Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Totally new to Amigas. Picked up a A1200HD/40 with a CSA twelve guage accelerator  (Read 5463 times)

Description:

Offline xeron

• Show only replies by xeron
    • http://www.petergordon.org.uk
It sounds like you're nearly there. The amigas operating system traditionally provides "scsi.device", which controls onboard SCSI and IDE drives (the name is still scsi.device for legacy compatability, even though it also gets used for IDE drives). Is the drives SCSI ID definately 1?

You're right though, it doesn't seem like anywhere on the internet has any documentation for setting up the SCSI... :-( When I get home (which will be around 6:30pm GMT), i'll write a program to list all resident devices on your system, and you can post the list back and we can look for likely candidates.
Playstation Network ID: xeron6

Thanks Tickly.
I'm not 100% sure on what the SCSI ID should be. At the back of my drive there is one of those little click...click buttons which selects a number form 1 to 7. I had it set on 1, so I figure this was the ID.
I edited the actual cd0 file (in my devs/dosdrivers/) using DOpus. I tried using the method described above (from the WB/icon etc) but all what came up in the window  was the text 'DONOTWAIT', so yeah hmm I left it how it was.
Man all this is so confussing. I admit I haven't really done any work on the amiga in the last few days, so I still have  lots of things to learn ie, functions,uses and meanings of commands in the shell etc.

Any way it's 11pm at my end and time to say goodnight.

Thank again,
Pete

Offline xeron

"DONOTWAIT" etc.

Yes, some mountlists place the unit and device inside the text file, others place it in the icon tooltypes. Either way should work fine.

Tickly wrote:
It sounds like you're nearly there. The amigas operating system traditionally provides "scsi.device", which controls onboard SCSI and IDE drives (the name is still scsi.device for legacy compatability, even though it also gets used for IDE drives). Is the drives SCSI ID definately 1?

You're right though, it doesn't seem like anywhere on the internet has any documentation for setting up the SCSI... :-( When I get home (which will be around 6:30pm GMT), i'll write a program to list all resident devices on your system, and you can post the list back and we can look for likely candidates.

Hey Tickly, have you had any luck finding a progy that might help me identify what devices are attached to my  A1200. I've got a feeling  that  i don't have any drivers installed for the csa1250.  

Pete

Offline vortexau

• Show only replies by vortexau
    • http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~vortexau
pete_pumpkin said:
.....The disks I inserted were DD Amiga disks. Most were 'cover' disks, and yeah I think I remember some message saying 'non DOS disks' etc. So what I think I'll do is put one of the disks in and try and format it. ......

What they meant was- games disks commonly use a custom boot block; the way to use THESE is to insert one while the machine is off and thus, BOOT from that floppy itself! Another way, if the machine is running from its HD System Partition then; after inserting that game disk do a System Reset (Ctrl+Left_A+Right_A. The system will BOOT from the internal Floppy Drive as the FIRST preference.

WARNING- ReFORMATING a Games Disk with a CUSTOM Boot Block will render that game inopperable!
The games CD I got is full of directories (A-Z) with files ending in .dms and also quite a few LHA ; which from memory is amigas compression format ?

DMS Files will self-extract to Floppy. ie: Create a complete (sometimes- Self Booting) Floppy!
LHA Files are compressed and can be expanded to Hard Drive or to Floppy!
The power supply that I'm using looks to be an A500 type.

A500 PSUs have a higher output than the original A1200 ones, and are prefered for use with an expanded A1200!
I clicked on 'reply' in the last answered post. I was hoping to be able to scroll thru some of the replies whilst I write this thread.

THAT puts you in a POST-with-the post being replied to-visible ONLY-mode!
-vortexau; who\\\'s still waiting! (-for AmigaOS4! ;-) )
savage Ami bridge parody

Offline alx

A500 PSUs have a higher output than the original A1200 ones, and are prefered for use with an expanded A1200!

Are you sure of this?  I've got an A500 - could I use the PSU to give the 1200 extra juice?

Offline Trezzer

• Show only replies by Trezzer
    • http://www.amiga.dk
Edit: although, unless you get the motherboard fixed (or its already been fixed), you might have to unplug and re-insert the network card every reboot.

There is a software fix for this on Aminet. Using it myself :)

Offline vortexau

pete_pumpkin asked:
Hey Tickly, have you had any luck finding a progy that might help me identify what devices are attached to my A1200. I've got a feeling that i don't have any drivers installed for the csa1250.

May I commend a Tool (Amiga-speak for "progy") called- SysInspector?

Various areas of your running system can be examined with this tool. As can be seen from THIS Screen Grab; the Tasks running on my A2000 include the actual tool- SysInspector itself, gvpscsi.device and 2060scsi.device (forth from bottom). These TWO scsi.devices are the ones on my system (the GVP one currently is non-functional).
The trackdisk.devices are for my two Floppy Drives.

savage Ami bridge parody

Offline vortexau

alx asked:
   A500 PSUs have a higher output than the original A1200 ones, and are prefered for... an expanded A1200!

Are you sure of this? I've got an A500 - could I use the PSU to give the 1200 extra juice?

Short answer- YES! On the base of many A1200 PSUs can be seen the words: "A600" or "A300". The A300 was the ORIGINAL A600 designation.
Meaning: An A1200 is sold with a PSU no more powerful than an A600's!

Long answer- A modified XT(or AT) PSU is an even BETTER proposition!

Diagram

Use J1 & J2 to obtain the +5V, +12V, -12V, GND & GND.

"On the bottom of the Amiga 500 power supply, as well as in the user's
manual, the following diagram of the Amiga 500's connector appears:

+--\___/--+
                     | 3     4 |
                     |    5    |
                     | 2     1 |
                     +---------+

where:
        pin 1: +5VDC
        pin 2: Shield Ground
        pin 3: +12VDC
        pin 4: Signal Ground
        pin 5: -12VDC

With the power supply disconnected from the Amiga, turn the power supply on
and verify these voltages, BEING CAREFUL NOT TO SHORT OUT ANY PINS!  All
voltage readings should be performed with the voltmeter's ground cable
connected to the connector's Signal Ground.  Record each pin's Voltage.

Once satisfied with the Pin versus Voltage supplied, turn off the power
supply and unplug it from the wall.

Cut The Amiga 500 side of the power cord leaving approximately 10 inches
sticking out of the original power supply.  Carefully strip back 1 inch of
cable insulation from each side and then strip each wire, leaving about
1/4 inch of the wire showing.

Crimp then solder onto each wire on the power supply side, a female
connector.  Do the same on the side normally attached to the Amiga 500
except use MALE connectors.  Each side should have a total of 5 wires with
connectors.

Now insert the female connectors into the Molex-style female connector.

Do the same for the male connectors, BUT MAKE SURE THAT THE WIRE COLORS ON
EACH SIDE OF THE CONNECTOR ARE THE SAME WHEN THE MOLEX-type CONNECTORS
ARE PLUGGED INTO EACH OTHER.

Once completed, verify that there are no shorts between the various wires.

Plug the two MOLEX-style connectors together, plug in the Amiga 500's power
supply and re-verify the voltages.  They should be the same as previously
measured.

Once satisfied, your Amiga 500 will operate with the original power supply.
(This allows the A500 PSU to be put back into use as a backup)

Now on to the PC-XT power supply.  Referring to the picture, PC-XTpwr.pic,
    1) Cut the 3, +5VDC power wires on connector J1 and then wire all
       three to a single female connector. Label this +5V.
    2) Cut the +12VDC power wire on connector J2 and then crimp and
       solder it to a female connector. Label this +12V.
    3) Cut the -12VDC power wire on connector J2 and then crimp and
       solder it to a female connector. Label this -12V.
    4) Cut the 4, GND power wires two on J1 and two on J2 and then
       wire all four to a single female connector.
    5) Connect on end of the multistranded hookup wire to a female
       connector and crimp the ring connector on the other end.

Using the Ohmmeter and the previous diagram, determine which pin in the
Amiga 500 power cable MOLEX-type connector carries the +5 volts.  Connect
the PC-XT wire labelled +5V to the same slot in the remaining plastic
connector.  Repeat this procedure for +12V, -12V and Ground.

The multistranded hoodup wire should be inserted into the slot where
connection will be made with the pin labelled SHIELD GROUND.  Remove
one of the screws in the PC-XT power supply, attach the ring connector, and
the put the screw back.

**                         WARNING!!!!!                       **
**  IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE SHIELD CONNECTOR BE SCREWED     **
**  SECURLY TO THE PC-XT POWER SUPPLY.  FAILURE TO DO SO MAY  **
**  DAMAGE THE AMIGA 500.                                     **

Plug the Amiga 500 power cable into the PC-XT power supply, BUT DON'T
ATTACH IT TO THE 500 YET.  ALL POWER CONNECTIONS MUST BE VERIFIED!

Plug the PC-XT power supply into a wall outlet, power it on and using the
voltage meter verify that all of the power connections are the same as
previously checked.

Once satisfied, turn off the power supply, unplug the power supply from the
wall, install the power supply in a suitable case and connect to the
Amiga 500.  If you wish, you may plug the monitor into the switched AC
connector on the power supply.

IF YOU WERE CAREFUL AND VERIFIED ALL CONNECTIONS, TURNING ON THE PC-XT
power supply should result in the complete powering of your system.

IF YOU FAILED TO CHECK THE VOLTAGES, IT IS LIKELY THAT YOU MADE A MISTAKE
AND TURNING ON THE POWER SUPPLY AT THIS TIME WILL RESULT IN THE COMPLETE
LOSS OF YOUR SYSTEM.

(AT PSUs colour-coding is different .... varify pins with an Ohmmeter)"

savage Ami bridge parody

Thanks. I've downloaded sysinspector but it wouldn't work . It says : 'can't open 'window.class  v4.20 or better'.
The site which has the 'sysinspector' tells me that I need 'classact' so I downloaded that, so I done that but I don't know how to install it. when I double click the 'install_classes', it come up with text saying :
'Please copy this procedure along with the strings it uses to the installer script of your classact application. It will take care of installing the classact classes you provided with your application to the user's system'.
What is this 'installer script'

I really don't have a clue where to start :(

So close now :)

Pete

Disregard the above please :). I've been using DOpus too much and the WB not enough. I've managed to install both of the above tools.

But now :) I don't know if the 'sysinspector' is showing me what I specified in the 'cd0' device or what.
Basically the only mention of anything SCSI is 'scsi.device' and 'csascsi.device' I know that the first one is the stock standard one which is assigned by dos, but the second one , is it coming up because the actuall device is 'csascsi' or because that's what I put in the device list (and doesn't work)?
I hope you can understand what I'm saying :)

Pete

Offline xeron

Hmm... it sounds to me like csascsi.device might be the right device, but that something else is wrong (possibly hardware). Try copying the CD0 icon to SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers and rebooting. When you reboot, it won't try to mount CD0, and you can have a look in the list to see if csascsi.device is still there (i'd put money on it being there).

One thing that worries me is that most sites call the connector on the CSA 12 gauge "Feature connector for optional SCSI controller", which makes me think you need an extra bit of hardware for SCSI to work...

Yep, I've removed it from the devs and left the one in the storage. No error message at stsrtup now. And yeah sysinspector still shows the two devices under 'tasks'. the csascsi.device comes up with a 'pri' no 11 (same as the scsi.device), 'type' task, 'state' wait.
Hmm, the actuall board has a 25 pin connector , with a ribbon cable attached to it, ending in a db25 plug type thingy screwed to the shell of the A1200. Hmm, maybe it's got to do with the 'scsi ID' number ?
Any way thanks, I'll have to have a bit more of  a mess around.

Pete

Tickly wrote:

One thing that worries me is that most sites call the connector on the CSA 12 gauge "Feature connector for optional SCSI controller", which makes me think you need an extra bit of hardware for SCSI to work...

Oh, I see what your saying. I hope not, does seem unlikely tho as I've never seen an external scsi interface. Besides why would sysinspector pick it up then,  Hmm.

I guess that blown SM capacitor could be the problem also.

Offline xeron

Well, all the Blizzard cards required an extra module to be plugged in for SCSI to work. It wouldn't be at all surprising if the CSA card did too.

Then again, why would it autoconfigure a csascsi.device without the SCSI module present?

OK, things to try:

1) All possible units from 0 to 7
2) A different SCSI CD-Rom drive
3) Shaking your fists and shouting at it
4) Getting some nimble fingered person to put a new capacitor on
5) Get a PCMCIA network card and copy things from the CD-Rom in your PC

Re: Totally new to Amigas. Picked up a A1200HD/40 with a CSA twelve guage accelerato
« Reply #44 from previous page: March 17, 2003, 10:02:35 AM »
I like #3 :), yeah I'll try those things. But I guess in probability the capacitor could be the problem. I don't think there is any way to fix it tho. The board is like double layerd or somthing and one of the pads are totally desinigrated. It would probably require some kind of schemetics to do the job.
I lot of the .dms files on the CD are over 720 K, (being the limit of the PC0/1 disks), so that's annoying. I guess I could look around for a pcmcia type NIC or something; although I don't really like my chances of installing it properly :(. What about a 'null' modem cable thingy?  that sounds alot easier?

Anyway  I might leave all this for a couple of days as it's just to frustrating. Damn computers: My lite-on burner died today and I've lot the receipt. And the Australian distributer doesn't want to deal with me either : (they only deal with retailers), so G RRR.

Any way I'll try that ID thing for now.

Thanks for the help :)