Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No audio out on modern IDE CD drives?  (Read 3309 times)

Description:

Offline Nostalgiac

• Show only replies by Nostalgiac
Re: No audio out on modern IDE CD drives?
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 15, 2009, 10:13:38 PM »
I never even thought of trying... I mean.... surely you have some better & modern way of listening to music ?

Tom UK
2000/2060/128mb/2320/2gb/C64-3D/Hydra-Aminet on OS 3.9

c128/1541/1750/1351 with Dolphin Dos and eprom burner

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 11:02:37 PM »
If you use the Cybersound driver package, do the calibration and then use a 14bit AHI mode the sound is not that bad at all. Not on par with a modern sound card of course, but acceptable. Well, give it a try yourself and judge it with your own ears!  It's also allways fun to push the limits of the classic machines and see what can be done with clever coding:)
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline Jose

• Show only replies by Jose
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 11:05:38 PM »
By the way, this will make any problem on the sound circuit caused by dead/leaking capacitors more visible, I've found the sound my A4000 sound circuitry was not doing very well with this because the A1200 was so much better and louder...
\\"We made Amiga, they {bleep}ed it up\\"

Offline jj

• Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by jj
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 10:51:54 AM »
Quote from: save2600;526083
@JJ: yeah, are you sure the Amiga can play audio through the IDE or SCSI cable? That would be news to me. Only way I've ever been able to play audio through any OS on the Amiga (legacy systems) is by way of that audio out cord. Sure, 3.9's CD player starts, stops, skips and fast forwards songs - but that's it as far as the data cable is concerned. AFAIK, Paula ain't up to the task and besides, that would mean massive amounts of D/A converting going on to which end, the audio would still sound like 8-bit mush. 14-bits *maybe* if you had all sorts of fancy D/A software and a very fast processor.

Of course I am Not sure :laughing:

I could be mistaken I have not used  my miggy in quite some time and very well could be talking a pile of stinking poo.
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” - George Bernard Shaw

Xbox Live: S0ulA55a551n2

Registered MorphsOS 3.13 user on Powerbook G4 15"