Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)  (Read 12808 times)

Description:

Offline buzz

• Show only replies by buzz
Re: Next MorphOS version: 3.0! (Not 2.8)
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 03:37:34 PM »
Quote from: JJ;660562
I take it you feel the same about AOS4 price wise ?

Checking if I'm an os4 fanboy? :)

I feel the same, if not perhaps more-so as the hardware is more expensive too.

Offline buzz

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2011, 03:43:44 PM »
Quote from: takemehomegrandma;660563
Well, I understand that not everyone is prepared to pay money for their hobbies, we are all different and have all different priorities. But few hobbies are completely for free, and among the mature, "usable for real" NG OS's (which excludes AROS), setting up a system with MorphOS is by far the cheapest option, and the value you get just increased even more with the free 3.0 announcement! MorphOS is completely free to try out and use though, if you don't mind rebooting every 30 minutes! :)

30 mins is a bit annoying when trying to dev on it though - but enough to try for sure :) I've used the older morphos and done some coding on it on my cyberstormppc which had no limit of course. When morphos was released on the mac mini, I think it could have created a bigger storm and had a larger userbase had it been priced differently - perhaps so it would entice those who were not "current" amiga users. Also perhaps it could have had some developer programme to get more software support (which then gets more users). Just the way I see it, obviously not the same as the main morphos team, who I think are not that concerned about numbers.

I'm going off topic now anyway.....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:53:33 PM by buzz »

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »
Quote from: buzz;660603
Checking if I'm an os4 fanboy? :)

I feel the same, if not perhaps more-so as the hardware is more expensive too.

Who me :)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
THe price and licensing does irritate me, but if they get powerbook support and wireless, I'll cough up the money, no hesitation. Just wanted that to be on record :)

As an aside, why has wireless taken so long? Is it not possible to adapt PPC linux drivers or something?

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »
Well, I'd give it a try, but my PowerBook is a 12" Aluminum (PowerBook 6,4) so no go. Although my Quicksilver G4 should actually be capable of it now that it's got a Radeon instead of a GeForce...
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline SysAdmin

• News posting Auto Agent
    • Show only replies by SysAdmin
    • http://www.a-eon.com
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 12:44:51 AM »
Is this better than CommodoreOS?

:)
Posts on this account before August 4th, 2012 don\'t belong to me.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 03:59:34 AM »
Quote from: Transition;660775
Is this better than CommodoreOS?

given that it turned out to just be ubuntu, I've been running CommodoreOS since before there was a Commodore USA!

Offline buzz

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 04:33:12 AM »
one comment regarding how much to pay for a hobby os, is that for me, i already moved on, for my "main os", and something like morphos might well be no more that say playing with a new "raspberry pi" or my recent thing "o2 joggler". the joggler was £50, has kept it's resale value and has been a lot of fun. I don't know if i would use morphos enough to justify the price tag for myself. I think the licensing is a little restrictive, and as a developer, I guess I dont get a public bugtracker, source and so on to play with. as that is part of the fun for me. Perhaps if I got morphos I would run it lots, I don't know.

Having said that, if the morphos team thought to give me a free key, that would be lovely ;-)

As I said before, I think offering developers morphos would be a good idea - Even I (Shock!) ported one app to morphos (hivelytracker), after getting it to work on os3, then later aros. or some order like that. I think morphos might have been last, but people asked for it, and I had an old morphos so it seemed a logical progression. (I think morphos gcc assumed signed chars and I had overlooked that in some code, causing a problem, my fail. and I had to change some new process call to specify ppc, but I made the effort and it works)

/ slightly drunk goodnight *burp*
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:40:57 AM by buzz »

Offline EDanaII

• Show only replies by EDanaII
    • http://www.EdwardGDanaII.info
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 04:59:44 AM »
Quote from: runequester;660795
given that it turned out to just be ubuntu, I've been running CommodoreOS since before there was a Commodore USA!

Actually, it's Linux Mint now.

I'm so enthused about the choice I'll download me a copy and install it on the hardware I already have...
Ed.

Offline runequester

• It\'s Amiga time!
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 05:06:08 AM »
Quote from: EDanaII;660801
Actually, it's Linux Mint now.

I'm so enthused about the choice I'll download me a copy and install it on the hardware I already have...

I forgot.. COS 2!

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 10:44:42 AM »
Quote from: JJ;660566
Its why I eneded up on MorphOS.  I couldn't try out AmigaOS4 , no demo , no hardware to run it on.

From the continued support, free upgrades, and the fact from what I have read of AOS4, MorphOs is miles ahead of it feature wise, I am glad that they have got the sense to have a demo version.

I can not see an argument for not having a demo version.

As far as I know no one has cracked/hacked MorphOS to beat the 30 min limint on the demo, so I don't see piracy as reasons for the other camp not to go with a demo.

Or are they ashamed for people to try before they buy?

A demo doesn't make much sense when you have to go out and buy/own specific hardware to run it on in the first place.

I can't see anyone going out and buying a Sam/AmigaONE and then wanting to try out the OS before making their mind up to spend the £100 on OS4.

Offline takemehomegrandmaTopic starter

• Show only replies by takemehomegrandma
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 12:36:26 PM »
A few more pieces of info:

Well, let's try to answer some of those questions:

- there's no support for illuminated kb atm, but it might happen. Not a priority
- special keys already work to some extent and I intend to get them all to work
- trackpad supports two finger taps and scrolling
- dvi only works in mirror mode so far
- we'd like to get audio in to work at least for the PowerBook
- write support for hfs+ is unlikely, pfs will hopefully be included

(Link)

MorphOS is Amiga done right! :)

Offline XDelusion

• Alien Breeder
    • Show only replies by XDelusion
    • http://starwarslegacy.net/
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 08:13:58 PM »
Quote from: Yahoo (bot);660536
Isn't AROS cheaper?

:nervous:

It amuses me how many times people bring this up. :)

Here are your current options:

Figure out how to set up Amithlon with your Hardware and enjoy an amazing fast Amiga experience, faster than you have ever known!

Buy a cheap Mac, throw down a one time payment and register MorphOS, and again enjoy an amazing fast Amiga experience like you have never known!!!

Throw down an ass load of cash and purchase one of the over priced Amiga OS 4.x compatible machines and enjoy an experience which I've heard is not all that fast (wouldn't know, have not been able or willing to afford this option, though my consider the X1000).

Download AROS for free and enjoy it for what it is. Mind you, all your classic Amiga experiences will have to be emulated, and I can assure you that UAE is no where near as fast as Amithlon, especially when it comes to the non WinUAE variants. So basically you will find your self not running classic Amiga software so much as you will be running new software written/ported over for AROS use.

I LOVE AROS, but it's not in the same league as MorphOS which actually allows you to run a large sum of the classic library without the need of emulation. Likewise MorphOS is so far advanced at this point that it is going to take all other Amiga clones a while to catch up with it and by that time MorphOS will be more advanced still!!!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:17:50 PM by XDelusion »
Earth has a lot of things other folks might want... like the whole planet. And maybe these folks would like a few changes made, like more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and room for their way of life. - William S. Burroughs

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 01:12:55 PM »
Quote from: danwood;660828
A demo doesn't make much sense when you have to go out and buy/own specific hardware to run it on in the first place.

I can't see anyone going out and buying a Sam/AmigaONE and then wanting to try out the OS before making their mind up to spend the £100 on OS4.

But there is a chance a lot of people already own the hardware capabale of running MorphOS so can try it out at no cost.

No one is already oging to own the hardware that can run AOS4 and not be running it.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"

Offline coldfire

• Show only replies by coldfire
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 07:52:36 PM »
I just bought a macbook off ebay this week and was about to sell my 15" powerbook g4 1.67 machine.  I love the computer as the form factor is just about perfect.  Unfortunately it's gotten too slow and the newer mac applications don't run on it.  I finally bought the intel mac just to keep up with the newer video stuff.  If MorphOS runs good on the powerbook though I'll hang onto it to run MorphOS on it.  Is there any word on a release date for this?

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 from previous page: October 23, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »
Licensing terms changing anytime soon on MOS, or is there an easier way to transfer ownership?  I've never got a clear answer on how reg's can be decommissioned from machine to machine, and have no intentions on using the same copy on multiple machines - I always pay for way I use, but can (and only would) only use 1 system at a time even if I had 50 regged copies and 50 PPC macs.

I have a couple Mac Mini's running it, unreg.  Love MOS, but don't plan on keeping the mini as a MOS machine, will relegate it to running Linux once I get a beefier Mac for MOS, so I haven't regged MOS yet.  I would in a heartbeat if the registration could be transferred.

That being said, once I do buy a beefier system than the mini's, I'll likely keep my eyes open for an even beefier system if I enjoy the experience.  I have no intentions on selling any of the HW, but don't want to register and pay for an OS multiple times and only end up using one instance of it, you know?