Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: zip drives  (Read 645 times)

Description:

Offline pooopTopic starter

• Show only replies by pooop
zip drives
« on: October 24, 2005, 12:41:44 AM »
Is there any alternative to idefix 97 to get a zip drive working on a buffered interface. OS 3.9 is supposed to support it (I think) but it isn't recognising it. :-?
Bite my glorious golden ass
A1200 Z4 Tower,80GB hard drive, Blizzard PPC 160/40 BVision GFX card,32" Wharfedale tv/monitor,100MB zip drive, CD RW,128MB Ram,PS2 keyboard/optical mouse 4xEIDE interface, OS3.9 boing bag 4

Offline Thomas

Re: zip drives
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 09:51:02 AM »

If by "buffered interface" you mean a 4-way adapter which offers two IDE channels and the ZIP drive is connected to the second channel, then no. Only the first channel of the interface is recognised by AmigaOS. If you connect the ZIP drive to the first channel (or even without the 4-way adapter) then it will be recognised by AmigaOS 3.9. For the second channel you need IDEfix.

Why don't you like IDEfix ? It is a very nice piece of software.

Bye,
Thomas

Offline Xanxi

• Show only replies by Xanxi
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:14:05 AM »
Zip drives are a real pain with amigaOS.

I recently intended to use one on my second channel with IDEFix and OS 3.1. I installed everything required, have read everything readable on internet about amiga and zip drives, tried master and slave. First it wasn't recognized at all, then it appeared as DF4: allowing me to back up my boot partition, then disapeared again for never coming back whatever tweak i could make.

Now i have trashed that damn zip drive and i rely only on CDRW for backup, and i feel much better :-D

In conclusion, zip drives don't deserve any attention. They are badly recognized, work slowly and are not a safe backup solution.

May be better with SCSI Zip, but i only had an IDE one.
10 Classic Amiga Computers so far: I have too many computers!!

Offline SamOS39

• Show only replies by SamOS39
    • http://amigaknight.tk
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:27:21 AM »
Wat about os3.9 that comes with all the iomega tools for zip/jaz drives.

i think it has an auto search tool on it and automaticaly finds for iomega drive.

im still working on my system but its nearly finish i have bought a zorro ide controller off the internet and once i get it in the post i can set up my 30GB HD, CD RW 52x, and ZIP drive and i cant wait.

i got the controoller off that german site (i think its called versellia or something like that) but they are great!

thares some realy cheap stuff on there!

Cheers

Sam. :-)

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 11:30:23 AM »
@ Xanxi

Ja, SCSI Zip drives are no problem on the Amiga. (I never tried an IDE one).

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 01:33:04 PM »
I have used IDEfix and is very good but don't have the registered version and the nag requesters are bloody annoying and nowhere is selling it anymore :smack:
A1200 Z4 Tower,80GB hard drive, Blizzard PPC 160/40 BVision GFX card,32" Wharfedale tv/monitor,100MB zip drive, CD RW,128MB Ram,PS2 keyboard/optical mouse 4xEIDE interface, OS3.9 boing bag 4

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 08:56:26 PM »
Will OS 3.9 recognise an external zip drive?

Rob