Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sonic the hedgehog?  (Read 14575 times)

Description:

Offline Rebel-CD32

• Show only replies by Rebel-CD32
Re: Sonic the hedgehog?
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
I think Mr. Nutz does a great job of OCS dual-playfield mode without resorting to using brown as a base colour in the graphics, in my opinion it's closer to how I imagine Sonic on the Amiga to look than Kid Chaos, even though that game shares the same awesome control and spinning attack method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yYM9aFnpwjM#t=2322s
Amiga user forever.

Offline Mrs Beanbag

• Show only replies by Mrs Beanbag
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »
I've just created a Green Hill Zone tileset for the Mr Beanbag engine.  Now I've got foreground graphics and music, I can put together a demo this week.  It'll be Mr Beanbag running around in it at first, though.
Signature intentionally left blank

Offline Akiko

• Show only replies by Akiko
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2012, 11:42:36 PM »
@Mrs Beanbag

Sounds good. :)

Offline fishy_fiz

• Show only replies by fishy_fiz
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2012, 12:52:44 AM »
Actually Kid Chaos has about 160 colors for backgrounds, etc. and not just copper gradients. Pretty clever use of a 2bit playfield (yes 2, not a typo :)). There's a few interviews with the author around the net where its spoken about.

As for the fixation with rave/techno type music, Id hazzard a guess it stems from the fact that its easy to write and requires no real talent. It can also be written with small samples so has a small memory footprint.
(sorry, being that Ive been an actual musician for over 20 years I have a particular dislike of that sort of garbage :))
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 01:14:51 AM by fishy_fiz »
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 03:49:19 AM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;674827
As for the fixation with rave/techno type music, Id hazzard a guess it stems from the fact that its easy to write and requires no real talent. It can also be written with small samples so has a small memory footprint.
(sorry, being that Ive been an actual musician for over 20 years I have a particular dislike of that sort of garbage :))
Heh, I hear you there ;D Though I'd also point out that rave/techno music is pretty well geared towards a four-channel wavetable chip, you can have three music loops going and one left over for sound effects without it being too noticeable.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline Amiga_Nut

• Show only replies by Amiga_Nut
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2012, 08:21:55 AM »
Actually Kid Chaos has about 160 colors for backgrounds, etc. and not just copper gradients. Pretty clever use of a 2bit playfield (yes 2, not a typo :)). There's a few interviews with the author around the net where its spoken about.

Nah there is still talent in every musical genre, there is Orbital and then there is everyone else also rans in the field of trancey music :)

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »
Yeah to be fair there is a small percentage of people involved in the genre that have some talent, but it is a genre that doesnt require a lot of skill to produce something, as is demonstrated by the vast majority of examples out there  :)
Near as I can tell this is where I write something under the guise of being innocuous, but really its a pot shot at another persons/peoples choice of Amiga based systems. Unfortunately only I cant see how transparent and petty it makes me look.

Offline Mrs Beanbag

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2012, 01:07:11 PM »

It's more the foreground graphics than the background that are the problem, it's more difficult to use copper tricks there.  But I just loaded up a screenshot and counted the colours - after removing the player character and the info panels (which will be sprites) there are 36 unique colours.  Not quite 160.  Still impressive though, for a 2 bit playfield.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2012, 01:25:16 PM »
The 160 I mentioned was actually quoting (paraphrasing?) the author in an interview I read. I dont have the url handy, but I believe it was codetappers site. He interviews a few authors of commercial games. Pretty interesting reading in my opinion :)

Perhaps it was "up to 160".

Oh, any thanks for Mr. Beanbag by the way :)

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2012, 01:27:37 PM »

Hmmm, I'd have to say that it does look like 3bit graphics, though it is impressive to get that amount of blitting... Perhaps only possible with a 2bit playfield...

That's a bit harsh, There are three types of music:

1. Music as art, the exquisite works of genius.
2. Music as entertainment, the crap my girl friend listens to...

Both are valid and often crossover!

Oh, then there's the third type... Utter ****e that has no purpose or value... I believe this is often referred to as black eyed peas... But I doubt anyone actually listens to that.

Offline fishy_fiz

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »
Haha, yeah I'll admit my particular dislike of processed garbage, and music created with a few buttons on some iPad app, etc. (consumerism stuff) will probably skew my responses sometimes. I think Im just getting old :)

When I was a lad we didnt have no fancy computers to make our music for us,..... and so on and so forth  :)

Offline Thorham

• Show only replies by Thorham
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2012, 02:04:39 PM »
They've been making crappy stuff of all kinds in all times, and music is no exception. Quality is scarce :)

Offline Mrs Beanbag

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;675001
Hmmm, I'd have to say that it does look like 3bit graphics, though it is impressive to get that amount of blitting... Perhaps only possible with a 2bit playfield...

No blitting is required on the background layer.  The copper can be used to scroll each scanline sideways independently.

Speaking of music, there are plenty of examples of good rave/techno/dance music in Amiga games (not to mention demos), it's the over-reliance on this style during the early '90s Amiga scene that got a little tiresome.  Megadrive games of the same period, including Sonic, had different musical styles to suit each level's atmosphere.

Offline commodorejohn

• Show only replies by commodorejohn
    • http://www.commodorejohn.com
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2012, 04:28:34 PM »
Quote from: fishy_fiz;675003
When I was a lad we didnt have no fancy computers to make our music for us,..... and so on and so forth  :)
"Why, when I was a boy, we cut our tapes with scissors and strung together every note by hand! And by God, we liked it!"
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/MT-32/D-10, Oberheim Matrix-6, Yamaha DX7/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini, Ensoniq Mirage/SQ-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Hohner String Performer

"\'Legacy code\' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Offline psxphill

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
Quote from: Mrs Beanbag;675008
No blitting is required on the background layer. The copper can be used to scroll each scanline sideways independently.

Not when you want a parallax effect without using dual playfield, which limits you to 7 colours on the foreground.

You can use 2 bitplanes for the background and 4 for the foreground in EHB and scroll the whole screen with the scroll registers but you have to shift the background the opposite way to compensate. That gives you 4 background colours, 7 foreground colours but also another 7 that are dimmer. You can also use half brite in the foreground layer to dim the background.

You need to set the palette properly or it will look wrong (you need to duplicate all the foreground colours across the background apart from the foreground see through colour). Although you can use this for other tricks.

If there were seperate scroll per bitplane then it would be easier, but there are only two (one for odd and one for even).

Offline golem

• Show only replies by golem
« Reply #59 from previous page: January 09, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;675001
Utter ****e that has no purpose or value... I believe this is often referred to as black eyed peas... But I doubt anyone actually listens to that.

Ha ha. Well said bloodline. I never like posting in order to express dislike or negative emotions but I make exception for the Black Eyed Peas :) (maybe it's just because I'm becoming an old man!)

A1200 desktop, Blizzard 1260, OS3.9BB2, Indivision Mk II, SCSI Jaz, Ethernet
A1200 desktop, Blizzard 1230, OS3.1, Ethernet
A500, OS1.3