Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga games  (Read 1239 times)

Description:

Offline motruckerTopic starter

Amiga games
« on: February 28, 2011, 04:58:02 PM »
I discovered something odd in my quest to find a working copy of Gods for my Amiga. I could find a copy anywhere!
I finally bought a copy for $.99 on eBay. But it was listed wrong and ended up being a cartridge for the Sega Genesis. I tried another tack, and found a complete Sega system for $24.00 including shipping. This seems to be exactly The same game as the Amiga version, but it plays faster! Why? This machine uses a Motorola 68000 CPU @ about 7MHz.
No matter the reason, at least I have a working copy of Gods now, thanks to the old Sega system.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
Re: Amiga games
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 05:03:46 PM »
Not sure about what custom chips the Sega has but it could also be because the Sega doesn't have an OS system looking after lots of other background tasks like HDs, keyboards, floppy disks etc... :)

Then again it could just be sloppy programming on the Amiga version... :)

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 05:28:04 PM »
Most likely memory speed + timing. Or maybe it uses a cached cpu.
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline rvo_nl

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by rvo_nl
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 05:38:05 PM »
Perhaps the Genesis has some special hardware that the Amiga lacks? I know its normally the other way around, but Im sure there have been exceptions. Street Fighter II was also a much better game on Genesis, for example. In fact, loads of games were. But I guess thats because much more money could be made on Genesis.
Amiga 1200 (1d4) Kickstart 3.1 (40.68), Elbox Power/Winner tower (450w psu), BlizzardPPC 603e+ @240mhz & 060 @50mhz, 256MB, Bvision, IDE-fix Express, IndivisionAGA, 120GB IDE, cd, dvd, Cocolino, Micronik Keycase, PCMCIA Ethernet, Ratte monitor switcher, Prelude1200, triple boot WB3.1 / OS3.9 / OS4.1, Win95 / MacOS8.1

Offline desiv

• Show only replies by desiv
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 05:55:48 PM »
Quote from: motrucker;618455
The same game as the Amiga version, but it plays faster! Why?

Because they messed up the port..

Quote from: Wikipedia
The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis port is considered by some to be one of the hardest video games ever made. Particularly to North American audiences, this is due to a sloppy conversion to the North American region; the original game had a 50 Hz refresh rate, but all North American Sega Genesis games had to have a 60 Hz refresh rate in North America due to being made for NTSC televisions. The conversion team did not change the amount of time each frame remained on screen when the refresh rate was increased to 60 Hz, making it run 16.7% faster than the original (this problem is absent when the game is played on a European Mega Drive with 50 Hz refresh rate, however). Many gamers struggled to complete it after its release, but due to the incredibly high difficulty level with no continues available, very few achieved this goal until Sega revealed the invincibility cheat in January 1992. As if to make up for this, the Japanese Mega Drive version not only ran at the correct speed but had enhanced in-game graphics as well as a toned down difficulty setting though the game still lacked continues.

desiv
Amiga 1200 w/ ACA1230/28 - 4G CF, MAS Player, ext floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 500 w/ 2M CHIP and 8M FAST RAM, DCTV, AEHD floppy, and 1084S.
Amiga 1000 w/ 4M FAST RAM, DUAL CF hard drives, external floppy.