Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amithlon - Anything Happening?  (Read 4548 times)

Description:

Offline bhoggett

• Show only replies by bhoggett
    • http://www.midnightmu.com
Re: Amithlon - Anything Happening?
« Reply #14 from previous page: November 10, 2002, 07:25:30 PM »
@ne_one wrote:

Have you been in contact with Bernie at all?

Yes.

I suspect that after having gone through this whole fiasco he probably would prefer to ditch the whole thing.

No comment.

I can't imagine what the P96 team could possibly want. Is it a royalty issue (on a 6 year old product no less) or a personal bone they have to pick? One thing is for certain... you need a thick skin to attempt to do anything productive in this market. Being thickheaded apparently is a prerequisite for most too.

I wouldn't throw too much blame on the P96 guys. Like I said, there have been external influences working towards preventing the release of "v2", and the P96 guys are victims too.
I can't imagine why Hyperion would care either. Given Amiga's interest in maintaining the product why woudn't they just take over distribution and win both ways? For that matter the work on Amithlon could contribute greatly to an x86 version of the OS -- if and when that ever materializes.

No comment again. There may be grounds for speculation, but it's not a good time to do so.
Bill Hoggett

Offline takemehomegrandma

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2002, 08:33:59 PM »
@bhoggett:

Negotiations with P96 then went on for months, often hindered by external influences I don't want to comment on (but which should be easy enough to guess).

Would it be possible to use, say, CGX instead?
MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2002, 08:45:38 PM »

takemehomegrandma wrote:

Would it be possible to use, say, CGX instead?

I don't know. There would probably be lots of issues both technical and political to get round, and I suspect it would require a fair amount of reworking.

It's a moot point anyway, because there's no reason to think that the same obstacles that have been put in the way of the P96 team wouldn't be put in from of the CGX team.

Considering the sort of #### thrown at anyone who appears willing to work with Bernie, I doubt that there are many people who would want to risk being caught up in this mess, or make themselves targets to threats and abuse.
Bill Hoggett

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2002, 09:00:14 PM »
"Considering the sort of #### thrown at anyone who appears willing to work with Bernie, I doubt that there are many people who would want to risk being caught up in this mess, or make themselves targets to threats and abuse. "

Well theres got to be plenty of talented Amigans out
there reading this who now want to pitch in and
stuff the consequences.

Bill, give them a shopping list of whats needed and
lets see if we cant get this community moving on
helping Bernie out.

Offline ne_one

• Show only replies by ne_one
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2002, 09:17:39 PM »
@bhoggett

"I suspect that after having gone through this whole fiasco he probably would prefer to ditch the whole thing."

>No comment.

That pretty much says it all. Please give him our regards. We can't imagine what he has had to endure but obviously quite a few people have a practical and personal interest in his well being. Hopefully Bernie has been sidetracked rather than demotivated.

Most of us would really like to better understand the situation, but appreciate that it would compromise the integrity of any legal wranglings. Obviously we all know someone is accountable.

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2002, 09:27:11 PM »
Yeah

Good work Bernie.

Too bad folks can't work together anymore.
Hope you get well.

Anything to say for yourself Haage?
Partner?

Hmmm?

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2002, 09:27:30 PM »
Yeah- Meyer deserves some respect instead of all those bastards attacking him at every single angle,

Amithlon is a superb product which deserves amigans support instead of all that "It will cause more amiga piracy" "Emulation will kill the amiga" "Amithlon is aimed at pirates" crap,

to end this, Send Meyer a christmas card  :-)

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2002, 11:05:06 PM »
@All

Thanks for the words of support. I'll make sure Bernie gets to hear about them.

Sadly I think we're beyond the point where the community can help at all - unless someone wants to cough up enough cash to sue the responsible parties back to the stone age. (That's a joke, BTW. Just about...)

It is still possible that we won't be faced with the worst case scenario - but it's out of our hands and I'm not overly optimistic. I guess we'll just have to put it down to the Amiga community's self-destructive tendency, and see it as another proof of the utter incompetence and corruption that pervades certain parts of the upper echelons of the Amiga hierarchy.

On the up side, if it does come to the worst, there will be plenty to talk about as details of what's been going on become public knowledge.
Bill Hoggett

Offline The_Editor

• Show only replies by The_Editor
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2002, 11:08:49 PM »
BHoggett said:
I guess we'll just have to put it down to the Amiga community's self-destructive tendency,

Well I'm willing to chip in a tenner towards any "legal" costs to get Bernithlon released.
The Reluctant Pom

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2002, 11:19:58 PM »
@the_editor

"Well I'm willing to chip in a tenner towards any "legal" costs to get Bernithlon released."

You're a good guy, Editor.  I'm with ya.

RLFrost

Offline ghauber

• Show only replies by ghauber
    • http://www.gabrielhauber.com
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2002, 11:36:18 PM »
Well I'm willing to chip in a tenner towards any "legal" costs to get Bernithlon released.

I'm with you, too.  I'd be happy to do likewise.

Offline bhoggett

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2002, 12:21:56 AM »

ghauber wrote:

I'm with you, too.  I'd be happy to do likewise.

Cheers guys, but I really was joking. If things end up in court it will already be too late.

Unfortunately, the only thing that can turn things round now is a showing of common sense from those people who have demonstrated an utter lack of such so far.  That's why I'm not optimistic, but we'll know for sure long before Christmas.

Like I said, I will pass on the support messages, as I'm not sure Bernie reads amiga.org.
Bill Hoggett

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2002, 12:36:58 AM »

Brilliant idea!  Let's print up some t-shirts and lawsuit coupons for good measure.   :-D  :-D  :-D

Actually, I'm not sure if I'm kidding or not here....

I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Bernie, but he really seems like a good guy.  It really is a shame that he's run into so many problems with what seems to be an excellent product.  I believe he's the only person left in the Amiga development community who I'd gladly chip in money to help out.

Heck, if we can organize something to help and say "thanks", be it monitarily, or otherwise, count me in.
 :-)

Offline Glaucus

• Show only replies by Glaucus
    • http://members.shaw.ca/mveroukis/
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2002, 01:13:10 AM »
Perhaps Bernie is just TOO nice.  He's playing against opponents who don't play by the rules.  I say fight fire with fire!  Find a way to screw THEM!

And yeah, if it winds up in court it is too late.  I hate lawyers anyway so I'm not too likely to pitch in with that.  If however you want someome threatened, beaten up or mamed, let me know!  ;)

I hope this nonsense can be put behind us as the Amithlon sequel is something I'v really been waiting for and I think I'd prefer that over OS4/MorphOS.

- Mike
YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE