Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The main advantages of the Pegasos to the average user:  (Read 4188 times)

Description:

Offline iamaboringpersonTopic starter

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
The main advantages of the Pegasos to the average user:
« on: August 16, 2003, 10:03:29 AM »
So what would a potential - especialy first time - computer buyer want with a system like a pegasos?
What I mean is that since the aim seems to be for a more than just a nerds toy, what else will there be that will interest a wider range of customers?
If the average person wants word-processing and email, the Pegasos would surely deliver, but what would make people choose it rather than Windows/x86?

Offline n-ary

• Show only replies by n-ary
Re: The main advantages of the Pegasos to the average user:
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2003, 12:32:45 PM »
"So what would a potential - especialy first time - computer buyer want with a system like a pegasos?"

Something we all want - something that works!

IMO, it's plain ridiculous how people are now forced to use heavy maintenance Windows systems just to get access to simple word processing and net applications.

..and then newcomers are slowly educated to believe that is computing at its best. Nothing less than intolerable!

Offline Cymric

• Show only replies by Cymric
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 01:04:08 PM »
What would make people choose the Pegasos over a standard Wintel-box? Near inherent protection from viruses and worms, perhaps a little more stable, although I have heard good stories about XP and 2000. (That's hearsay, I'm sure you all know a friend who cursed said OSes from here to Hell and back.) That's about the only things it has going over Wintel. As for the rest: no wide selection of (lots of illegal) games, very little support for hardware which you can buy cheaply at the local store, no wide range of applications.

It *is* a nerd's toy, and never will be more than that, unless you have billions of dollars in your development and marketing bank accounts. Making it appear something which it isn't is a waste of time, money, and effort. That said, it is a pretty cool nerd's toy, though... ;-).
Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil and cruel. True, and they have many other fine qualities as well.

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2003, 01:10:32 PM »
To the average Joe? That doesn' even know what a respondsive sleek and sexy OS is? Hmm... none? Ok, maybe booting time, and maybe the fact that it exposes the user to computing stuff that he would run away from if in a PC. Well I'm assuming MOS is like AOS, cuase I realy haven't used it. Same for A1, few advantages for the average Joe.
Hey, there is one BIG advantage. Not supporting the current PC market that is an ultrage to "real computing", it really kills any decent alternative that could exist, except Linux.

[EDIT] But then the average Joe is not an idealist, he buys the cheaper "more appeaing" stuff....

\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline KennyR

• Show only replies by KennyR
    • http://wrongpla.net
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2003, 01:16:29 PM »
Physically speaking, the Pegasos is quiet, runs very cool, and offers a much better motherboard for special applications than any x86 board does. For example, if you wanted to build a hardware router, you could use Debian on a Pegasos and have a totally quiet machine, use NetBSD on a cut down 486 and have a totally quiet but slow as hell machine useless for most modern apps, or finally use a modern PC and have something that sounds like a chainsaw and makes the room 5C hotter. Imagine running that 24/7!

MOS itself is just a pleasant alternative to AmigaOS, it's not aimed at other markets, and will probably only appeal to Amiga users. MOS is being used to sell Pegasos to the Amiga market. It's expandable and may be a great OS one day, but one shouldn't think its the only (or even major) selling point for the Pegasos.

And there is always MOL for those who want to get an Apple Mac for less than £2500...

Offline Wolfe

• Show only replies by Wolfe
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2003, 01:21:59 PM »
A Lower Price would be a great place to start if you are going to attrack the average joe away from the PeeCee world.  As long as the price is high you will only get the Geeks, Nerds and electro-condriacs who have to own everything techno.
Avatar Babe:  Monica Bellucci  -    :love:

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2003, 01:22:47 PM »

n-ary wrote:
"So what would a potential - especialy first time - computer buyer want with a system like a pegasos?"

Something we all want - something that works!

IMO, it's plain ridiculous how people are now forced to use heavy maintenance Windows systems just to get access to simple word processing and net applications.

..and then newcomers are slowly educated to believe that is computing at its best. Nothing less than intolerable!

LOL!  I sometimes wonder if people engage their brain before posting stuff like this.

(a) - If you're only doing word processing and browsing, Windows systems are not high maintenance.  It's only when you start trying to do interesting stuff on it that the maintenance cost rockets.

(b) - Pegasos/MorphOS will not qualify for the "it just works" accolade until the quality and range of software available for it matches or exceeds that expected as minimal on higher availability platforms like Windows, Linux and MacOS X.  There's not much attraction for people who just want to word process and browse the Internet if you don't have a top quality office suite or browser.

I too am curious as to what the answer to the question posed in this thread is. I've asked the same question for at least a couple of years now, and haven't heard a single compelling reason in all that time.
Bill Hoggett

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2003, 02:05:29 PM »
@KennyR

Physically speaking, the Pegasos is quiet, runs very cool, and offers a much better motherboard for special applications than any x86 board does. For example, if you wanted to build a hardware router, you could use Debian on a Pegasos and have a totally quiet machine, use NetBSD on a cut down 486 and have a totally quiet but slow as hell machine useless for most modern apps, or finally use a modern PC and have something that sounds like a chainsaw and makes the room 5C hotter. Imagine running that 24/7!

If you're just building a router, it doesn't need to be all that fast, so the cut-down 486 would do just fine.  If you want something a bit faster but quiet, a VIA Epia board will do the job at a fraction of the price of a Pegasos. Noise and temperature are good qualities for the Pegasos, but hardly a compelling reason to buy one.
Bill Hoggett

Offline spihunter

• Show only replies by spihunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2003, 02:36:07 PM »
The average user wants:

-Web browser
-email
-office apps (word,exel,quicken)
-mp3/CD player
-average games
-basic picture/video editing
-easy installer for everthing
-easy to use OS

The Peg fills about half of these demands so far, but hey they said themselves that its currently a geek toy. :-D

Offline anarchic_teapot

• Show only replies by anarchic_teapot
    • http://anarchic-teapot.net
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2003, 03:02:48 PM »
KennyR wrote:

And there is always MOL for those who want to get an Apple Mac for less than £2500...

The cheapest eMac starts at £649, and that's with a G4@800.
Hardly worth buying a Pegasos just to run MOL in such circumstances, is it?

In fact, you don't want people to buy a PPC mobo as an ersatz Mac - Apple only tolerate MOL for now because it runs almost exclusively on Macs anyway. They make their money from the hardware - hence the abrupt termination of the Mac clone experiment some years back. They really wouldn't look kindly on someone trying to horn into the market unofficially.
AT

Offline downix

• Show only replies by downix
    • http://www.applemonthly.com
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2003, 04:42:53 PM »
Good question.  I see most of the answers are missing the point here.  The Pegasos offers no more to joe-user as would any computer motherboard, it's just a flat board with bits on it and they don't know what to do with it. No difference, they wouldn't grasp what a Pegasos is vs. an EPoX AMD this way.

But, the Pegasos is not intended to be sold to joe-user, well, not directly anyways.  Welcome to the wild world of OEM's.  What you can use the Pegasos for is as limited as the OEM's imagination.

Try blazedmongers new Free Universal Computer kit, available with the GUI toolkit Your Own Universe, the popular IT edition, Extremely Reliable System for embedded work, Enhanced Database development and Wide Area Development system for telecommuting.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2003, 05:34:08 PM »
It is my opinion that the current MOS 1.4 needs the TCP/IP stack completely integrated with GUI and it is ready for "Joe Average". This is with a turn-key type solution of course, with everything installed like YAM and Ibrowse (Voyager is the fastest Browser but still buggy) It seems that most average computer users just need to get email, go online and surf, and play media. What is lacking and will be impossible to overcome is Streaming Video like Real Networks and M$ crap. With the port of mplayer to MOS it should give us DVD playback which is essential as well. There are lots of native apps coming down the pipeline as well. We also need the BurnIt Pro for MOS we keep hearing about with DVD burning support. Gaming is crucial as well, so we need native MOS games that are cool and unlike all the FPS crap on PCs! With all these elements in place the Peg/MOS is a great alternative system for people. Alot of consumers dont even care (or know) what OS they are running just that "it works"

Keep it up Genesi
The Revolution has Begun
magnetic
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline DaveC

• Show only replies by DaveC
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2003, 05:42:48 PM »

The correct answer is "why not?"  :-)  

But, do you mean MorphOS on the Pegasos, Linux, AROS, or some other OS that runs (or will run in the future) on the Pegasos?  The specific bits of the question seem to be geared towards MorphOS not the Pegasos.  Remember, you can run Linux on a beefy A1200 for a completely different computer :-D

Offline greenboy

• Show only replies by greenboy
    • http://PhiNiXi.com
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2003, 05:47:53 PM »
Right now I am waiting for the band to show up for practice so I don't have time to read all the replies here. But what I've wanted first and foremost is a replacement for my dead Amigas - and I've gotten that and more!

Another aspect of my interest is that I wanted to see the trail become a little more of a road again, so I've stayed involved in spite of how easy it would be to just use Windows and forget about all those good times I had in the past. I want to help the good times roll again, for others too...

That means improvements and additions - and pressing myself and others to thinking more like innovators and inventors, as well as imitating where it is needed so that the system fulfills what are considered all the basic functions these days with less effort.

We'll see. Some of us have kept trying, and the efforts are paying off; others are joining us and I've been privileged to see some mighty big grins (and used the grimaces as feedback, knowing that people want the experience to be more wide and current).
<-- greenboy ---<<<<

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2003, 06:10:34 PM »
I don´t think the Pegasos is aimed at the average customer. Hasn´t they said  repeatedly that it´s aimed at developers, powerusers and as a geektoy.
It´s the STB that aimed at consumers.
Perhaps the question should be why would an nondeveloper and nonamigauser get a Pegasos?
Linux?
I don´t think so, the VIA miniitx boards are cheaper if you want just a cool and quiet linuxbox.
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!