Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Windows fudges it again  (Read 5942 times)

Description:

Offline psxphill

Re: Windows fudges it again
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
Quote from: kedawa;594611
I don't think I'd even want to play MP3s on an Amiga. Stick a modern HDD in one and you could have a sizeable collection of uncompressed music that requires very little computational power to play.

Isn't it hypocritical to put a modern huge hard drive in an amiga to allow you store audio in an inefficient format? If using modern hardware in a PC is so bad.

Quote from: ElPolloDiabl;594640
Also with the virtual memory turned off it crashed in some tests. Unacceptable and kludgy.

I'm sticking with 32-bit for at least two more years, I shouldn't have to mess around with virtual machines to run old software,

Yeah, I wouldn't disable virtual memory or limit it to a ram disk, no computer handles resource exhaustion well. The reason of course is that it's very expensive to write software that copes, when the easier solution is to make sure you have a large enough margin that you don't need to worry.

Windows handles low memory situations better than AmigaOS ever did. I don't use virtual machines for compatibility, because there isn't any old software that I would want to use. If a company doesn't think it's worth making a windows 7 64 bit compatible version then the software probably isn't very useful.

Windows 7 64 is generally more stable than 32 bit. Device drivers must be signed & they seem to get tested better. It's also more resistant to virus'

Going from kickstart 1.2 to 1.3 affected compatiblity, so did going from 1.3 to 2 & 3. The solution to that was a kickstart switcher, or softkicking/loading via mmu. I don't see how this would be different to a dual boot or virtual machine.

The main difference between windows and amigaos, is that windows is under active development to keep it modern. For amigaos we have 4.0, which needs to use a virutal machine to run old software.

Windows 7 64 bit ultimate/enterprise comes with xp mode, which pretty seemlessly runs software in a VM (like MacOS does for old software). You can have 32 bit applications in windows on your desktop, 32bit tray icons even appear in the system tray.

Offline Fats

• Show only replies by Fats
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2010, 02:07:55 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan;594621
NASA sends humans into space.  They need state of the art technology.

What NASA needs is anything but state-of-the-art. For mission critical projects they will only use parts that are made with a stable process and that has proven their reliability over time. They won't use the latest, greatest multi-core CPU.

If I were an astronaut and I saw a C64 w/ cables and shit hanging out of the back as the device responsible for sending me hurtling through the atmosphere, I would quit my job immediately.

AFAIK you are not an astronaut so you won't need to quit. When you would be an astronaut you would know that you have to use the equipment they provide to you and that it would be tested in-depth to be sure it fulfills the military specs.

greets,
Staf.
Trust me...                                              I know what I\'m doing

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
    • Show only replies by Karlos
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
Quote from: Fats;594685
What NASA needs is anything but state-of-the-art. For mission critical projects they will only use parts that are made with a stable process and that has proven their reliability over time. They won't use the latest, greatest multi-core CPU.

I seem to recall they used radiation-hardened PPC running at around 33MHz for many of their recent probes.
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
    • Show only replies by bloodline
    • http://www.troubled-mind.com
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2010, 02:23:54 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594688
I seem to recall they used radiation-hardened PPC running at around 33MHz for many of their recent probes.
Actually I think it was slower than that.

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 02:27:40 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;594691
Actually I think it was slower than that.

You're probably right, I think 33MHz was the upper limit even: Info here (PDF document).

-edit-

Holy crap, it's tolerant to over 1M rad (10,000 Gy)...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:35:54 PM by Karlos »
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 03:17:21 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594692
You're probably right, I think 33MHz was the upper limit even: Info here (PDF document).

-edit-

Holy crap, it's tolerant to over 1M rad (10,000 Gy)...
What is a more beautiful thought (for me at least), is that once the Earth and human race have been destroyed by our dying sun... one of the few things that will survive is the odd little RCA1802 CPU that has faithfully powered the Voyager spacecraft for over 30years...

It could well be that the two Voyager's will be the only evidence of our ever having existed... It's like a gothic romance in it's beauty :)

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2010, 03:23:19 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;594708
What is a more beautiful thought (for me at least), is that once the Earth and human race have been destroyed by our dying sun... one of the few things that will survive is the odd little RCA1802 CPU that has faithfully powered the Voyager spacecraft for over 30years...

It could well be that the two Voyager's will be the only evidence of our ever having existed... It's like a gothic romance in it's beauty :)

Well, it will survive, but the radiological thermocouple power supplies that keep them functioning will have long decayed past the point where the probe operates. Travelling at the speed they do, any chance meeting with a lump of Oort cloud debris (remote, but there is a huge thickness of it to traverse) would presumably leave only a slowly expanding shell of particles as the evidence of our ever having existed.
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2010, 03:26:26 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594714
Well, it will survive, but the radiological thermocouple power supplies that keep them functioning will have long decayed past the point where the probe operates. Travelling at the speed they do, any chance meeting with a lump of Oort cloud debris (remote, but there is a huge thickness of it to traverse) would presumably leave only a slowly expanding shell of particles as the evidence of our ever having existed.
Not quite as beautiful... but tragic none the less.. :-D

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 03:35:54 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;594716
Not quite as beautiful... but tragic none the less.. :-D

The Earth and our race with it (if we don't become properly space-faring by then) will have been killed off by the Sun long before it's epic final expansion. IIRC, within about 2G years, thermal output will have increased enough to heat the Earth to levels uninhabitable to all but the toughest extremophile micro-organisms anyway. Well, at least those that can survive in water vapour droplets, since we're talking about total evaporation of the oceans here.

That's assuming that the gradual changes of the inner planet orbits haven't resulted in a massive collision incident between any of them by then, either.
int p; // A

Offline Speelgoedmannetje

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2010, 03:37:23 PM »
NASA sends humans into space.  They need state of the art technology.   If I were an astronaut and I saw a C64 w/ cables and shit hanging out of the back as the device responsible for sending me hurtling through the atmosphere, I would quit my job immediately.

Yes, that was STATE OF THE ART.  It was also dangerous, risky, and HOLY SHIT caliber to do what they did back then..  Theres alot better technology now.  Lets use it, k?   We don't need another Apollo 13 debacle because nostalgic zealots don't want to use new gear and would rather use Fossiltron9000 to send people to the moon.

I worked for the Cleveland Clinic.  Its a pretty big deal, that clinic.  They exist overseas.   They're everywhere.  They don't use low spec'd machines.  Shit is top notch.   It's like that for a reason.   Cutting edge technology = success and efficiency.   Good luck running patient databases on a Pentium II w/ 128mb RAM.  

Or those real-time monitoring databases with alert software.  Yeah that will go well.

"HOW DID THE PATIENT DIE?"  

"WELL YOU SEE, THE AMIGA CRASHED BECAUSE WE DIDNT HAVE ENOUGH RAM TO DO A TRIPLE BYPASS SURGERY AND STORE ALL THE DATA IN REAL TIME AND THEN THE MONITORS FROM 1982 STARTED FLICKERING AND WE COULDN'T SEE HIS VITALS.  WE THOUGHT MAYBE THE 286 RUNNING ALL THE OTHER GEAR WOULD WORK OUT BUT WIN 3.1 CRASHED. SRY"

No they're not.  Sounds like you're just jealous your Amiga doesnt run youtube so well.

Yet again, you bust out the fail.  What do you do when your Amiga isn't fast enough?  YOU BUY MORE RAM AND ACCELERATORS.  JUICE IT UP, GO GO GO.  

The "if it isnt fast enough, upgrade" motto has existed since computers were made.  Apple, Commodore, Amiga, IBM, all of them.  Quit being a bigot.  You updated your Amiga at least once when it needed more oomph, and you know it.

get out.  I think there are chimps with higher levels of thought than you. :laughing:

QFSPE

(Quoted For Stupidest Post Ever)
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2010, 03:46:40 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594719
The Earth and our race with it (if we don't become properly space-faring by then) will have been killed off by the Sun long before it's epic final expansion. IIRC, within about 2G years, thermal output will have increased enough to heat the Earth to levels uninhabitable to all but the toughest extremophile micro-organisms anyway. Well, at least those that can survive in water vapour droplets, since we're talking about total evaporation of the oceans here.

That's assuming that the gradual changes of the inner planet orbits haven't resulted in a massive collision incident between any of them by then, either.
Ooooh, this is a cheery thread...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2010, 03:54:35 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;594725
Ooooh, this is a cheery thread...

Don't worry, I expect we'll have wiped ourselves out with an all-out global thermonuclear war and concurrent release of doomsday biological / chemical agents long before any of that happens.

In spite of which, life itself will go on. In the glacial, radioactive wasteland that ensue, deinococcus radiodurans will almost certainly live on along with a range of other unusually hardy organisms. After the dirt laden skies eventually clear, photosynthesis will pick up again. At least in those organisms that can withstand the new UV rich daylight. And in the hundreds of millions of years it takes sapient life to develop, you, I and the rest of the complex life that once inhabited the planet should have formed a nice new hydrocarbon resource for them to wipe themselves out over too...
int p; // A

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2010, 04:01:54 PM »
Look on the bright side though. Microsoft will die with us...
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2010, 04:06:26 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594730
Look on the bright side though. Microsoft will die with us...
Yay! Every cloud has a silver lining...

cue Karlos photoshopping an image of the death of Khan with Steve Balmers distended face pasted in...

Offline Karlos

• Sockologist
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2010, 04:14:25 PM »
Quote from: bloodline;594735
Yay! Every cloud has a silver lining...

cue Karlos photoshopping an image of the death of Khan with Steve Balmers distended face pasted in...

No time. Will this do?

Btw, photoshop? What do you think I am, a graphic designer or summat? :lol:
int p; // A

Offline bloodline

• Master Sock Abuser
« Reply #44 from previous page: November 27, 2010, 04:17:41 PM »
Quote from: Karlos;594738
No time. Will this do?

Btw, photoshop? What do you think I am, a graphic designer or summat? :lol:
Photoshopping the verb, not the application ;)