Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Amiga XP x86 guide  (Read 9440 times)

Description:

Offline haywirepc

• Show only replies by haywirepc
Re: The Amiga XP x86 guide
« Reply #14 from previous page: October 05, 2009, 07:22:04 AM »
Just a quick note to say that my AMD1400 is running great after installing an agp accellerated graphics card. Its only a 32meg card but it made a HUGE difference.

I guess having the GPU is what matters alot. WBasteroids and everything else I tried ran great. So in building your emulation machine, the lesson is that you should care just as much about an accellerated video card as you do about the cpu.

Before the new video card, the machine seemed to crawl when loading any games.
Now it flies, so what do you know, 1400mhz is plenty fast as an emulated amiga.

Steven

Offline lelezetecTopic starter

• Show only replies by lelezetec
    • http://enigmaamigarun.blogspot.com
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 01:30:51 PM »
Quote from: haywirepc;524745
Just a quick note to say that my AMD1400 is running great after installing an agp accellerated graphics card. Its only a 32meg card but it made a HUGE difference.

I guess having the GPU is what matters alot. WBasteroids and everything else I tried ran great. So in building your emulation machine, the lesson is that you should care just as much about an accellerated video card as you do about the cpu.

Before the new video card, the machine seemed to crawl when loading any games.
Now it flies, so what do you know, 1400mhz is plenty fast as an emulated amiga.

Steven

Good to hear that! Now build your own Amiga case :)
Amiga 2400 x86 owner

Amiga is in my heart and in my mind...

Offline Hell Labs

• Show only replies by Hell Labs
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 05:21:32 PM »
Isn't this just AmigaOS XL homebrew?

You know, I never understood why that never became the accepted solution. I mean, if the emulator ran on extremely stripped down linux, used a separate Hard Disk or partition for the amigaOS, and could use something like a catweasel to read floppy disks as if they are natively supported, what would the difference be? It's not impossible to make. Just needs someone who can program who wants to do it.

More specifics:

Multithreaded emulator. Each chip, graphics, sound, 68kcpu can be it's own thread. that way, each real cpu core emulates a different chip. Very good performance boost. some kind of passthrough to the real graphics card?

Almost unchanging amiga hardware. The emulator can do, say, an a1200 060 with P96. Perhaps, the emulator will do generic 3d cards, maybe 1 new design per year. This would make it easier for the actual amigaOS developers, as they would not have to learn about new hardware standards much.

Movable amiga environment? Could the amigaOS install be moved to another computer with the emulatorOS installed without problems? Probably. This would be a great help with buying new hardware and moving files.

I really don't see why not. Linux could deal with hardware drivers and rubbish, amiga still thinks it's an 1200 with a really high clock speed. Could be ported to new hardware with almost no effort. The only peice of needed hardware could be a catweasel, and that could be included with the software?
A1200 Computer Combat. OS3.0. No accelerator, no fastram, mouse soon. And ebaying it.

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 07:54:08 PM »
Anyone got a copy of this ?  The megashare link won't work for me, been saying
"We have detected an elevated number of requests from your IP address." for the last week.

Can someone upload it somewhere else?  Just got a mini Acer atom PC, would be cool to turn it into a nice classic os 3 machine.

Offline Zac67

• Show only replies by Zac67
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
I've mirrored the file on
http://wowohl.de/Amiga_XP_x86.pdf

Have fun!

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 09:51:18 PM »
Quote from: Zac67;558324
I've mirrored the file on
http://wowohl.de/Amiga_XP_x86.pdf

Have fun!

Offline trekiej

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 11:16:42 PM »
Very nice indeed.
Amiga 2000 Forever :)
Welcome to the Planar System.

Offline hardlink

• Show only replies by hardlink
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »
Nice!

What about using a windblows 98 core for this?
Is it possible, and would it be any smaller or faster?
Serious question, really.

Offline Duce

• Off to greener pastures
    • Show only replies by Duce
    • http://amigabbs.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 05:05:53 AM »
Bumping an extremely old thread, but just setup another old AMD X2/nVidia 7800 gfx card PC according to this guide (WB 3.1, fairly stock).  Highly recommended for anyone that wants a seamless emulated Amiga experience.  As for the Win 98 question, might be doable with an older version of WinUAE.  Newer versions don't support anything older than WinXP, which I found out with the aforementioned above AMD PC when I tried to use Windows 2000.  The AMD X2 system is running just super following this Amiga XP x86 .pdf guide under Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition (nLite stripped install, services disabled).