Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fast ATA Mk-3  (Read 784 times)

Description:

Fast ATA Mk-3
« on: March 16, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »
My nice and shiny new Fasta ATA board came this morning, I've installed it hardware and software wise with no problems at all.

Thing is, it only came with an 80-wire IDE cable and a floppy.  Obviously 3.5" IDE HDD's and CD-RW's need a power cable attatched to them, but I haven't towered the 1200 yet, so I need to know what cable I actually have to buy?

I assume it will split off the floppy power cable, and thats another thing, my PC keyboard adaptor needs the floppy power too.  Me needs a cable with a few plugs on it.

I plugged a 32MB Compact Flash card into a 3.5" IDE adaptor and that needs no power so it booted up fine in Workbench, but it's PIO-0! :-(

Help! Please!

Offline r-tea

• Show only replies by r-tea
    • http://www.ppa.pl/paubase/showuser.php?id=136
Re: Fast ATA Mk-3
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 10:04:22 PM »
I am just wondering how works all this stuff without an pc/at power supply!?
Do you have any, or only A1200 classic power supply?
I think there is no ready-to-use cable adaptor to run HDD and/or cd-rom using standard classic Amiga power supply.
You would need to do such cable on your own.
I think, you better look for a tower case. This is the easiest way.
/* Amiga Pegasos II PPC 750CXe @ 600 */

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 10:50:27 PM »

r-tea wrote:
I am just wondering how works all this stuff without an pc/at power supply!?
Do you have any, or only A1200 classic power supply?
I think there is no ready-to-use cable adaptor to run HDD and/or cd-rom using standard classic Amiga power supply.
You would need to do such cable on your own.
I think, you better look for a tower case. This is the easiest way.

Well, I only have the FastATA fitted at the moment, I don't the the poor standard PSU could cope with the rest of it at the same time. Even if it is an A500 PSU.

I tried to butcher an old PC-AT case this evening with not much luck.  The A1200 is just far too long to fit in a little tower case, it needs a great big full tower methinks.

Offline Redbaron1

• Show only replies by Redbaron1
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 08:49:32 PM »
mdma:

Hello,

Chance is, if you connect too many devices on the Mk-3, your PSU wont last very long. Maybe trying some modifications on your AT PSU to get it works on your Amiga will be a good idea? and not very difficult to do.

You can probably make cable adapter with the number of connectors you need from the same AT PSU too, and plug it to the Amiga 1200 motherboard floppy connector.

Personaly, this is what I would like to do, modding a little ITX case like the Via Sereniti 2000.

You can put all your usual external devices inside, floppy, cdrom, etc... The case is equipped with 1x 5.25" drive bay and 2x 3.5" drive bays for floppy and hard drive, This little case have a small footprint of 11.4" x 11.9" x 3.7" and can stand verticaly and it come with a 100 Watt PSU. The case is not very expensive too.

The big problem at least for me ;-) will be trying to make the proper cabling, a technical challange at some point is probably wait for me if I go ahead so I will need help! :lol:

But I would just love to be able to regroup all my external devices in a little "clean" case to recover some space on my desk. I know I can "tower" my A1200 quite easily but I don't like the idea, I wanna keep my A1200 in its original case.

rEd baRON

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 01:11:10 AM »
Hi rEd baRON,

I've decided to leave everything alone until I have a proper tower case in my posession.

I attempted to butcher an old AT case a few nights ago, but got nowhere fast! :-D