Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Modifying A500?  (Read 1056 times)

Description:

Modifying A500?
« on: February 12, 2003, 08:16:46 AM »
Having moved to my own home just two months ago, I started moving also all my computer stuff, stored during years.

My old A500 has appeared, and I don't feel like discarding it. The monitor is really big so I'd like to get rid of it and still be able of using the A500.

I've looking for schematics, components, cables... to connect a SVGA monitor to the A500 but it seems that this is not an easy problem. I have a Sony Trinitron sx-100. Does anybody knows of a solution?

In the other hand, would it be (at least theoretically) possible to "migrate" the internals of the A500 to a bigger box, connect an externad keyboard, a SCSI HD, etc etc???

Soldering capabilities assured

Thanks in advance.

Sh.

Offline Varthall

• Show only replies by Varthall
Re: Modifying A500?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 08:50:25 AM »

sheriff wrote:

I've looking for schematics, components, cables... to connect a SVGA monitor to the A500 but it seems that this is not an easy problem. I have a Sony Trinitron sx-100. Does anybody knows of a solution?

If you own a normal a500, to connect it to a svga monitor you would need an external scandoubler. AFAIK there are no schematics available for building one. If your Amiga is a 500+, then you can use a simpler interface: a vga adaptor, but it only works with system/workbench screens (productivity at 640x400), not with pal ones that games use. For the adaptor, see VGA_Hack on Aminet, under directory hard/hack.

In the other hand, would it be (at least theoretically) possible to "migrate" the internals of the A500 to a bigger box, connect an externad keyboard, a SCSI HD, etc etc???

Soldering capabilities assured

It' definitively possible, other people have done this in the past. But you will need a lot of time for this.

Varthall
AmigaOne XE - AmigaOS 4.1 - Freescale 7457 1GHz - 1GB ram
MPlayer for OS4: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mplayer-amigaos/

Offline Quixote

• Show only replies by Quixote
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 08:56:29 AM »
Sheriff shared:
...I've looking for schematics, components, cables... to connect a SVGA monitor to the A500 but it seems that this is not an easy problem. I have a Sony Trinitron sx-100. Does anybody knows of a solution?

;-) An external scan-doubler/flicker-fixer will allow you to connect VGA and SVGA miniotors to your A500.  Try Amibench or e-bay for second-hand units.  Also, I seem to recall that Micronik produced after-market tower conversion cases for every Amiga then in existance, including the A500.  I haven't heard anything since, though.  Another Internet search, maybe.

Offline Indoro

• Show only replies by Indoro
    • http://www.merlancia.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 10:12:19 AM »
Scandoubler/Flickerfixer adaters are the best way to go, if you want to use the machine to its full ability. You may order one from us, Some other dealers may also have them, but they will most likely be more expensive. Original Commodore SyncStrainer adapters are also available if you are interested.

Cheers,

//RC//

Offline artman

• Show only replies by artman
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2003, 02:37:38 AM »
Tom-D-Tek's Amiga Hack page used to have a really complete set of plans on stuffing an A-500 into a tower box.  Looked pretty impressive.  Check to see if the page is still active, might be what you need.

Offline blobrana

• Show only replies by blobrana
    • http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/home.html
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2003, 03:20:27 AM »
I`ve just put some info about towering an amiga on to my site...
http://mysite.freeserve.com/blobrana/database/topic.html

Still in construction.