Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: new game coming soon for AmigaOS 4.1 !  (Read 4273 times)

Description:

Offline NovaCoder

Re: new game coming soon for AmigaOS 4.1 !
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 06:31:28 AM »
Quote from: saimo;733932

I'm also very happy to announce that the game will be published by RGCD (http://www.rgcd.co.uk), a truly passionate retro game publisher (that probably some of you already know)!

Congrats, always nice to see a new Amiga game.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 08:54:07 AM »
The game looks Retro, radical and pretty cool! Always good to see new games coming out for our beloved platform
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

Offline nicholas

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »
@Saimo,

Nice looking game!

Can I ask which OS4.1 specific API's you are using in the game?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline saimo

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 04:17:25 PM »
@magnetic

Thanks!
Yes, the game is definitely retro (hey, I'm very curious to know what you mean by "radical").

@nicholas

Thanks to you as well!
No specific AOS API has been used: I relied on libSDL, libSDL_mixer and libSDL_net (and, for the very curious ones, the code is written in C).
RETREAM - retro dreams for Amiga, Commodore 64 and PC

Offline nicholas

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 09:40:12 AM »
Quote from: saimo;734014
@nicholas

Thanks to you as well!
No specific AOS API has been used: I relied on libSDL, libSDL_mixer and libSDL_net (and, for the very curious ones, the code is written in C).

Ooh now that sounds promising!

Theoretically we could look forward to a MorphOS port, or even a 68k port potentially based on Novacoder's new AGA optimized libSDL (Depending on it supporting the SDL features used by the game)?
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline saimo

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 04:52:16 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;734133
Ooh now that sounds promising!

Theoretically we could look forward to a MorphOS port, or even a 68k port potentially based on Novacoder's new AGA optimized libSDL (Depending on it supporting the SDL features used by the game)?

I'm honestly sorry, but I have to disappoint you: I don't intend to make any other ports. The reasons are multiple, the main one being that supporting multiple platforms is very demanding. F.ex., BOH supports 5 platforms and, believe me, the amount of work that was (and still is) necessary is astounding (not so much for the porting itself). I could produce a Linux build in no time, but I have decided that this time around I'm not going to invest my very limited time and energies in more ports - I definitely prefer to use them for other projects (f.ex., I have started expanding QUOD INIT EXIT and, if I keep on developing, I plan to make another brand-new C64 game). Mind you, I've already been approached for a Nintendo DS port and the answer was the same.
If you're interested in more reasons, most of those I explained in BOH's FAQ apply here as well.
Sorry again.

Offline nicholas

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2013, 06:59:10 PM »
Quote from: saimo;734162
I'm honestly sorry, but I have to disappoint you: I don't intend to make any other ports. The reasons are multiple, the main one being that supporting multiple platforms is very demanding. F.ex., BOH supports 5 platforms and, believe me, the amount of work that was (and still is) necessary is astounding (not so much for the porting itself). I could produce a Linux build in no time, but I have decided that this time around I'm not going to invest my very limited time and energies in more ports - I definitely prefer to use them for other projects (f.ex., I have started expanding QUOD INIT EXIT and, if I keep on developing, I plan to make another brand-new C64 game). Mind you, I've already been approached for a Nintendo DS port and the answer was the same.
If you're interested in more reasons, most of those I explained in BOH's FAQ apply here as well.
Sorry again.

Strange that you'd pass up on easy extra sales, its not like MorphOS or genuine Amigas are different platforms from OS4 from a development perspective.

Perhaps just having a 68k only binary would ease your burden as it will run the same on all three platforms.

Offline saimo

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;734171
Strange that you'd pass up on easy extra sales, its not like MorphOS or genuine Amigas are different platforms from OS4 from a development perspective.

Perhaps just having a 68k only binary would ease your burden as it will run the same on all three platforms.

The key here is "easy": as said above, it's not as easy as it seems - and you're probably thinking of just the port, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. Believe me, I could make a Linux port in no time, and that would be rather "interesting" sales-wise (BTW, actually I have already produced some builds in the past and I will also make a final one for testing purposes).
A MorphOS port would be probably just as straightforward as Linux' (or Windows' or MacOS'). An AROS port certainly is (I know because I ported to it BOH, which uses the same framework).
On the other hand, a Classic version would require an entire rewrite in assembly, hardware hitting, redrawing of graphics and re-tracking of music and, even with that, it would not be possible to achieve the same results - the retro look might be misleading, but there's no way AGA can cope with that resolution (401x401, 601x601 or 801x801, with the bigger resolutions looking better), 24-bit depth and 8-bit alphablending. Mind you, the idea is admittedly tempting to me (I just love to do that kind of things - I've been doing that for years*), but then it would just be a port, a much less pleasant activity than creating a totally different and new game - at that point, I'd go for this second option (and maybe in future I will... who knows... but, as said, for the moment being at the horizon there's a C64 game) ;)

*Just to prove that I'm speaking seriously, here are some of the projects I released (maybe you've even heard of them):
 - ESA: fancy development tool;
 - Follia NBA: the very first game I made on Amiga, and then updated countless times (and every now and then I'm tempted to push it beyond);
 - MEMO: a little game which is also meant to be a tribute to the Amiga and its games;
 - MOM: complex project of a handheld console, including custom OS and applications - while the target is not Amiga (but the console itself), the only emulator of such console I ever wrote is for Amiga.
(And I proudly list them on my mini-website.)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2013, 08:34:31 PM »
I know the stuff you have done in the past, I just can't fathom out the reasoning behind releasing a paid-for game exclusively for a niche within a niche such as OS4, especially in this economic climate.

I would have probably bought a Linux or MorphOS version as the game looks really good, but it's not meant to be.  No one can force you to do it. :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2013, 08:36:53 PM »
Quote from: saimo;734174
for the moment being at the horizon there's a C64 game

Now that's a platform I can buy a game for and actually play it, keep us posted. :)

Offline saimo

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 08:45:20 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;734179
I know the stuff you have done in the past, I just can't fathom out the reasoning behind releasing a paid-for game exclusively for a niche within a niche such as OS4, especially in this economic climate.

Well, first of all, I'm not in for the money - that's an added (and welcome) plus. I do what I do just because I enjoy (and can't resist) the process. It's just the process of creating what did not exists before, of giving shape to my ideas that gives me 99% of the satisfaction.
That said, the game also exists for Windows (it's the other platform I have at hand) and runs nicely under Wine (a betatester tried it on MacOS, but I know that also BOH runs under Wine on Linux).
BOH was originally only for AOS and Windows as well, but then I granted the requests of other ports: the load was huge (and, again, it was only marginally in the initial porting). I don't want to make the same mistake again. I want to use my time and energies for other things.
Sorry if it sounds brutal.

Offline saimo

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;734180
Now that's a platform I can buy a game for and actually play it, keep us posted. :)

Oh, well, don't wait for that - it's a big "if", because, at the same time, I'm also considering stopping developing software and changing my life altogether. It's hard to explain, so I won't even try.
Anyway, speaking of C64 games, of one thing you can be sure: I already have a reloaded version of QUOD INIT EXIT and I have made so much room that I want to add more stuff to it... I don't know when, but it's very likely that I'll release a new version (I don't know if also such version will be published on cartridge, but for sure there will be the free digital download - if the new version gets released, that is).

Offline nicholas

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »
Quote from: saimo;734182
Well, first of all, I'm not in for the money - that's an added (and welcome) plus. I do what I do just because I enjoy (and can't resist) the process. It's just the process of creating what did not exists before, of giving shape to my ideas that gives me 99% of the satisfaction.
That said, the game also exists for Windows (it's the other platform I have at hand) and runs nicely under Wine (a betatester tried it on MacOS, but I know that also BOH runs under Wine on Linux).
BOH was originally only for AOS and Windows as well, but then I granted the requests of other ports: the load was huge (and, again, it was only marginally in the initial porting). I don't want to make the same mistake again. I want to use my time and energies for other things.
Sorry if it sounds brutal.

Ah, sorry I didn't see it was available for Windows too.  Old age is getting to me!

I'll play the demo on WINE when you release it in that case. :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 09:06:24 PM »
Quote from: saimo;734186
Oh, well, don't wait for that - it's a big "if", because, at the same time, I'm also considering stopping developing software and changing my life altogether. It's hard to explain, so I won't even try.

I did the same myself a few years ago, go for what makes you happy my friend!

Anyway, speaking of C64 games, of one thing you can be sure: I already have a reloaded version of QUOD INIT EXIT and I have made so much room that I want to add more stuff to it... I don't know when, but it's very likely that I'll release a new version (I don't know if also such version will be published on cartridge, but for sure there will be the free digital download - if the new version gets released, that is).

Offline saimo

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;734188
Ah, sorry I didn't see it was available for Windows too.  Old age is getting to me!

No problem!

I'll play the demo on WINE when you release it in that case. :)

:)

Offline saimo

« Reply #29 from previous page: May 08, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;734189
I did the same myself a few years ago, go for what makes you happy my friend!

The tricky part here is that developing does make me happy. But probably it's not the right (or best) thing I should devote my energies to...

He he... a double-excellent, even :D