Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Will OS4 have SMP after all  (Read 31814 times)

Description:

Offline Iggy

• Show only replies by Iggy
Re: Will OS4 have SMP after all
« Reply #89 from previous page: July 26, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
Quote from: kamelito;742392
Permit() and Fobid() could still be patched to do whatever they want instead of the real thing.

Kamelito

Don't start making sense, you'll piss someone off.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

"You, got to stem the evil tide, and keep it on the the inside" - Rogers Waters

"God was never on your side" - Lemmy

Amiga! "Our appeal has become more selective"

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2013, 01:14:24 PM »
Quote from: OlafS3;742393
I do not know what is planned. I personal would wish a kind of compatibility mode so it is possible to run it more compatible to old software or with new features when you only use newer software.
A working SMP implementation wouldn't break compatibility :)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2013, 01:29:59 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;742397
A working SMP implementation wouldn't break compatibility :)

It was always planned for MorphOS (Qbox), so I don't see why it would be a problem either.
"Not making any hard and fast rules means that the moderators can use their good judgment in moderation, and we think the results speak for themselves." - Amiga.org, terms of service

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »
@bloodline:
ah, find them now, not sure why i missed them yesterday.

Offline _ThEcRoW

• Show only replies by _ThEcRoW
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2013, 02:04:12 PM »
So definitely it won't have the smp route?. So what's the point in modern hardware if it can't live to the standards?
Amiga 1200 desktop. Apollo 030/50 Mhz 8mb ram + ClassicWB + Wb 3.1
Amiga 500 + ACA500Plus + 16gb CF | ECS Power!!!
C64 DTV + Keyboard mod. Waiting for a 1541 disk ve...
Mac Mini G4 1.42Ghz 1gb OSX(tiger)/Morphos 3.7 Registered
C64mini + usb drive with loads of games...

Offline vox

• Show only replies by vox
    • http://anticusa.wordpress.com
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2013, 02:11:22 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;742403
It was always planned for MorphOS (Qbox), so I don't see why it would be a problem either.

But Qbox itself was never executed, nor any plans towards it were shown. In last discussions at MorphZone x86 transition was ment to replace the Qbox route.

Quote from: _ThEcRoW;742409
So definitely it won't have the smp route?. So what's the point in modern hardware if it can't live to the standards?[/QUOTE

It will have some kind of dual core implementation, more when we see how will it work and perform.
Future Acube and MOS supporter, fi di good, nothing fi di unprofessionals. Learn it harder way! http://www.youtube.com/user/rasvoja and https://www.facebook.com/rasvoja

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2013, 02:29:22 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;742403
Earlier you complained about AROS using UAE as a virtual machine, because of the fact that it would keep the 68k and native environments separate. But now you talk about the QBox, which would be a separate environment from the ABox (what you currently know as MorphOS)... There would be no mixing of environments if the morphOS guys ever decide to develop the QBox side with a user space...

Offline nicholas

« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2013, 02:36:17 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;742390
forbid() is part of the exec.library API, and loads of Amiga software uses it as it is a quick and simple way of locking a resource and making sure your operation is atomic... But for a while now, AROS devs have been encouraged to use alternative locking methods that don't freeze the system.

Also there is no issue with AROS 68k or any other AROS port if AROS gets a working SMP implementation, if the system only have one CPU it will work just as AROS/AmigaOS does now... And key to any implementation is that is doesn't break older software anyway (even if that means the older software might be slowing down the newer software, if that is an issue, don't run the older software or rewrite it to take advantage of the newer systems).

What if a modified exec was running on top of a modified Linux kernel that enabled SMP by distributing Amiga processes across various cores?

A kind of Amithlon on steroids? ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742423
What if a modified exec was running on top of a modified Linux kernel that enabled SMP by distributing Amiga processes across various cores?

A kind of Amithlon on steroids? ;)
That would be one solution ;) ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2013, 02:40:01 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;742419
Earlier you complained about AROS using UAE as a virtual machine, because of the fact that it would keep the 68k and native environments separate. But now you talk about the QBox, which would be a separate environment from the ABox (what you currently know as MorphOS)... There would be no mixing of environments if the morphOS guys ever decide to develop the QBox side with a user space...

Not neccessarily.  Who knows what they would do and how they would do it?

There are many ways to skin a cat as you know Matt. ;)
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline Iggy

« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2013, 02:42:01 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;742419

Actually as they would probably feed a common graphic interface, there is always the possibility of transferring info from one to the other.

Again, the concept doesn't resemble UAE which goes out of its way to emulate the entire machine instead of reimplementing what it can natively

For a intelligent dude, your sure are trying hard to miss the point bloodline.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #100 on: July 26, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
Quote from: nicholas;742427
Not neccessarily.  Who knows what they would do and how they would do it?

There are many ways to skin a cat as you know Matt. ;)
You are, of course, quite right. I'm just remembering how Ralph explained the ABox/QBox separation to me. The idea was to keep the legacy 68k/PPC stuff in the Abox and all the new stuff in the QBox.

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #101 on: July 26, 2013, 02:52:09 PM »
Quote from: Iggy;742429
Actually as they would probably feed a common graphic interface, there is always the possibility of transferring info from one to the other.

UAE on AROS and native AROS apps shared a graphical user interface too... That was kind of the point :)

Again, the concept doesn't resemble UAE which goes out of its way to emulate the entire machine instead of reimplementing what it can natively

The advantage of the 68k emulation in AOS4 and MOS is that the 68k and PPC apps live in the same environment and can share libraries etc... It is only possible because the 68K and PPC are big endien...

For a intelligent dude, your sure are trying hard to miss the point bloodline.

I don't think you realise that the AROS UAE integration is supposed to be pretty seamless to the user... You might never know UAE is actually running!! :)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2013, 02:56:10 PM »
Quote from: Methuselas;742319
Troll! :razz:

Everyone knows OS4 is the holy grail of modern computing, you Commie Terrorist! ;)

:lol:

Surely Minix with AmiWM/X11, Ken's Icons and UAE with AROS 68k is the true future? ;)

Offline nicholas

« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2013, 03:21:44 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;742433
UAE on AROS and native AROS apps shared a graphical user interface too... That was kind of the point :)

The advantage of the 68k emulation in AOS4 and MOS is that the 68k and PPC apps live in the same environment and can share libraries etc... It is only possible because the 68K and PPC are big endien...

I don't think you realise that the AROS UAE integration is supposed to be pretty seamless to the user... You might never know UAE is actually running!! :)

A clone of Trance with seamless byte-swapping would be nice.  Shame Emumiga never got off the ground. :(

Offline Iggy

« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;742433

Yeah, but you routinely keep ignoring the point that the OS calls don't need to going through interpretation.

What you are talking about is less efficient.