Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WinUAE, I can't "Add Hard Drive..."  (Read 2461 times)

Description:

Offline KitchTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kitch
WinUAE, I can't "Add Hard Drive..."
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:15:04 AM »
Ok, I've been snowed in for the last couple of days so I decided to have a good go at getting the hang of WinUAE.
I've really struggled and haven't got very far but I feel it will be worth the effort in the end.
The plan was to install ClassicWB on a 2.5" hard drive I've bought for my A1200, I can't say that I've got very far in the last two days. I've been using a USB to IDE adaptor to attach the 2.5" hard drive to my PC.

When I boot my PC via Windows XP with Amiga Forever 2008 installed and from the WinUAE Properties window I can use the "Add Hard Drive..." button to mount my 2.5" hard drive.
From this I've fluffed around and using Harddrive toolbox on the 3.1 Install.adf and I've managed to partition the hard drive into three 2GB partitions. (I've read that I'll need to do something about the 4GB HDD limit but that's the least of my problems at the moment)

When I boot the same PC via my Windows 7 hard drive and use Amiga Forever 2011/WinUAE 2.3.2.0 the "Add Hard Drive..." button is dulled out with a windows symbol in the corner. So I can't mount the hard drive, any ideas what I need to do to make this button active?

Offline Heiroglyph

• Show only replies by Heiroglyph
Re: WinUAE, I can't "Add Hard Drive..."
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 04:52:18 AM »
You may have to right-click on the WInUAE icon and run as administrator.

On XP you're usually administrator by default, but between user access control and non-admin users, Win7 often needs extra steps.

Offline KitchTopic starter

• Show only replies by Kitch
Re: WinUAE, I can't "Add Hard Drive..."
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 07:34:52 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.
I had a bit of look around but I couldn't find a suitable WinUAE folder that had the icon you mentioned (I'm sure it's in there somewhere)
I decided to install WinUAE as a standalone program rather than via Amiga Forever, doing it this way allowed me to see and use the "Add Hard Drive.." button and then mount my 2.5" hard drive.
So I'm still not sure why I have the problem via Amiga Forever/WinUAE but it's working now when I run just WinUAE.