Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daylight saving bug  (Read 3811 times)

Description:

Offline Zac67Topic starter

• Show only replies by Zac67
Daylight saving bug
« on: October 28, 2007, 06:59:12 PM »
A minor bug for us European users: in Europe DST
- starts last Sunday in March
- ends last Sunday in October (today)
at 1:00 UTC.

I had to set my time zone to GMT to get the post times correct.

Offline RW222

• Show only replies by RW222
Re: Daylight saving bug
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 07:04:27 PM »
North America is using 2nd Sunday in March, first Sunday in November, changed last year. It's meant to conserve energy or something.
RW222: A1200 (early commodore) A1220 Turbo+4MB, A500x2.

Offline motorollin

• Show only replies by motorollin
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 07:07:31 PM »
I'm set to GMT but the times are showing an hour ahead :-?

--
moto
Code: [Select]
10  IT\'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN
20  FOR C = 1 TO 2
30     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA
40     DA-NA-NAAAA-NAAAA DA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAAA
50  NEXT C
60  NA-NA-NAAAA
70  NA-NA NA-NA-NA-NA-NAAAA NAAA-NAAAAAAAAAAA
80  GOTO 10

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 07:22:39 PM »

RW222 wrote:
North America is using 2nd Sunday in March, first Sunday in November, changed last year. It's meant to conserve energy or something.

In the U.S., it's meant to bolster incumbent stupid politicians and their stupid constituents into believing the U.S. Congress is actually doing something useful. This bull*** probably wastes more energy on the whole; see the informative (believe it or not) discussion on Slashdot when it was passed last year.

I thought it was just another silly U.S. idiocy, I'm surprised other countries are doing this too.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 07:51:54 PM »
@moto
That's because a.org believes you're still in DST. The problem will go away next Sunday, but I think it should at least documented.

DST is a complete stupidity, doubly so when the rules change... (which fortunately hasn't happened in Germany for 10 years - hey, don't get any stupid ideas now! :crazy: )

Offline RW222

• Show only replies by RW222
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 07:55:24 PM »
I think there's talk of going to double DST for most of the summer.
RW222: A1200 (early commodore) A1220 Turbo+4MB, A500x2.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 08:24:23 PM »
Oh well, here we go...  :idea:  :-o

Offline hamtronix

• Show only replies by hamtronix
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 09:05:29 PM »

hardlink wrote:

RW222 wrote:

In the U.S., it's meant to bolster incumbent stupid politicians and their stupid constituents into believing the U.S. Congress is actually doing something useful. This bull*** probably wastes more energy on the whole; see the informative (believe it or not) discussion on Slashdot when it was passed last year.

I thought it was just another silly U.S. idiocy, I'm surprised other countries are doing this too.

You are 100% correct in that statement friend.
CD TV / Remote / Trackball Remote / Keyboard / CDTV 1411 External Drive / C= 1405 256K RAM / Smell the fear!

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 09:52:33 PM »
The new DST rules also provide an opportunity for operating system vendors, like Microsoft and Sun, to require exorbitant amounts of money to provide a patch for older operating systems.

I don't know about Microsoft, because as well as a patch for purchase they also provided registry entries for Windows 2000.  Sun, however, wanted an existing service contract or the purchase of one for $10k per machine to provide a patch for anything older than Solaris 8.

It so happens that I have a box running Solaris 7 providing secondary MX and NS.  When the woman at Sun quoted me $10k per server, I told her that my machine is a 40MHz SparcStation IPX, and if I had $10k laying around I would have bought a Netra or something.

Fortunately, the base of most Unix DST rules is freeware, and it was a simple matter of compiling and testing.  Wham!  Solaris 7 now StupidUSA-DST compliant.

[EDIT: A Netra or more Amiga kit!!  :crazy: ]

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »
Oh yes, folks - those of you Europeans having set up a fake time zone, don't forget to reset it now that the US have joined us in winter time.

Offline Floid

• Show only replies by Floid
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 03:35:09 PM »

LoadWB wrote:

I don't know about Microsoft, because as well as a patch for purchase they also provided registry entries for Windows 2000.  Sun, however, wanted an existing service contract or the purchase of one for $10k per machine to provide a patch for anything older than Solaris 8.

[...]

Fortunately, the base of most Unix DST rules is freeware, and it was a simple matter of compiling and testing.  Wham!  Solaris 7 now StupidUSA-DST compliant.

That's sort of the point, isn't it?  If you're too clueless to write your own zonefile, then Sun gets to hose you.  Windows, on the other hand, doesn't exactly document that part of the Registry for normal users, so everyone still running '9x has to go dig up the hack or documentation thereof from some random third party.

The question is why you haven't standardized on UTC for a production machine.  Is it because it's a MX?

Offline Oliver

• Show only replies by Oliver
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 04:08:52 PM »

hardlink wrote:
In the U.S., it's meant to bolster incumbent stupid politicians and their stupid constituents into believing the U.S. Congress is actually doing something useful. This bull*** probably wastes more energy on the whole;...

Much agreed. Just means I have to go work an hour (a real hour, that is) earlier. Now, that's just really not my thing, even though I can leave earlier as well. I do know some families with children appreciate the clock phase change for afternoon activities though.
Good good study, day day up!

Offline ZeBeeDee

• Show only replies by ZeBeeDee
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 08:33:01 PM »
I just go by the clock on the wall as it automatically gets updated to the correct time by a time signal broadcast from the Ministry of Defence site located in Anthorn, on the west coast of Cumbria, England ... I'm strange like that  :-D
To err is human ... to BOING divine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Methuselas

• Show only replies by Methuselas
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2007, 09:15:39 PM »

RW222 wrote:
 This bull*** probably wastes more energy on the whole; see the informative (believe it or not) discussion on Slashdot when it was passed last year.

Actually, it's true. It does conserve energy "on paper", if you do the math.

A whopping ONE percent.....

Go G Dubya!  :roll:
\'Using no way as way. Having no limitation as limitation.\' - Bruce Lee

\'No, sorry. I don\'t get my tits out. They\'re not actually real, you know? Just two halves of a grapefruit...\' - Miki Berenyi

\'Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.\' - Dark Helmet :roflmao:

\'And for future reference, it might be polite to ask someone if you can  quote them in your signature, rather than just citing them to make a  sales pitch.\' - Karlos. :rtf

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2007, 10:41:50 PM »
Methuselas wrote:

Actually, it's true. It does conserve energy "on paper", if you do the math.

A whopping ONE percent.....

... by using up (at least) THREE percent additional energy and causing millions of EUR/GBP/USD/... to be spent for measures (hardware, software, manpower) to cope with it - grand idea from the start. :-P