Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Best monitor for Amiga emulation?  (Read 1392 times)

Description:

Offline SpeelgoedmannetjeTopic starter

• Show only replies by Speelgoedmannetje
Best monitor for Amiga emulation?
« on: May 30, 2015, 01:18:02 PM »
Hello all,

I currently do nothing with Amiga emulation as the blurryness and the lack of colour depth makes the "Amiga"-experience too stale for my senses. A real Amiga connected to a 1084 monitor is still the way to go for me.
Still, I want to be able to get that same experience of smoothness on my pc (yea yea I know I know)
I've tried to hook up a crt, an old Eizo 19" monitor, aside my normal screen and run emulation on that. Though colours were perfect, fast moving images in for instance Uridium 2 were utterly blurry and was stuttering because PAL 50hz was being shown at 60hz (the monitor's refresh rate could only be set between 60 and 85 herz).
I also tested Uridium 2 on my GP2X Wiz, which has an OLED screen, but on that the picture was also stuttering and blurry (though a really satisfying colour representation that outperforms the 1084).

I've done some research to get the ideal monitor and came across technologies like g-sync, lightboost/ulmb considering the stutter/blur elimination, and VA and IPS for better colour representation opposed to standard TN.

So far, I've found two monitors that might satisfy my needs:
Acer Predator XB270HU (27" is a bit too big for me, as well as it's price: €800)
Eizo Foris FG2421 (24", suits me nicely, as well as it's price, €420)

So I'm kinda leaning towards the Foris, but I'm not sure whether it can sync at 100hz with it's lightboost-like technology.
Any thoughts, or better, experiences?
And the canary said: \'chirp\'

Offline ElPolloDiabl

• Show only replies by ElPolloDiabl
Re: Best monitor for Amiga emulation?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 03:00:31 PM »
Could the monitor not be the problem, but how the emulation has been set up?
Try Winfellow. I have never had stuttering on that.
Things to try: Turn off sound emulation. Go for a very basic configuration. Also check DirectX problems (assuming you are using Windows).
Go Go Gadget Signature!

Offline danwood

• Show only replies by danwood
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 04:13:48 PM »
To be honest, you'll probably get a more satisfactory result with the CRT you're using now than with any LCD.  As you found originally, they only really look good at their default native resolution, anything else looks washed out, dull and pixelated.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 04:22:53 PM »
The 'stuttering' is barely noticeable, but if you've seen it once you keep noticing it.
In Uridium 2, in the intro screen, you can see the stars moving from left to right, and with 60 hertz, you can see it stop every second, while moving fluently on a 50 hertz screen. 50 hertz animation just converts very badly to 60 hertz, as the frames cannot be multiplied by an integer factor to 60 hertz. With 100 hertz, it can as the multiplication factor will be 2, or even 1 with black frame insertion wich greatly decreases blurryness. If with that the backlight strobes at 100 hertz, the moving picture will be sharp.
And with VA, IPS or OLED also colourful. :)

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 11:08:50 PM »
Well, I bought myself that Foris FG2421, and it does live up to expectations, after some fiddling with WinUAE settings.
The monitor does support both 100hz and 120hz. (as well as 60hz), which means PAL games aren't jerky, and with both the strobe function of the monitor enabled, the 'black frame insertion' checked in WinUAE, as well as the legacy VS, 50/60hz option selected in the display settings, I get buttersmooth animation, really CRT-like. The picture in Uridium 2 is totally perfect, and the monitor has really nice rich colours :D

Offline Oldsmobile_Mike

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »
Sounds nice!  For $600 USD, it better be!  :laughing:
Amiga 500: 2MB Chip|16MB Fast|30MHz 68030+68882|3.9|Indivision ECS|GVP A500HD+|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|Cocolino|SCSI DVD-RAM
Amiga 2000: 2MB Chip|136MB Fast|50MHz 68060|3.9|Indivision ECS + GVP Spectrum|Mechware card reader + 8GB CF|AD516|X-Surf 100|RapidRoad|Cocolino|SCSI CD-RW
 Amiga videos and other misc. stuff at https://www.youtube.com/CompTechMike/videos

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 01:01:01 AM »
Yea the price was a bit steep idd
But it's not only for emulation. Blurryness and lack of colour applies as well on current games.