Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Amiga NEWBIE needs help : )  (Read 2986 times)

Description:

Amiga NEWBIE needs help : )
« on: December 21, 2002, 08:39:53 PM »
hey i have purchased the cloanto package witht the roms and all the stuff i was told i will need to run amiga on my x86 machine. I have installed a copy of UAE on my Mandrake 9.0 Box the eulator is working fine but when i try and load the roms and all i get a black screen with 4 green boxes? Im totaly new to this so im not sure if that is good or not. What i would like to do is be able to open an amiga desktop "graphical" and be able to mess around with the operating system. Im totaly new to amiga so if any one could help me it would be great.

Offline Panthro

• Show only replies by Panthro
    • http://www.hell-fish.tk
Re: Amiga NEWBIE needs help : )
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2002, 09:20:55 PM »
I havent ever used a emulated Amiga, but I think that some emulators use different file formats to store the rom dumps in...... :-? maybe one of our Uae boys could clear this one up!
-Panthro

Offline seer

• Show only replies by seer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2002, 09:38:28 PM »
Hello Madhattr ,

The ROMs sold with Amiga Forever are, AFAIK, encrypted. You need to tell UAE where the key is (Same dir as where the ROM files are)... I know WinUAE supports encrypted ROMs, I don't know if UAE for Linux can...

If you have acces to a PC, you could run WinUAE with the supplied ROMs, run transrom also supllied with Amiga Forever/WinUAE and save the ROM for use with the linux version... Don't know if this works, else you need to obtain anotherrom image.
~
Everything you say will be misquoted and used against you.
~

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 09:41:01 PM »
@madhattr-

Hey...  Welcome!  Glad to see some new interest in the old Amigas.  Now, on with the problem...

Four green boxes???  That's rather strange.  I wouldn't think that's a good thing, by any means.  It's an error mode of the UAE that I haven't seen before.  Which ROM set are you trying to use?  I'd start off trying to get a minimum system running, then add in the rest, later.  

Your first goal should be to get the "Insert Workbench" screen up.  This will at least confirm that you have a baseline parameter configured correctly, and that the ROM is intact, and the Amiga emulation is opening a valid screen on Linux.  (I haven't tried UAE on Mandrake 9 - I have run Mandrake before, but always used UAE through Windows.)  Anyhow, what I'd recommend starting out is to leave most all UAE settings at the defaults, and simply select the ROM set you'd like to try (1.3 or 3.1 would be my recommendations, as these two are the most tested).  Maybe pick to have 8mb Z2 RAM, 1MB chip, and nothing more.  (Don't try to add more than 9MB in that configuration as your base config for testing - it'll cause problems)  Select to run UAE in a window, rather than open it's own screen, as well.  This is the most compatible mode for testing, and you can move up to better emulation settings later, after you get a base running.

Anyhow, if you get that running, in 1.3 you'll be greeted by a white screen with a picture of a hand holding a workbench disk, or in 3.1, you'll have a purple screen with an animation of a disk flying into a floppy drive.  Once you get to that stage, you can start playing around on your own, and select the .ADF file for your emulation, or come back for more info on how to configure additional RAM, Picasso Graphics, etc.

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 09:44:23 PM »
@seer-
The ROMs sold with Amiga Forever are, AFAIK, encrypted. You need to tell UAE where the key is (Same dir as where the ROM files are)...

Really?  I always thought the key was just a list of offsets to help the emulator figure out which precise ROM dump it's using.  Hmm...  This might also be something to check on, indeed.  Though, the latest Amiga Forever is supposed to run on Mac, too... I wouldn't think they'd do anything TOO proprietary!

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 09:47:21 PM »
yes i has shown UAE where the key was

Offline seer

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 09:51:53 PM »
Hmmm A green screen on a real Miggy indicates a chip ram failure, but since you're emulating.. Are you trying to run UAE with OS3.x ? What's your amount of chipram ?
~
~

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 09:52:49 PM »
yeah i have left all og UAE's settings the same as they were when i first started the program an i have both 1.3 and 3.1 im going to go try and mess around with it some more.

Offline seer

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2002, 09:56:57 PM »
Really? I always thought the key was just a list of offsets to help the emulator figure out which precise ROM dump it's using. Hmm... This might also be something to check on, indeed. Though, the latest Amiga Forever is supposed to run on Mac, too... I wouldn't think they'd do anything TOO proprietary!

Nah, the ROM with AF are protected.. Cloanto payd to distribute Amiga ROMs, so I guess they wanted to protect them.. Not really sure tho about this, AFAIK, the ROMs need to be a certain size, otherwise the checksum should fail ?

Anyway, UAE set the standard for Amiga ROM and disk images, so if a rom works on WinUAE, then it works on MacUAE or LinUAE as well..
~
~

Offline seer

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2002, 10:01:41 PM »
@ Madhattr

Try this;

Chip Ram 2MB
Fast Ram 0Mb
Slow Ram 0Mb (Really, only needed to run very old and strange Amiga games/programs ?)
Z3 Fast 0Mb
RTG gfx 0Mb

CPU 68020

Rom Kick31 (If it's called like that)
Keyfile

No Hardrives

Floppy; Workbench3.X.ADF in Df0:

No sound
~
~

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2002, 10:07:26 PM »
http://www.gimp.nu/files/drew/images/snapshot1.gif

i have managed to get UAE to load what you see on that screen shot it prettty much sits there in that animation an plays the animation. how can i get it to load the workbench i think it is? or the graphical interface or dektop?

I have also loaded the 1.3 and i see the purple disk but on both they just sit there and play the animtion

Offline seer

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2002, 10:17:13 PM »
Well, in WinUAE you press F12 and select a floppy (.ADF) image and the emulator starts to load the disks.. Not sure if F12 works on the Linux version...

But there's a tab labeled "floppy" so I guess you could select a disk there... Locate an Image labeled workbench30.adf or workbench31.adf (or similar) and restart the emulator if done this way..
~
~

Offline Ilwrath

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2002, 10:20:06 PM »
i have managed to get UAE to load what you see on that screen shot it prettty much sits there in that animation an plays the animation. how can i get it to load the workbench i think it is? or the graphical interface or dektop?

Got it-
Nice looking window manager....

Anyhow, from the UAE control panel, you should be able to select an ADF file for drive df0, and it'll boot that.  Pick the "Workbench 3.1" ADF (or whatever it's called in that package) and let it boot up.  It'll drop you off in Workbench, and you can start playing around from there.  You can also insert the "Extras 3.1" disk in df1 and play with preferences and things.  

Once you get used to it a bit, you can add a Hard Drive config, and actually install the OS to it. :-)

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2002, 10:32:19 PM »
Ahhhhhh :)
ive loaded the workbench file that must of been what was stoping me from loading the Desktop. but now that i have my amiga desktop where are the games :-P im woundering cause i am a big linux game fan and i see some of the games coming out for amiga and im like what? i thouht they were dead! Payback, myst, worms armadedon. linux still hasnt gotten ports of those games, though i hear payback is almost done for linux

is there any good game demos cause all i think i have on my virtual amiga computer now is nothing is there a good internet browser i could use? or is there one? and is this the type of #### i saw in the movies hackers hah, i love that movie

Offline Paul_Gadd

• Show only replies by Paul_Gadd
    • http://elunatic.host.sk/start.html
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2002, 10:38:24 PM »
is there a good internet browser i could use?

That totally depends on your web browsing habits, if your used to IE/Opera/netscape and other browsers then sadly you will be disappointed but anyway there is 3 Aweb,Voyager and Ibrowse.

Gamewise go to back to the roots at HERE or visit Google and search for Amiga ADF games/demos, hardfiles etc.