Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Conflict with Romulator + PPS Zeus 68040 in an A2000  (Read 541 times)

Description:

Offline Huxley_DTopic starter

• Show only replies by Huxley_D
    • Check out The Retro Roadshow, my pop-up museum of vintage technology!
Conflict with Romulator + PPS Zeus 68040 in an A2000
« on: December 23, 2019, 02:55:23 AM »
Hi everyone!

I was fortunate enough to snag one of Kipper2k's neat Romulator boards (purchase from Amiga on the Lake) to drop into my Amiga 2000 (Rev. 6.2). After many years of steady effort, my A2000 is pretty well upgraded, featuring an Ethernet card, Commodore RAM board, GVP SCSI board (hooked up to a SCSI2SD adapter I boot from), Individual Computers FlickerFixer board, and (the crown jewel) a Progressive Peripherals "Zeus" 68040 CPU upgrade running at 33MHz. It's a beastly machine, and I've been itching to add the Romulator since it's been sitting unopened on my desk for weeks.

I took the whole machine apart today and got the Romulator installed, after prepping the microSD card with a bunch of fully-licensed ROM images (including the DiagROM, and a newly-licensed Kickstart 3.1.4). When I boot the machine with the Romulator, it works great - I can select my ROMs, run the DiagROM, etc. - no issues there. I've also replaced the Ethernet board, RAM board, GPV SCSI board, etc., and they're all working nicely.

HOWEVER: if I also replace the Zeus '040 board, I get nothing - the machine powers up (fans, power LED, etc.) but other than that, I cannot get any response whatsoever onscreen, and (based on the lack of floppy activity and/or Romulator menu-music) it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. Removing the Zeus board instantly gets the system working again, but without the amazing speed improvement the Zeus board offers (and which I'm not exactly looking to give up).

Any ideas or suggestions here? I really want this to work!

Thanks,

Huxley

Offline joekster

• Show only replies by joekster
Re: Conflict with Romulator + PPS Zeus 68040 in an A2000
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 02:01:39 PM »
I had a similar issue with my zeus. I burned a custom kickstart and everything was working until i plugged in the zeus. When i tried a stock 3.1 rom (3.1, not 3.1.4) all was fine with the zeus. I never had the time to track down the offending module in the kickstart.