Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AMD system with Amiga Forever 6  (Read 8447 times)

Description:

Offline TrinityTopic starter

• Show only replies by Trinity
Re: AMD system with Amiga Forever 6
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2004, 03:55:37 AM »
@Thomas:

Offline Thomas

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2004, 01:38:13 PM »

It depends on the device:

- Input devices like keyboard, mouse, joystick: WinUAE uses the Windows drivers and allows to use the devices as if they were original Amiga devices. Tablets work as a mouse (AFAIK).

- Storage devices: harddisks work through Windows drivers, CD/DVD-ROMs/writers need AmigaOS drivers

- Printers: both Windows and AmigaOS drivers are needed

- Scanners: only SCSI scanners are supported. You need AmigaOS drivers and ASPI for Windows.

- USB: WinUAE does not allow direct access to the USB bus, so devices not matching into one of the above are not supported (e.g. USB scanners).

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Richec

• Show only replies by Richec
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2004, 04:52:54 PM »
As a lurking, I have to agree with the WinUAE concenses, it's the best so far. I tried the Linux based solutions and they are a lot of work to get running and are still too limited on what can be done with them (not to mention unstable). I have Amithlon, but due to the dispute between the developers and insuing law suits... it's dead. Doesn't work on most of the hardware combinations out there and it certinaly doesn't work that well on my laptop. For that matter WinUAE 2.8.27 runs dog slow on my 64bit laptop too, but it smokes on my Athlon 2100+ desktop. Ofcourse I asked for trouble buying an e-machine laptop I guess . Anyway, booting from the CD only is not the answer, it needs to run on top of some OS, as has already been said many times.

Regards

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2004, 05:30:09 PM »
@Thomas ...sounds like there are a few more improvements

Offline Holley

• Show only replies by Holley
    • http://www.Front-Runners.net
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2004, 09:18:30 PM »
Yeah, it's well developed (so more will probably follow in time), like I said before it's worth getting the latest release, as it's had at least one major update since AF6 went on sale (just install over the current version).

I have to say it feels like a high end '040 or low end '060 (I know, big difference! It depends what you're doing though) on my 1200MHz P3 laptop.
\\"Sex, drugs and rock n\\\' roll are very good for you\\" - Ian Dury

Offline Thomas

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2004, 11:54:39 PM »

I have to say it feels like a high end '040 or low end '060 (I know, big difference! It depends what you're doing though) on my 1200MHz P3 laptop.

Are you talking about Knoppix booted from the AF6 CD or about WinUAE running on Windows ?

Having my A4000 with CyberstormPPC 060/50MHz, PPC 233MHz and Voodoo3 3000 standing next to my AMD Athlon 1100MHz and Geforce 400MX gfx card, WinUAE is more a high-high-high-high-end 060 when compared to the real thing.

UnixUAE on Knoppix is certainly much slower, because it lacks the JIT engine.

Bye,
Thomas

« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2004, 03:25:28 AM »
@ the thread :

Offline DethKnight

• Show only replies by DethKnight
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2004, 04:11:07 AM »
Amiga forever is all you need. I run it on my athlon 64 rig it works great you dont need anything else at all, period.

Good, I'm hoping my prescott 3.0E "pimp-rig" will be enough to run AF6 w/out Billy G's evil aura in the box.
wanted; NONfunctional A3K keyboard wanted

Offline Holley

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2004, 12:36:50 AM »
@Thomas - This is WinUAE under XP, when I do stuff like convert a large-ish JPG under PPaint.  About 4 years back you could guarantee WinUAE on a 200MHz Pentium would be almost dead on A500 speed, but the JIT (and AGA/040 emulation) have come a long way sonce then :-)

As for AF6 being enough on it's own, thats good to hear - how easy is it to sort networking, display etc?

Offline Wibbly

• Show only replies by Wibbly
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2004, 05:59:08 PM »
Good Grief. If you already have an Amiga, ust get your AMD and load up WinXP. Download WinUAE, read a few instructions, use transdisk to get your Amiga OS across and get WinUAE to make you a 512Mb hardfile. Use WinUAE to set up your Amiga as you want it, put your OS disks in the WinUAE floppy drives and format your hardfile and install the OS to it. Enable BSD socket library, download LHA, MUI and AWeb2 off of Aminet, and put these files in a blank directory, and go to WinUAE's harddrive page and add said directory as a hardrive. Use WinRAR or something to extract Lha from the archive into that directory so you can use it to extract the other files.

Each time a program needs certain libraries, just get them off of Aminet and stick 'em in the directory hard drive. Before you know it, you'll be online from your Amiga, downloading RTG, games off of Back to the Roots and appreciating that your PC is much more Amiga than your Amiga ever was, and cost you a fraction of the money.

« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2004, 08:46:54 PM »
@

Offline Holley

« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2004, 09:17:44 PM »
One thing included in AF6 is 'Amiga Explorer' which is dead handy for transfers from a real amiga ...

BTW the LHA archive on Aminet is a self-extracting one, so no need for WinRAR.  Also OS3.9 includes 'unpacker' which does LHA LZX and so on (and is nice and easy to use).

Wibbly - remember that AF6 includes all the ROM files (including the CD32 one), so you get peace of mind that you're working legally, and it gives a head start on configs :-)

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2004, 04:35:33 AM »
@

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2004, 10:55:17 PM »
Hi

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2004, 03:10:18 AM »
@

Offline Holley

« Reply #59 from previous page: August 03, 2004, 09:07:19 PM »
lol, sounds like the learning curve is starting :-)

Might be a good idea to start a new thread should you get stuck again ... most problems that people new to Amiga emulation have are down to knowledge of Workbench, as you've already had an amiga you should find it much easier!

Anyway, hope you're enjoying yourself :-D

BTW Make sure you set Windows to auto-update BTW, there's always something new trying to get in (had about 70 PCs get Agobot at work here).  If you do web browsing in Windows (under any browser) get yourself a copy of Spybot (http://safer-networking.org) as it saves the smaller bugs from coming in.