Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Zip Plus doesn't work with Adaptec SCSI card  (Read 810 times)

Description:

Offline amiga1260Topic starter

• Show only replies by amiga1260
Zip Plus doesn't work with Adaptec SCSI card
« on: August 20, 2004, 09:40:26 PM »
I have an Adaptec 2904 CD SCSI card. The ZIP drive works only when no other SCSI devices fitted. Now I fitted a SCSI harddisk in my PC, but the Zip Plus doesn't work together.

The Zip drive is fitted with the original cable with a gender changer.

This setup works with a Squirrel SCSI controller and with the Blizzard SCSI kit. :-)

Offline X-ray

• Show only replies by X-ray
Re: Zip Plus doesn't work with Adaptec SCSI card
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 10:24:04 PM »
I had a lot of problems with my PC scsi card, also an Adaptec (probably the same one: in your device manager does it say AIC-7850 ?)

I had a 1gb HD in my A4000T and an external CD-rom, and a Zip-100 external, all of them SCSI. They all worked fine on the amiga. When I connected the ZIp-100 to the PC externally, it worked fine. As soon as I added the internal HD, no SCSI devices showed. It was like a SCSI conflict with the IDs, but they were all different. Then I unpluggedd the Zip drive and the internal 1gb drive was visible.
I tried quite a few combinations and my conclusion was that I couldn't have an internal and external device connected to that Adaptec card at the same time.
So I asked Adaptec tech suport for help. And I am sorry to report that they bounced me around back and forth via email, asking really stupid stuff IN EVERY email, about termination, SCSI IDs and the possibility that the devices were damaged. No matter how many times I told them the IDs and termination were not the problem, they just didn't want to know. In the end they routed me over to a survey screen that asks how well the tech support helped me. My comments were not favourable.

So, at the moment I have an external 1 gb HD that is connected to the A4000T and the PC simultaneously (but not when they are both on, as it corrupts the Amiga side something terrible). I use it to transfer files. But the Adaptec won't take an internal device too. I think you have a similar problem to me, pal.

Offline adolescent

• Show only replies by adolescent
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 03:16:08 AM »
Make sure the HD and the Zip drive are have different IDs and correct termination.  On the 2904 you have a single channel that spans the internal and external connection.  (You also might want to verify if you can use both connections at the same time.  Some cards do not allow this.)

Time to move on.  Bye Amiga.org.  :(

Offline amiga1260Topic starter

• Show only replies by amiga1260
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 08:31:24 AM »
When I attach an external SCSI CD-ROM, this problem won't happen.

I think I buy another SCSI controller like the DAW 2974 controller and has auto boot function.

Offline motrucker

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 04:46:46 PM »
The Adaptech PCI cards are very touchy about termination! This sounds like your trouble.
OF course zip drives are also known for not working on many setups.
A2000 GVP 40MHz \'030, 21Mb RAM SD/FF, 2 floppies, internal CD-ROM drive, micromys v3 w/laser mouse
A1000 Microbotics Starboard II w/2Mb 1080, & external floppy (AIRdrive)
C-128 w/1571, 1750, & Final Cartridge III+

Offline Schoenfeld

• Show only replies by Schoenfeld
    • http://icomp.de
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2004, 07:59:43 AM »
I don't have such bad experience with ZIP drives. The IDE versions work fine on any Buddha/X-Surf/IDE-fix/Catweasel Z-II setup, and the parallelport version works fine on the VarIO (drivers included).

The trick on SCSI is mostly termination. Since most controllers have two connections (internal and external), you might have ended up with three terminations - bad!

If the internal and the external connections are used, the onboard-termination of a PCI SCSI controller must be disabled. For the two SCSI streams, the same rules apply: The last device on the chain must be terminated. That is the physically last device, regardless of it's unit number.

Jens Schoenfeld