Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So did you ever have an atari computer?  (Read 6875 times)

Description:

Offline runequesterTopic starter

• It\'s Amiga time!
    • Show only replies by runequester
So did you ever have an atari computer?
« on: November 13, 2010, 03:30:26 AM »
Whether 8 bit or the ST and its offshoots ?

When I got my amiga (late 92) atari had all but disappeared from stores where I grew up (Denmark). Never knew anyone who had one, never saw them in stores, nothing.

So a few years ago when I read about this rival to the amiga, I got curious, and I've been researching them quite a bit.

Anyone had one?

Offline Gulliver

Re: So did you ever have an atari computer?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 03:35:55 AM »
I still have an Atari 65xe, and dare admit I allways wanted to get an Atari Falcon!

Offline HammerD

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:40:19 AM »
Quote from: runequester;591363
Whether 8 bit or the ST and its offshoots ?

When I got my amiga (late 92) atari had all but disappeared from stores where I grew up (Denmark). Never knew anyone who had one, never saw them in stores, nothing.

So a few years ago when I read about this rival to the amiga, I got curious, and I've been researching them quite a bit.

Anyone had one?

No, I have an Atari 2600 (still), and had (much later) an Atari Lynx, but it just stopped working one day...

My first computer was a Commodore 64C, then I jumped to an Amiga 2000 in 1989 or so.

The Amiga was better for me, better OS, better chipset, so I didn't pay much attention to Atari computers.
AmigaOS 4.x Beta Tester - Classic Amiga enthusiast - http://www.hd-zone.com is my Amiga Blog, check it out!

Offline B00tDisk

• VIP / Donor - Lifetime Member
    • Show only replies by B00tDisk
    • http://www.thedelversdungeon.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 03:44:06 AM »
Like most middle class suburban white kids in the US who grew up in the 80's, we had a 2600.

I briefly owned an Atari 800XL.  About all I did with it was work on a game in BASIC that went no-where, and play Defender (cartridge).  Man I must've run up millions of points playing that.

Sold it after a few months (the 800XL).
Back away from the EU-SSR!

Offline LoadWB

• Show only replies by LoadWB
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 03:44:38 AM »
I have an 800XL with a 1050 disk drive, a modem, and the 1010 program recorder.

Offline Franko

• Show only replies by Franko
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 03:57:44 AM »
Never owned one myself, kinda knew one person who claimed to own one back in the early 90's, he was a kid who used to follow all us amiga users around the software stores on a Saturday (back when we used to have lots of Amiga soft/hardware stores), he was always going on about how the Atari had better sound than the Amiga, bit of a strange kid really, but that's the closest I've got to an Atari. :)

Offline JimS

• Show only replies by JimS
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 04:48:35 AM »
I had a 800, 800XL, and a 400 for a while, with all the external drives and stuff. I even started & ran a user group for years. But when the 16 bit machines came out, the Amiga looked better to me so I jumped ship and handed off the group to the ST folk.

There's a lot of similarity between the 8bit Atari machines and the Amiga, more than just the hardware - designed by the same folks.
Obsolescence is futile. You will be emulated. - Amigus of Borg

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 04:52:16 AM »
no never had one but didnt get home computer till quite late my best friend had amstad 128 always wanted one of those love game socerry
apprently they where best for music because had in build midi port connect to electronic keyboard appently musician fatboy slim still uses his atrai for composing music with
best friend had atrai st   showed me it had os n the rom thought that was cool
looked alot more pc looking to me a had 720 kb floppy disks
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline actung_bab

• Show only replies by actung_bab
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 04:53:48 AM »
Quote from: Franko;591369
Never owned one myself, kinda knew one person who claimed to own one back in the early 90's, he was a kid who used to follow all us amiga users around the software stores on a Saturday (back when we used to have lots of Amiga soft/hardware stores), he was always going on about how the Atari had better sound than the Amiga, bit of a strange kid really, but that's the closest I've got to an Atari. :)
if thats strange kid was fatboy slim quick cange your story u might get some cash hehe
say where did that cool kid go .... hehe
Acthung baby
http://telnet://midnight-blue.dyndns.org
Cnet 4.60 PRO bbs software
Amiga 1200 020 14 mhz mbz 1200 z pcmcia network card 4 meg ram 2 Gb scandisk cf
Amiga 2000 020
Amiga 4000 030 25 mhz broken
Amiga x 4 1200
x 6 Sony Ps 3 Orginal 60 gb 4  port usb 160 gb hd (os 4.1 ready :-)
what can i say i like thse machines
x 3 XBOX 360 1x xbox 360 slim
url=http://avatars.jurko.net][/

Offline redrumloa

• Original Omega User
    • Show only replies by redrumloa
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 04:56:00 AM »
2600 if consoles count. I've had Atari computers in my possession before, but never used them.
Someone has to state the obvious and that someone is me!

Offline countzero

• Show only replies by countzero
    • http://blog.coze.org
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 05:40:24 AM »
I never had one back in the day, but I got an STe, TT and Falcon in last two years just out of curiousity. I have to say I am severely disappointed, especially for the lack of software, and lack of information and organisation (no aminet,) it just takes too much time to set up these babies which I dont have atm ...

I tried to stir up some folks at atari-forums for something like classic workbench equivalent for the Atari, they didnt get idea unfortunately ...
I believe in mt. Fuji

Offline lsmart

• Show only replies by lsmart
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 06:16:08 AM »
Atari? If you asked such a question in an Amiga forum in 1990 you probably would have been accused of trolling. I knew people who had Ataris. STs were usually bougt by the parents, because they wanted to do word processing, or expected their offspring to become like Kasparov (who was in the ADs). We knew that the ST had great midi-software, but none of my friends used them for that and they also didn´t own a color monitor.
A cousin of mine had an Atari 800XL and while it was not much different to a C64 it always felt like a cheap "me too"-product to me - made for people who mainly wanted to play games. In fact I don´t know of any serious application or programming package even today, but I guess this is just my ignorance.

Offline zipper

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2010, 07:34:58 AM »
Just an 2600 and a bagful of broken joysticks; probably 50 cartridges.

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2010, 07:47:27 AM »
I only ever knew one person in who owned an atari st back in the day. We'd often do the amiga vs. st thing at school, but it was mostly in good fun as he was pretty willing to admit he'd have preferred an amiga. Even though he was pretty honest about the differences in the machines he swore that Super Hang On was faster on the ST, which is something I should check one day.

Ironically I never played any ST software until I ran StonX on amithlon/os3.9 about 6  or 7 years ago. Was fun to see what I was "competeing" against all those years ago.

After being used to the amiga versions of much of the software I looked at you really "feel" the use of the amigas custom chips. Even things like sound (which incidently is awful) could sometimes slow things down onscreen on the ST vs. Amiga. Games that were little more than ST ports in particular are a good showcase of this as when static they look the same.

Anyway, it was interesting to check out what the "other side" was using back in the day, but it mostly re-enforced I'd made the right choice back then  :-)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline spirantho

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2010, 08:44:24 AM »
I didn't used to - but I do now. I actually have a 1MB upgraded 520ST (that's the original 1984 one with no disk drive, no TV modulator, nothing!), a 1040STfm or 2 and a Falcon 030.

Funny this is that Atari suffered the same problem as CBM did at the time - Atari would keep throwing upgrades at the users, but the software developers always stuck to the baseline as that was what sold the most.
The STe was a much better machine, and had a blitter, better palette and much better sound. Hardly anything used it.
The Falcon was better than a 1200, in hardware. Still, nothing used it. I remember when the Falcon was coming out Amiga users were pretty worried that their computer wasn't as good as an Atari any more. In 1992 PCs were still predominantly machines that went ping and had up to 16 colours while needing a mortgage to buy. VGA was there but very expensive. It was all Atari vs Amiga.

I miss those days *sniff*, at least the ST had character. It's kind of like in the 60s everyone arguing who's better: The Beatles or The 'Stones? Then a few decades later it's Leona bloomin' Lewis (that's her real full name, by the way, honest) spat out of the Cowell machine who's topping the charts.

Oops, looks like I got side-tracked. Must be getting old...
--
Ian Gledhill
ian.gledhill@btinternit.com (except it should be internEt of course...!)
Check out my shop! http://www.mutant-caterpillar.co.uk/shop/ - for 8-bit (and soon 16-bit) goodness!