Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "shocked and awed"!: MSN recommends Firefox  (Read 5408 times)

Description:

Offline Vincent

• Show only replies by Vincent
Re: "shocked and awed"!: MSN recommends Firefox
« Reply #29 from previous page: July 06, 2004, 12:19:24 PM »

Speelgoedmannetje wrote:
(I had to install IE6 because I have to use the faculty's website, wich is mainly based on 'blackboard', and wich can only be used with IE6)

Opera 7.51 can handle blackboard pages without a hitch, the same for csa's (the self-test thingumies).  Sioux needs to use them for her uni work and was very happy when she found out Opera can now do both no probs at all :-D
Speelgoedmannetje reccomends Opera as webbrowser :-)
:-D
Xbox360
"Oh no. Everytime you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
I don\'t think I have the stomach for it." - Raziel

Offline BigBenAussie

• Show only replies by BigBenAussie
Re: "shocked and awed"!: MSN recommends Firefox
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2004, 02:02:34 PM »
A couple of days ago after the IE security problems started to flare up I downloaded Mozilla 1.7. I have to say I am most unimpressed...especially with its rendering engine. IE feels as though it renders all the graphics and text at once but Mozilla jumps around like crazy and sometimes takes 5 or more seconds to render a page from here. And as I type this the cursor is practically on top of the last character I write. Really poor.

I have also installed Netscape 6 quite a while ago, and the stupid thing has obviously gone and grabbed the graphics from that install, resulting in a hodge podge of styles that makes me want to uninstall the bugger pronto.

IE hasn't been actively enhanced for a while because it is obvious that they've made the browser way too powerful now, with its DHTML support and whatnot, almost to the point where it is a competing API to Microsoft's Windows API. There's no point now in being the browser leader, as the adoption of open standards only hurts their attempts at lock in.

My 2 cents.
I cannot imagine an Amiga browser being worse than what I am currently experiencing. Oh man, I guess I'm in for a shock.