Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Turrican collection on PS4/Nintendo Switch  (Read 2731 times)

Description:

Offline NinjaCyborgTopic starter

Turrican collection on PS4/Nintendo Switch
« on: February 02, 2021, 01:40:28 PM »
I assume they are using UAE as the core of the Amiga versions emulation. Because there's no other way to do it. Which also means, GPL license for the emulation engine at least. Anyone know if they were kind enough to make a donation to any of the UAE devs? Or if they have paid for the amiga ROM license (or were otherwise able to use an AROS ROM or something).

Offline Pat the Cat

Re: Turrican collection on PS4/Nintendo Switch
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 12:13:25 AM »
Turrican did not lead on the Amiga, no reason why they have to use WinUAE,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turrican

The processor in a Nintendo switch is ARM based, not x86. Even less reason to use WinUAE.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra

EDIT: My bad, you did say UAE, not WinUAE in particular.

Because there's no other way to do it.

Not true. Ports do not require emulators.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:32:28 AM by Pat the Cat »
"To recurse is human. To iterate, divine."

A1200, Vanilla, Surf Squirrel, SD Card, KS 3.0/3.z, PCMCIA dev
A500, Vanilla, A570, Rev 5, KS 1.2/1.3 Testbench system
Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 01:46:51 AM »
Couple other points even if you are correct - did the UAE authors ever seek permission to use Motorola/Freescale and CBM intellectual property, 68K and Amiga custom chips?

I don't think original Gnu license covers derivative works either. UAE was invented long before GPL V3.

Rasp Pi, UAE4ARM, 3D laser scanner, experimental, hoping for AmigaOS4Arm, based on Watterott Fabscan Pi

Offline NinjaCyborgTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 08:51:55 AM »
LOL, you obviously don't understand how intellectual property works. UAE reimplements everything from scratch therefore they don't need anyone's permission. They don't need permission for anything except perhaps to use the name 'Amiga' which they don't. Neither does AROS. Oracle spent millions trying to sue Google for reimplementing Java from scratch in Dalvik/Android, and they lost.

It's not a port, Ratalaika and Factor 5 say it's running under emulation in the many interviews they've done. So either they've written their own amiga emulator from scratch in less than 2 years for one game only, or they're using UAE.

UAE runs on ARM processors. Jesus christ, please don't comment if you're just going to make a fool of yourself.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 08:53:44 AM by NinjaCyborg »

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 08:34:09 PM »
<shrug> I'm not the one saying emulator creators have IP rights. You are.

I'm also not the one suggesting every Amiga port ever needed an emulator.

But, seeing as you don't like my comments, just pop me on your block list and you'll never hear from me again. Easily sorted.

Offline Pat the Cat

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 03:36:50 AM »
Oracle spent millions trying to sue Google for reimplementing Java from scratch in Dalvik/Android, and they lost.

I checked, case is still ongoing at the supreme court. Google have NOT won yet. Indeed, they were the ones who had to go the supreme court to save their corporate behind.

Their problem is, they've already admitted plagiarising the code in early versions of Android. Later versions didn't use Java. Why change course if you're in the right?