Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Problem with XPert Domino  (Read 839 times)

Description:

Offline SchwaniTopic starter

• Show only replies by Schwani
Problem with XPert Domino
« on: May 26, 2003, 10:22:39 PM »
I have a problem with a XPert Domino Graphic Card.

As soon as I put it into any Zorro-II slot, the Amiga refuses to boot.

Config:
A2000B, Kick 3.1, WB 3.5
phase 5 2060 board (68060@50MHZ, 96MB RAM)
GVP SCSI, 240 MB Drive
A2320 FlickerFixer

Without the Domino the system works immaculate!
Whats wrong, where do I have to look?

thx for answers...
Schwani.  :-?

Offline patrik

Re: Problem with XPert Domino
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 07:46:32 AM »
Have you tried removing all other expansions and then testing if the Domino card works?

Btw, if I understand you correctly you are using a GVP SCSI-controller for your harddrive instead of the SCSI-controller on the 2060-card. To get better performance I would recommend that you used the SCSI-controller on the 2060-card as it is able to DMA directly into the 32-bit fastram.

/Patrik

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 10:09:54 AM »
No I haven't, but will today in the evening.

@2060:
I currently use the harddrive on the GVP, for test purposes only. When the whole system runs, I will mount the finite drive (1GB) to the 2060.

Schwani.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 09:29:18 PM »
@patrik:

Well, now I've located the problem.
The Domino Gfx Card does not work with the GVP scsi controller.

I removed the GVP and mounted the harddrive to the 2060.

But the whole thing won't work right either.
Because of the old fashion design of the Domino card, I would only be able to use 8MB Fast RAM! (referring to the readme on the install disk)

Unfortunatly I did not know that before buying on ebay...

However,  I think I try a Retina Gfx Card...

thx for your help,
Schwani.

Offline patrik

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 09:25:03 PM »
I am quite sure that the 8MB limitation applies to FastRAM which is added to the 8MB of address space reserved for memory expansion in the ZorroII-memorymap (0x00200000 to 0x009FFFFF). This address space is used by all 16-bits FastRAM expansions like ZorroII SCSI-cards with onboard memory and quite a lot of the old accelerators with support of a maximum of 8MB 32-bit FastRAM will map their 32-bit FastRAM there too.

The Domino card probably wants to map the 1MB(?) of onboard memory it got into the ZorroII memory address space and thats why it says on the disk that you cant have more than 8MB of FastRAM. But as you have a 2060-cards which supports up to 128MB of memory, that 8MB address-space for ZorroII memory should be free as the 2060-card must map its memory into the 32-bit memory expansion space (0x08000000 to 0x10000000) or somewhere else where there is 128MB of address space free as it cant fit the 128MB into the 8MB ZorroII memory expansion space.

Ok, enough about memoryspace :). What happends when you try using the Domino card when you have added more than 8MB of 32-bit FastRAM to the 2060?

What RTG-software have you tried so far? According to The Big Book Of Amiga Hardware the card is supported under CyberGraphics V2, Picasso96 and EGS. Of those I would recommend Picasso96 as it is the most modern RTG-software of these.

Btw, did you have any FastRAM on your GVP SCSI-controller?

/Patrik

Offline patrik

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 09:27:18 PM »
I dont know why my reply to your last posting ended up before your posting, but be sure to read it anyway.

/Patrik

Offline patrik

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 09:31:45 PM »
@webmaster, moderator

Replies doesnt get added in the right order, now I have posted two replies and they didnt appear in the end of this discussion.

*edititing* Ofcourse now when I am not posting anything relevant to the discussion about this topic, this post appears at the end of the discussion. But if you check the earlier posts you can see that my answer to Schwanis last post is located before Schwanis post.

/Patrik

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 07:40:02 PM »
@Patrik

I've tried Picasso96 (RTG) these days...and now it works!

@GVP: There are 4MB FastRAM, but not activated.

Thanks a lot for your help!

/Schwani.