Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: SMPTE Time Code / MOTU Issues  (Read 2880 times)

Description:

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
Re: SMPTE Time Code / MOTU Issues
« Reply #14 from previous page: February 11, 2016, 12:42:37 AM »
If you use MIDI Time Code or MIDI Clock to sync two (or more) devices, then you don't need to stripe anything.  It's not like SMPTE where you have to sacrifice a track.  These digital devices are frame accurate and know where they are in the song.  You just have to assign one to be the master and send out its position to all the others.

What might happen if Bars & Pipes is the master is that it might take a few seconds for the outboard gear to figure out that everything has started when you press play, then they will "catch up" and then everything will be smooth.  Because of this you might want to leave a few blank bars at the beginning of your composition.

Try the "UNSTICK" tool for your stuck note problem.  If that doesn't work there might be something in one of the extra tool packages (there are AmigaGuide documents in those that give descriptions of the tools).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:01:41 AM by ral-clan »
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline part12studiosTopic starter

• Show only replies by part12studios
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 04:07:50 AM »
Awesome that all sounds totally doable.. it's not like i need the HDD to be instant.. just as long as I can give the system a few seconds of lead time if i wanted to punch in the middle of a song.  

I'll dig into that unstuck feature for sure.  I am far from fluent in BnP, but the plugins I have come across so far like the arpeggiator is so cool.  The internal sampler was so nice that it supports Pitch Bend which tiger cub didn't.  

Oh ok on the BnP subject.. I know a separate thread might be better.. but does anyone know if there is a way to send beat controled CC values?  

Like imagine you wanted to have a tremolo effect slaved to tempo.. or imagine a modulation of pitch or something.  Sure maybe you could manually program it but i'm just wondering if you wanted to on the fly do something like.. sine, saw, square ranges would be really awesome and seems relatively straight forward to do, but just something I've never seen.

I'm interested in being able to send sysex messages to synths and if this can be done..  it would be awesome to be able to do that.

Thanks
Caleb

Offline Ral-Clan

• Show only replies by Ral-Clan
    • http://www3.sympatico.ca/clarke-santin/
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 08:55:18 PM »
I'm sure there is a Bars & Pipes tool that can translate one type of MIDI message to another....I don't know which one it is, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than one way to do this with B&P.
Music I've made using Amigas and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com

Offline pneron

• Show only replies by pneron
    • http://www.incrediblesteps.com
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »
I have a full studio of MOTU stuff and old Amiga music (Dr.T /B&P).  I use the Amiga as a slave for SFX that is sync via MTC/SMPTE to my other DAWs.
A2000: OS3.1.4|Picasso II|Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 Sunrize cards|HydraNexus|Cocolino|Gotex Floppy Emulator |Mac OSX (main DAW) | Windows
Incredible Steps Film and Music

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2016, 02:21:33 PM »
what part of MA are you at?  I'm just south of Boston.  Cool to hear other people using their amigas in music these days.  It's cool to see i'm not the only one treating the amiga like an effects processor :)   8bit grit..

I haven't updated this thread in awhile.. The studio has evolved a bit since that picture, but yes its pretty much the same layout.  

I did get SMPTE/MTC working with Music-X in the video below and I also got the Amiga (with Music-X) to slave to my Korg D1600 as well which is MTC sent directly from the D1600 not requiring the use of a midiman syncman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdecP2zCAYs  

I have to dig a little deeper to see what it takes to get BnP to slave to MTC.  I read the manual on it some but haven't had time to get in there and really apply it..

Offline pneron

• Show only replies by pneron
    • http://www.incrediblesteps.com
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 10:50:31 AM »
Good stuff Caleb...your setup brings back a lot of old memories from the Analog world!!

I am rebuilding my A2000 for a film project right now and really busy with that project.
My current A2000 has 3x AD516 Sunrize cards linked to B&P. I have a ton of old Amiga sequencers/samplers that I rarely use anymore (DR T, Music X, etc). As you know, the world of DAW has evolved for music and film and is much more compatible with PT, Logic or DP with respect to non-linear editing :)

I live close to 495/117 .

Best

Philippe
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:55:49 AM by pneron »
A2000: OS3.1.4|Picasso II|Blizzard 68060@50 MHz|3xAD516 Sunrize cards|HydraNexus|Cocolino|Gotex Floppy Emulator |Mac OSX (main DAW) | Windows
Incredible Steps Film and Music

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 12:42:33 PM »
whoa.. x3.. thats awesome. 24 tracks.  now that would be something i'd love to see in action.  what's the project you're doing that could use the A2000?  

yea for me what started this whole amiga-based studio was for a video game I would like to make that was set in a post apocalyptics 1996.. so I thought it would be fun to make music with only gear that existed before that year..  

I've used modern stuff for awhile.  Nothing uber pro, but ableton, cubase, vst plugins, usb midi controllers, etc.  

Now it's kind of a deliberate "minimal" thing.. To deliberately work within various limitations and focus more on making music than getting lost in possibilities..  I found it really difficult to not want to just tinker and never really make music. I guess it's just how my brain works. :)

cool yea i'm down in Randolph, near Braintree, MA.  At some point it would be cool to connect with musicians around here.  I moved here from Nashville back in 2011.  Seems like there is lots of music going on.. but it seems very fragmented.  Boston is A LOT bigger than Nashville so I can see why, but yea it would be interesting to see if there are any musical hubs around for electronic musicians.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 01:02:25 PM by part12studios »