Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fixing My A600 Keyboard  (Read 1186 times)

Description:

Offline bellerTopic starter

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
Fixing My A600 Keyboard
« on: September 08, 2019, 08:12:09 PM »
I've been upgrading my A600 for a couple of months...sent off for a board repair for most of it.  Putting it back together I realized I needed another disk drive since the one I had wasn't working any more.  Anyway, short story, I put it all back together this week and found I had yet another issue....a bunch of keys on the keyboard were dead.  I did a quick panic and thought, maybe if I trim the end of the membrane.  What did I have to lose, right. 

I trimmed a very small bit from the edge of the connector and mounted it to the motherboard.  It worked!!!!  I think the neighbors heard the shouts!

Offline SACC-guy

Re: Fixing My A600 Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 01:48:38 AM »
Did you take pics? How much was "small bit"?

My 600 keyboard was an issue too.. but my response was to get a new membrane from..

Rich Mellor RWAP Software www.rwapsoftware.co.uk www.sellmyretro.com

I've been upgrading my A600 for a couple of months...sent off for a board repair for most of it.  Putting it back together I realized I needed another disk drive since the one I had wasn't working any more.  Anyway, short story, I put it all back together this week and found I had yet another issue....a bunch of keys on the keyboard were dead.  I did a quick panic and thought, maybe if I trim the end of the membrane.  What did I have to lose, right. 

I trimmed a very small bit from the edge of the connector and mounted it to the motherboard.  It worked!!!!  I think the neighbors heard the shouts!

Offline bellerTopic starter

• S.A.C.C.
    • Show only replies by beller
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 03:17:41 AM »
I had a membrane on order which is why I felt a bit brave.   Sorry I didn’t get pics but the trim was of the end...probably less than the width of a toothpick but enough to shave off the end which is damaged.

What ya got to lose, right? 😎

Offline paul1981

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
I wonder whether it's worth using a bit of wd-40 on that ribbon on the end, because it is so easy to tug at it and damage the conductor. Basically if it has a bit of oil on it it might not damage it if it's tugged out by mistake.

The following users thanked this post: beller