Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: launch an anti apple protest  (Read 3877 times)

Description:

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
Re: launch an anti apple protest
« Reply #29 from previous page: September 29, 2004, 08:47:11 PM »

adolescent wrote:
@HopperJF

3.  No viruses?  B.S.  There aren't as many, but there are Mac viruses and worms.  
4.  30000 games?  More B.S.  The Mac library isn't near that, probably <1000 games for the platform.
5.  Really?  How do I upgrade an iMac to a 17" screen?  Newer video card?  Etc.  Sure, the high end Macs are upgradable and you can stick a CPU card in most of them but the consumer models are not upgradeable.

I've never once been infected with a virus or spyware in 3 years of using Macs online through ADSL connections.  When using my PC I was infected within minutes of going online, and a weekly AdAware scan usually found 30-50 items.

If you want to use a 17" screen on your iMac just plug in an external monitor.

You can upgrade an iMac with a new CPU, hard drive, memory, optical drive.  If you want to completely upgrade your old iMac you should just sell it on Ebay (Macs hold their value extremely well, unlike PC's) and get a new model - it would probably work out cheaper than buying all the bits yourself, even if that were possible.

Offline mikeymike

• Show only replies by mikeymike
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2004, 09:03:17 PM »
I've never once been infected with a virus or spyware in 3 years

Neither have I, and I use Windows.  Your point?

Offline amigamad

• Show only replies by amigamad
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2004, 09:26:20 PM »
1. Overpriced? Theyre cheaper than these new Amigas you are all talking about

afraid not my amigaone never even cost half of what the g5 mac does .

my pc runs windows 2000 and is very stable a pc is easier to find certain software for, the g5 mac is a nice machine and os x looks good but at around £2,500 upwards its way more than i would spend on a computer .i dont like the emac because i dont like intergrated electronics .

I do like apple there the only competition or  choice apart from linnux or unix  based machines. :-)
I once had an amigaone xe but sold it .

http://www.tamiyaclub.com

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2004, 11:05:52 PM »

Lando wrote:
If you want to use a 17" screen on your iMac just plug in an external monitor.

That'd be attractive.  The iMac with an extra screen sitting next to it.  

You can upgrade an iMac with a new CPU, hard drive, memory, optical drive.  If you want to completely upgrade your old iMac you should just sell it on Ebay (Macs hold their value extremely well, unlike PC's) and get a new model - it would probably work out cheaper than buying all the bits yourself, even if that were possible.

CPU?  Where?  I have yet to see a CPU upgrade for the iMac.
Hard drive and memory sure...  
Optical drive?  Again, I've never seen an internal upgrade, perhaps they are out there but they are not cost effective (example buying an OEM superdrive)
Video card?  You didn't answer this, because again it's not offered.

You proved the point.  The only way to upgrade the consumer models is to trash them and buy another one.  They are closed systems, which in general is bad.  On a laptop I can understand, because they are specialized components.  But, on a desktop computer it's unacceptable.
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2004, 11:46:21 PM »

adolescent wrote:
CPU?  Where?  I have yet to see a CPU upgrade for the iMac.

There was for the old CRT imacs

Hard drive and memory sure...  
Optical drive?  Again, I've never seen an internal upgrade, perhaps they are out there but they are not cost effective (example buying an OEM superdrive)

Dunno

Video card?  You didn't answer this, because again it's not offered.

Again CRT imacs
You proved the point.  The only way to upgrade the consumer models is to trash them and buy another one.  They are closed systems, which in general is bad.  On a laptop I can understand, because they are specialized components.  But, on a desktop computer it's unacceptable.

It´s perfect from the companys p.o.v
Bill Gates wishes he could do it. So does Genesi and Eyetech. just look at development of cars. or mobilephones.

Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Dan

• Show only replies by Dan
Re: apple monopolizes the PowerPC
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2004, 11:56:54 PM »

B00tDisk wrote:
I'll say this: given Jobs' personality, if the shoe were on the other foot, Apple would be no different from Microsoft.

There is no diffrence!
Do you want to hear my rant about Newton again?
Apple did it right the first time, bring back the Newton!

Offline Waccoon

• Show only replies by Waccoon
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2004, 12:06:24 AM »
1. Overpriced? Theyre cheaper than these new Amigas you are all talking about

Everything is cheaper than Amiga.

2. Cheaply made? Thats why they have won many awards for best computer designs...

Design, maybe... but they've had a boatload of reliability problems, like CD-Roms disappearing for no reason, not waking up from sleep mode (ever), and what about all those Cubes overheating cause Apple was too brass to put a 1,000 RPM fan at the bottom, which makes less noise than the quietest hard drive?  Not every computer needs a 4,500 RPM 80mm fan... or two... or five.

3. Poor quality? More durable than most PC's.. so I doubt it. No viruses for a start and as for physical build theyre one of the best built computers I have ever used, and that is a lot of machines over the years

What about all the Power Macs with plastic hinges and fans that got power by mating with connectors built into the case?  It was very stressful to open up those machines

5. You can upgrade all Macs..

But MacOS won't recognize most of them.  CPU modules are a killer.  You can't replace an Apple motherboard unless you replace your whole case.  Even many prebuilt PC builders don't do that.

Neither have I, and I use Windows. Your point?

I second that.  I repair PCs all the time and they are loaded with Spyware.  I myself never had problems and IE was my default browser until the beginning of this year.  Sounds to me that people get viruses and spyware because they are just stupid and say "yes" to every Install-On-Demand.

afraid not my amigaone never even cost half of what the g5 mac does.

Most people that point out the cost of the G5 point at the dual CPU model.  The single CPU isn't that costly, but for the money you definately deserve a better hard drive and graphics card.  I was ticked off when the $2,000 Macs built a few years ago gave you a GeForce2 MX when the full GeForce 3 was top of the line.

I do like apple there the only competition or choice apart from linnux or unix based machines.

True, but MacOS X today is more of less just a replacement for X Windows.

CPU? Where? I have yet to see a CPU upgrade for the iMac.
There was for the old CRT imacs

Wha?  I thought iMacs only had memory expansion slots and that was it.

They are closed systems, which in general is bad.

Almost everything other than the PC is that way.  I can't blame Apple for holding onto their vertical monopoly, but I do blame Steve Jobs for being the biggest ***hole in the industry.  Bill Gates is annoying, but Jobs just burns me to the core -- and that stupid smirk of his doesn't help.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2004, 12:11:09 AM »
@Dan

I realize there were upgrades for the CRT models, even G4s.  But I was talking about modernizing a modern computer.  There are no worthwhile upgrades for the iMac G4 (well, besides scrapping your 2 year old comptuer and spending another $2k on an iMac G5).  
Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline Lando

• Show only replies by Lando
    • https://bartechtv.com
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2004, 01:13:48 AM »

mikeymike wrote:
I've never once been infected with a virus or spyware in 3 years

Neither have I, and I use Windows.  Your point?

That Windows PC's are much more vulnerable to Spyware, hijack and virus attacks than Macs running OS X.

Offline iamaboringperson

• Show only replies by iamaboringperson
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2004, 01:23:22 AM »

david wrote:
This is to force Apple to give up its control of the PowerPC.

Dude, you've come up with one of the funniest threads ever.