not alone found these while googling..

http://commodore64.se/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5751
http://stiggyblog.wordpress.com/2010/10/10/commodore-c64-itx-pc-%E2%80%93-part-vii-%E2%80%98finished%E2%80%99/
http://mini-itx.com/projects/c64/

Thanks. Really very, very interesting projects... . I liked the third one too, but... "so a few things have been added on the to-do list:
- Getting the keyboard to function. I tried squeezing the standard PS2 foil in the keyboard but with limited success and destroying the original wiring"

¿¿¿???

Any finished project anywhere?

EDIT:Oh, the second link you gave is finished, I didn't see it. Very interesting.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 06:07:05 PM by Retrofan »

Offline tone007

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 02:25:53 AM »
I did one once a couple of years ago, I had to do the same thing and raise the keyboard to make room.  Ultimately, I disassembled it because the motherboard I had was too underpowered, VIA EPIA 800MHz, and used the C64 case in a different project.  Mine didn't look nearly as solid as yours internally.
3 Commodore file cabinets, 2 Commodore USB turntables, 1 AmigaWorld beer mug
Alienware M14x i7 laptop running AmigaForever

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 02:47:55 AM »
Quote from: tone007;634611
....and used the C64 case in a different project. Mine didn't look nearly as solid as yours internally.

Thanks. What project? Any link?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 02:58:42 AM by Retrofan »

Offline tone007

Amiga gaming in a retrogaming multiplatform machine inside a C=64
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 01:07:43 PM »
http://cbmvax.com/jungle/laptop/laptop.htm

This has also since been disassembled.

Offline dammy

• Show only replies by dammy
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 01:23:10 PM »
Quote from: Retrofan
The third thing: " A Keyboard Better Than the Original "

.....!  Jojojo... That's just 'cause they can't use the original one. If you want a keyboard better than the original you'll be buying another thing, jejeje.

I would wait and compare the C=USA C64x's keyboard before dismissing it.  Theirs is a custom designed and built keyboard to the original C64's standards which is hideously expensive as far as OEM costs are concerned.  Which mobo did you use, btw?

Edit: NVM, I see the link at the bottom now.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:56:52 PM by dammy »
Dammy

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arix-OS/414578091930728
Unless otherwise noted, I speak only for myself.

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 02:49:20 PM »
@Retrofan
Hey, nice project.
I'm glad we're not alone in thinking this concept is cool.

I've got to say that I don't think the CUSA one is well designed.

Well, of course you're entitled to your opinion. I think people will be pleasantly surprised when they open our unit up and see how everything is laid out and connected....although, to be honest, I wouldn't recommend it as you'd be breaking warranty. You'll probably have to wait until the unit reviews come out for more detail, or our upcoming video in a couple of weeks time.

I've seen how they are letting the CD in the upper part of the case.

It works fine....We'll probably also create a half height keyboard with the same specs also.

" A Keyboard Better Than the Original ".....! Jojojo... That's just 'cause they can't use the original one.

TBH the original keyboard wasn't that great. It's pretty hard to beat the feel of Cherry switch keys on our unit.
Not to mention the obvious fact that our keyboard will enable normal pc operation without compromise.

I don't know about you, but it's easier to find USB joysticks these days then the old ones. I've got a stack of broken ones at home. We'll also be selling digital joysticks quite soon as well.

You've definitely picked a nice board. May I ask where the power supply is located?

I'm very interested to see how this turns out.
Good luck with it.

Whatever happened to the guy doing the mini-ITX A600 a while back?

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »
@tone007
Awesome laptop man!!!. The disk drive location is perfect!.*
Do you have it still working, or you dismantled it?. It really looks good by my taste.
:)
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline pwermonger

• Show only replies by pwermonger
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 03:44:28 PM »
Cusa has a different design requirement hence a different design.

This looks good but I don't think there is room there for the Keyrah (I could be wrong though). You probably should have used a 2.5" hard drive so you could move the MB a bit to the left giving more room.

CUSA is trying to make a product they can sell in quantity which rules out reusing existing C64 keyboards, cases to reduce costs. They simply are a finite quantity that you can't guarantee numbers using to base a sellable product on.The use of their own keyboard also means no need to leave room for keyrah in there which helps in their layout.  For one-offs though, they are a good choice for a hobbyist making a small computer project.

Both designs have merits.

Offline tone007

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 04:35:51 PM »
Quote from: BigBenAussie;634677
May I ask where the power supply is located?

CTO can't spot a PicoPSU! Ha!

Quote from: _ThEcRoW;634685
Do you have it still working, or you dismantled it?. It really looks good by my taste.
:)

It's in pieces right now, I haven't been inspired to get it back together.  It's a little too heavy to be convenient.

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 04:49:57 PM »
@tone007
No need to be rude.
To be honest I didn't look too hard, and I guess that's what I get for posting at 2am.  ;-)
But thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 04:57:43 PM by BigBenAussie »

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 05:10:40 PM »
I've been thinking how to make the power on button, and I've just done this, that will go in the original plate where says "power". Yes, the socket connector for the Psu is now a button:

The mobo model is in the first post.

A keyboard better than the original is something relative. I don't want a better keyboard. I want the same keyboard.

Still I haven't thought about the PSU, it's a 150watts one that came with a Pico Psu kit. If it doesn't fit inside a C= one I think I will leave it as is; anyway you don't pay much attention to it.

When I talk about the position of the cd in the CUSA one

is that it seems to be not from the middle, but above it. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's just the photo, because if it's above, it would be very difficult to open the case.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 05:25:40 PM by Retrofan »