Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New AGA SDL Development  (Read 32813 times)

Description:

Offline apj

Re: New AGA SDL Development
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2013, 06:57:20 PM »
Nova is sound enabled in your lib ?
Zelda gives me :
"SDL_AudioInit: Select the proper audio driver"

Offline NovaCoderTopic starter

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2013, 09:22:32 PM »
Nope, no sound, timer or threads.

Try it without initializing sound.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2013, 09:40:24 PM »
as this sdl lib is particularly meant for genuine hardware (why port sdl programs to aga to run them under winuae that provides rtg by default?) leaving out sound is mostly neccessary as it is anyway too heavy a load for hardware in question.

Offline nyteschayde

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by nyteschayde
    • http://www.nyteshade.com
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
One thing that would help future updates, if/when you give up on the project, is when you post it someplace (you are going to post it someplace like aminet, right?) then make sure you document the changes made to your stock version of the SDL code. This way people can do a diff of what needs to be changed when porting to newer updated versions of SDL.

Encapsulate these changes and document them while they're fresh in your mind. Oh, and great work!
Senior MTS Software Engineer with PayPal
Amigas: A1200T 060/603e PPC • A1200T 060 • A4000D 040 • A3000 (x2) • A2000 Vamp/V2 • A1200 (x4) • A1000 (x3) • A600 Vamp/V1 • A500

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »
I'm currently adding timer and threading support, I might add sound next week.

Looks like I am going to have to make some tweaks to make NetSurf quicker.

Yep I'll upload the finished lib to AmiNet.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 10:00:29 PM »
also although more complicated one could consider compiling this (optionally) as amiga shared lib. this would allow to make ports ready and update the library later, without the necessity of recompiling the ports. how about that?

Offline AmigaClassicRule

• Show only replies by AmigaClassicRule
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2013, 10:29:40 PM »
Quote from: wawrzon;734298
as this sdl lib is particularly meant for genuine hardware (why port sdl programs to aga to run them under winuae that provides rtg by default?) leaving out sound is mostly neccessary as it is anyway too heavy a load for hardware in question.

That is for people who own the real Amiga and does not desire WinUAE! You know not everyone and I mean not EVERYONE likes using emulators. I know we had this discussion earlier about how good WinUAE is and how you cannot tell the difference between it and the real thing and so on and so on...STILL for people who desire the obsession and need to use the real thing...people like me who prefer the real hardware over emulation...even if it means cluttering my desk with additional hardware and so on.

Offline royalcrown

• Show only replies by royalcrown
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2013, 11:05:45 PM »
@magnetic...Hi, I wanted to say hello and I am glad that there are other crabby old farts besides me on here :) I saw all your "doomy" stuff on EAB and wanted to give you a nod when I joined up here...glad you are un-banned man.
I gots me a Video Toaster...where do I put the bread in ?!?! :confused:

Offline wawrzon

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 11:08:41 PM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;734305
That is for people who own the real Amiga and does not desire WinUAE! You know not everyone and I mean not EVERYONE likes using emulators. I know we had this discussion earlier about how good WinUAE is and how you cannot tell the difference between it and the real thing and so on and so on...STILL for people who desire the obsession and need to use the real thing...people like me who prefer the real hardware over emulation...even if it means cluttering my desk with additional hardware and so on.

i wasnt bashing genuine amiga hardware. i use and prefer it too to uae. i was just making a technical hint, since i have done few sdl ports to run on real amigas.

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:03 AM »
hey royal crown hows it going man? What do you mean "doomy" not that tosser from oregon? Look man i've been heavy involved in this platform on a few different levels. I really care and the way  I was treated by both EAB and Amibay is a damn shame. (Life ban first offense both sites... so looks like they themselves proves my theory about their Gestapo/Stasi like tactics!

@Nova

I'm so excited for netsurf aga!! w000ttt
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:02:51 AM by magnetic »
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2013, 01:17:10 AM »
Quote from: wawrzon;734302
also although more complicated one could consider compiling this (optionally) as amiga shared lib. this would allow to make ports ready and update the library later, without the necessity of recompiling the ports. how about that?

Sorry but I'm waaaay to lazy to do that :)

This was only meant to be a quick hack to help me to port stuff to AGA but it turns out there are other projects that want to use it.

I'm now going to try and make it a little more flexible for other projects but this library will always be a bit of a hack I'm afraid :)

I'll see how I go, my priority at the moment is just to get NetSurf AGA working faster with this library, after that I'll try and add some kind of sound module to it.

I still haven't decided which way to go with the sound support.  I'm thinking I might attempt to do two versions.   One version would not support Timers or Threading and would use the Quake 2 sound engine (TM), the other slower version would be like the usual SDL with Timers and Threaded sound.
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2013, 01:58:15 AM »
Quote from: NovaCoder;734326
Sorry but I'm waaaay to lazy to do that :)

This was only meant to be a quick hack to help me to port stuff to AGA but it turns out there are other projects that want to use it.

I'm now going to try and make it a little more flexible for other projects but this library will always be a bit of a hack I'm afraid :)

I'll see how I go, my priority at the moment is just to get NetSurf AGA working faster with this library, after that I'll try and add some kind of sound module to it.

I still haven't decided which way to go with the sound support.  I'm thinking I might attempt to do two versions.   One version would not support Timers or Threading and would use the Quake 2 sound engine (TM), the other slower version would be like the usual SDL with Timers and Threaded sound.

You know what your NetSurf will do to the Amiga classic community??  Especially for AGA? It will open abundance of NEW GAME libraries like no tomorrow and even applications. All these HTML 5 games or Apps that run on browser can finally run in the classic Amiga. NO more worry about porting..we can even have our very own MMORPG game in the classic Amiga. Maybe 95% of to 98% of them will not work on AGA Amiga...but if even 2% does work.....IT IS UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME!! Also it means for us Amiga classic users may need to seriously consider porting our Amiga hardware to RTG Amiga classic thus Amiga 4000 may sound way more appealing now...with that...we can have the 80% of the apps and games that comes from browser.

Am I wrong? If I am not wrong and you can confirm to me that it is possible and if I see it in youtube running as I was expecting, html games and apps in A4000 using RTG...Amiga classic...then when I see all of that...I will start hunting down an Amiga 4000 and sell my A1200 instead. I will try my A1200 for an A4000 with the following specs, a 68060 @ 80 Mhz Amiga 4000 or at least 70 Mhz with 128 Mb of RAM and RTG for my Amiga 1200 with internet support of course. If not trade when I sell my Amiga 1200 I will pay the difference to get that machine! Otherwise if FPGAReplay Arcade can compete over the A4000 and do better I will go for that...either way I am seeking the MOST fastest classical Amiga hardware with the highest of specs possible for classic Amiga to enjoy: Movies, Browsing (NetSurf with all the perks that comes with it such as Javascript, CSS, HTML 5 support with it's games), games of course and SDL applications and games. This to me would be the alternative to Windows and finally possible...or at least my second choice of most common used OS.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:01:54 AM by AmigaClassicRule »

Offline nicholas

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2013, 02:00:09 AM »
Quote from: AmigaClassicRule;734330
You know what your NetSurf will do to the Amiga classic community??  Especially for AGA? It will open abundance of NEW GAME libraries like no tomorrow and even applications. All these HTML 5 games or Apps that run on browser can finally run in the classic Amiga. NO more worry about porting..we can even have our very own MMORPG game in the classic Amiga. Maybe 95% of to 98% of them will not work on AGA Amiga...but if even 2% does work.....IT IS UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME!! Also it means for us Amiga classic users may need to seriously consider porting our Amiga hardware to RTG Amiga classic thus Amiga 4000 may sound way more appealing now...with that...we can have the 80% of the apps and games that comes from browser.

Am I wrong?

Yes you are wrong.
“Een rezhim-i eshghalgar-i Quds bayad az sahneh-i ruzgar mahv shaved.” - Imam Ayatollah Sayyed  Ruhollah Khomeini

Offline magnetic

• Show only replies by magnetic
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2013, 02:10:39 AM »
lulz
bPlan Pegasos2 G4@1ghz
Quad Boot:Reg. MorphOS | OS4.1 U4 |Ubuntu GNU-Linux | MacOS X

Amiga 2000 Rom Switcher w/ 3.1 + 1.3 | HardFrame SCSI | CBM Ram board| A Squared LIVE! 2000 | Vlab Motion | Firecracker 24 gfx

Commodore CDTV: 68010 | ECS | 9mb Ram | SCSI -TV | 3.9 Rom | Developer EPROMs

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2013, 02:11:19 AM »
NetSurf is not my project, Arti has done all the hard work.   I'm just helping him out with an AGA version.

Read all about it right here -> NetSurf AGA
Life begins at 100 MIPS!

Nice Ports on AmiNet!

Offline AmigaClassicRule

« Reply #44 from previous page: May 10, 2013, 03:02:09 AM »
Quote from: nicholas;734331
Yes you are wrong.

* sigh * Oh well.