Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Playing Goal! and Cannon Fodder on SVGA via Scandoubler  (Read 1642 times)

Description:

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
Re: Playing Goal! and Cannon Fodder on SVGA via Scandoubler
« Reply #14 from previous page: June 12, 2005, 09:51:22 PM »
I don't see why you can't do the borderblank.  I remember still being able to blank the border using my SD/FF.

It's been a while since I used it though (now BVision) so I can't remember how, but my border was definitely black.
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline JonoTopic starter

• Show only replies by Jono
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 12:57:17 PM »
Well I have the SD/FF it's the External one that Power supply.  All seems to work well, the display is clear and yes does look a little VGA like (as I would expect), but after a short period of use, you get some graphic trashing.  I also saw this in Workbench as well as in the games.

I checked the SD/FF and it feels a little warm but certainly not hot.  Apart from sticking a fan onto it (which I have seen some people have done), is there anything else that could be causing this?

Rgds
Jonathan
All the best
[color=0000FF]Jono[/color]  :-P
++++++++++++
A1200 68060/50Mhz - 32Mb (OS 3.9BB2)

Offline Doppie1200

• Show only replies by Doppie1200
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2005, 01:30:20 PM »

Vincent wrote:
I don't see why you can't do the borderblank.  I remember still being able to blank the border using my SD/FF.

It's been a while since I used it though (now BVision) so I can't remember how, but my border was definitely black.

Well my guess is the blanking is done outside the chip. Since the internal scandoubler of my A1200 gets its data from the digital rgb outputs of the chip the blanking circuitry is bypassed. But this is just a guess.

If I connect an 1084 simultaniously it displays a blank border while the VGA monitor doesn't.

Could there be something defective about my scandoubler?
Regards,
Erno

(O\\\\_|_/O) <- this is supposed to look like the front of my beetle
(entire front not possible in signature)

Offline Mad-Matt

• Show only replies by Mad-Matt
    • http://www.madmatt.cjb.net
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2005, 03:39:34 PM »

just make sure that your monitor can display the output from the SD/FF.... after i upgraded to a flatscreen, my DCE SD/FF stopped working :(
---------------------------

I Had that issue as well when i decided to hook up my scandoubler to my new 19" LCD.  Seemed it didnt like PAL signals.  If i ran NTSC modes then they would show up on the screen, although a little blurry as it was just on the edge of the monitors supported range.  The blur hides the pixels pretty well though so I think it was a win win allround ;)  Have to force whd to load all games in ntsc too.

Offline Hyperspeed

• Show only replies by Hyperspeed
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2005, 05:12:29 AM »
As long as games stick to 320x256 or 640x256 (320x200 or 640x200 NTSC) then you'll be bypassing the flicker fixer. It's the FF that often makes fast moving objects seem gritty.

Also, with my Eyetech EZ-VGA Plus external scandoubler/FF I get a much better display in NTSC (PAL gives me tiny horizontal lines through the display).

Not many games will use 640x512 or 640x400 as even AGA was never designed for this - it's far too slow. You can play Napalm in Hi-Res Laced but don't expect super responses from your units. For RTG games it's best to stay well clear of Multiscan:Productivity as that has a 31KHz horizontal refresh which drains performance.

I'm wondering if games like Myst work on AGA and if so do they use 640x512 (not much movement in that type of game anyway).

My scandoubler gets ridiculously hot too and when I used PAL it would often squeak and crash the Amiga. Not so in NTSC. I'm thinking this was to do with the potentiometer or a capacitor not quite getting along with the video out.